Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 220

Thread: Footy bets

  1. #21
    Moderator deany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny Preston
    Posts
    14,313
    Im shite at this betting lark.
    Found myself betting on teams I know sod all about.
    Tend to go for favourites but do doubles or triples...

    Im behind on returns currently....

  2. #22
    First Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    plungy
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by deany View Post
    Im shite at this betting lark.
    Found myself betting on teams I know sod all about.
    Tend to go for favourites but do doubles or triples...

    Im behind on returns currently....
    Well, you're in good company then. Along with me and the rest of the punters on here.

  3. #23
    Assistant Manager healey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newcastle/Preston
    Posts
    5,052
    Quote Originally Posted by deany View Post
    Im shite at this betting lark.
    Found myself betting on teams I know sod all about.
    Tend to go for favourites but do doubles or triples...

    Im behind on returns currently....
    Quote Originally Posted by PNE Plungy View Post
    Well, you're in good company then. Along with me and the rest of the punters on here.
    In fairness football is arguably the most difficult sport to bet on. Value is scarce across the big leagues, although there's probably more opportunities in the lower leagues. Every time I've given footy betting a proper go I've fallen on my arse in dramatic fashion. Nice to have the odd bet now and again when you spot something but important to not get sucked into betting when you have no edge (even if it's recreational) as you may as well be on the FOBTs!

  4. #24
    Moderator deany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny Preston
    Posts
    14,313
    Quote Originally Posted by healey View Post
    In fairness football is arguably the most difficult sport to bet on. Value is scarce across the big leagues, although there's probably more opportunities in the lower leagues. Every time I've given footy betting a proper go I've fallen on my arse in dramatic fashion. Nice to have the odd bet now and again when you spot something but important to not get sucked into betting when you have no edge (even if it's recreational) as you may as well be on the FOBTs!
    Fair comment.
    What type of things would you consider to be safer bets out of interest?

  5. #25
    Assistant Manager healey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newcastle/Preston
    Posts
    5,052
    Quote Originally Posted by deany View Post
    Fair comment.
    What type of things would you consider to be safer bets out of interest?
    No such thing as a safe bet really. It's best to think about value rather than safety as that's the core principle of punting. People get drawn into backing short prices (eg man city around 1/3 v celtic tonight) because they want to 'pick winners', or 'bankers' as they're often referred to, but the harsh reality is none of us can predict the future! Therefore it's not about 'picking winners' it's about picking value, something where you have the edge as the casinos do with roulette, blackjack etc.. Focus on the difference in what you think the price should be vs what the price actually is, rather than just the price itself

  6. #26
    Moderator Guinness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    11,714
    Quote Originally Posted by healey View Post
    No such thing as a safe bet really. It's best to think about value rather than safety as that's the core principle of punting. People get drawn into backing short prices (eg man city around 1/3 v celtic tonight) because they want to 'pick winners', or 'bankers' as they're often referred to, but the harsh reality is none of us can predict the future! Therefore it's not about 'picking winners' it's about picking value, something where you have the edge as the casinos do with roulette, blackjack etc.. Focus on the difference in what you think the price should be vs what the price actually is, rather than just the price itself
    I try to refrain from betting on Celtic, you never know who's gonna turn up... The Celtic that lost to Lincoln red imps or the Celtic that drew with Man City tonight.

  7. #27
    Moderator Jack Daniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    PR2
    Posts
    28,407
    20 on Croatia, Serbia and a late late show from Iceland returned 65-09 tonight.
    Last edited by Jack Daniels; 06-10-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: 09, not 08
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

  8. #28
    Moderator Guinness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    11,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    20 on Croatia, Serbia and a late late show from Iceland returned 65-09 tonight.
    I put a quid on Iceland with about 15 minutes to go and it returned 28

  9. #29
    First Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,227
    My weekend acca has just been ruined by Faroe Islands beating Latvia in Latvia.
    As they say, no such thing as a guaranteed winner at this game.

  10. #30
    Moderator Guinness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    11,714
    Wales drawing at home to fucking georgia lost me 500 worth of winnings. I wouldn't mind but any other day they would have won by 2 or 3 goals.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •