Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Driving down Fishergate ???

Assistant Manager northender0602's Avatar
    does this new road come out on to the junction of Friargate and the ring road at the side of that chinese buffet place? If it does, it will be fun getting out of town with those lights, they only change after the other 3 sets have gone twice, unless they have sorted them out. I too thought Fleet Street would have been the better option myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Waddie View Post
    Just seen the new road to take the traffic out of St Georges.

Well done to the council for taking vehicles straight to the city ring road, and with just a little bit more thought they could have allowed people to travel in either direction on the city's main arterial road!

Why oh why didn't they turn Fleet street into two way with lights at the main junction allowing you to turn in any direction you wanted? Plonkers
    Was very confused when I saw what had been done. As you've mentioned, I was expecting Fleet Street to become 2-way and be added to the traffic lights at Ringway.

I can only assume the plan is to direct people going to Penwortham, Ashton, Fulwood etc that way and those heading towards WLD, Brig, the M6 etc through Avenham and Frenchwood.

As for the cameras it seems the four sets of signs still isn't stopping people from going past Theatre Street between 11am-6pm!

It comes out the other side of the public hall (or whatever it's called). basically the public hall is an island with Fleet St on one side and the new road at the other. You come out of the car park and turn right onto Lune St (formally one way) but instead of bearing left into Fleet St you turn right, as if going into the mobility place (if it's still there), obviously crossing the traffic coming along Fleet St, and joining the new section just at the other side of the public hall and only allowed to turn left onto the ring road.

At present there is a no U turn sign at the ring road, corporation st lights, so you can easily get south of the river or towards Lea, and awkwardly everywhere else!
    Bald and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Waddie View Post
    Just seen the new road to take the traffic out of St Georges.

Well done to the council for taking vehicles straight to the city ring road, and with just a little bit more thought they could have allowed people to travel in either direction on the city's main arterial road!

Why oh why didn't they turn Fleet street into two way with lights at the main junction allowing you to turn in any direction you wanted? Plonkers
    Is the corner at the bottom of Lune Street wide enough to cope with cars coming from the car park and those coming up Lune Street from the ring road? I think it's been said previously that it isn't. It does seem a tight turn so perhaps not. Do buses still come up Lune Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Is the corner at the bottom of Lune Street wide enough to cope with cars coming from the car park and those coming up Lune Street from the ring road? I think it's been said previously that it isn't. It does seem a tight turn so perhaps not. Do buses still come up Lune Street?
    After negotiating the hairpins of the car park I dont think that a sharp bend would pose any problem. Didn't it used to be two way?

If Fleet street stays one way then only one lane of it can be used anyway as at the bend it will be 2 way
    Bald and proud