Burnley midfielder Joey Barton has been banned from football for 18 months after admitting a Football Association charge in relation to betting.
The 34-year-old has been fined £30,000 and warned about his future conduct after being charged with breaking FA rules for placing 1,260 bets on matches between 26 March 2006 and 13 May 2016.
Barton plans to appeal against the length of the suspension.
"The decision effectively forces me into an early retirement," said Barton.
In a statement on his website,
Barton stressed that "this is not match fixing" and that at "no point in any of this is my integrity in question".
He added: "I accept that I broke the rules governing professional footballers, but I do feel the penalty is heavier than it might be for other less controversial players.
"I have fought addiction to gambling and provided the FA with a medical report about my problem - I'm disappointed it wasn't taken into proper consideration."
Barton also called on the FA to do more to tackle the culture of gambling in football.
He said: "If the FA is truly serious about tackling the culture of gambling in football, it needs to look at its own dependence on the gambling companies, their role in football and in sports broadcasting, rather than just blaming the players who place a bet."
Betting company Ladbrokes is currently one of the FA's main commercial partners.
Players in England's top eight tiers are banned from betting on football.
The former Manchester City and Newcastle player rejoined Burnley in January, having left Scottish Premiership side Rangers in November.
In the same month, he was given a one-match ban for breaking Scottish Football Association rules on gambling.
Barton admitted the Scottish FA charge of placing 44 bets between 1 July and 15 September 2016, while he was a player at Ibrox.
Barton betting timeline
- 24 May 2016: Joins Rangers from Burnley on a two-year deal
- 19 September 2016: Banned for six weeks for a training ground altercation
- 20 September 2016: Investigated by Scottish FA over breach of betting rules
- 10 November 2016: Barton and Rangers agree to terminate his contract
- 17 November 2016 : Given a one-match suspension for breaking Scottish FA rules on gambling
- 20 December 2016: Rejoins Burnley on a short-term contract
- 3 February 2017: Accepts a FA charge that he placed 1,260 bets on matches over the past 10 years
- 26 April 2017: Banned for 18 months