Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile over in Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    Most of us dont really give a sh.t what a woman does or doesnt wear, Nobs.
    I think you missed the point of the story. (on purpose, of course)

Maybe if you cared more about the freedom of these women it would be better

Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    Yet another country bans full face coverings.

Common sense.
    Big racists!

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by PNEESSEX View Post
    Why? We have MPs to make laws, it isnt frigging X Factor where you get to vote every week
    The left are scared of having one because they know they'll loose. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    Yet another country bans full face coverings.

Common sense.
    Can anyone clarify what has actually been banned as there's numerous types of Islamic headcoverings and most people don't know their burkas from their chadors.

The vast majority wear hijaab but an increasing, and worryingly younger minority, wear niqab. Very rarely some wear a burka.

Obviously all Islamic dress, male and female, should be banned in Europe but it'll take a while for common sense to prevail.
    Jillhad - a peaceful and tolerant fight back

Quote Originally Posted by princeinpieces View Post
    Can anyone clarify what has actually been banned as there's numerous types of Islamic headcoverings and most people don't know their burkas from their chadors.

From The Independent Online

Ban will not be enforced on the streets, but will apply to public transport.

MPs in the Netherlands have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a ban on wearing face-covering Islamic veils in some public places, including schools, hospitals, government buildings and on public transport.

The rule which will outlaw all face coverings including ski-masks and helmets was approved by 132 members of the 150-seat house.

It will now go before the Senate, where it must be approved before becoming law.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PneFinney View Post
    The left are scared of having one because they know they'll loose. Simple.
    We live in a parliamentary democracy, so referenda are not the way to govern the country nor the way to make laws.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by princeinpieces View Post

The vast majority wear hijaab but an increasing, and worryingly younger minority, wear niqab. Very rarely some wear a burka.

Obviously all Islamic dress, male and female, should be banned in Europe but it'll take a while for common sense to prevail.
    I assume you're taking the piss.....

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkytinky View Post
    From The Independent Online

MPs in the Netherlands have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a ban on wearing face-covering Islamic veils in some public places, including schools, hospitals, government buildings and on public transport.

The rule which will outlaw all face coverings including ski-masks and helmets was approved by 132 members of the 150-seat house.

It will now go before the Senate, where it must be approved before becoming law.
    I agree with this, it's not a religious or sectarian thing, it's just wrong to have your face covered, it creates suspicion and distrust, there is no need to do it.

And I hate bikers and skiers !!!
    Last edited by europne; 30-11-2016 at 11:40 AM.

No woman in a burqa (or a hijab or a burkini) has ever done me any harm. But I was sacked (without explanation) by a man in a suit. Men in suits missold me pensions and endowments, costing me thousands of pounds. A man in a suit led us on a disastrous and illegal war. Men in suits led the banks and crashed the world economy. Other men in suits then increased the misery to millions through austerity. If we are to start telling people what to wear, maybe we should ban suits.

Henry Stewart
    London
    This will be ignored despite it being bang on the nail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliper
    I'm a Corbynite now

Substitute
    I have no love of full face coverings and I can't help believe it subjagates women. Islam isn't the only religion that does this but certain middle east cultures do suppress women. Those societies are run by men, families are run by men.

However, I can't help but think that this thread is just another bunch of men who want to dictate what women can or cannot wear.

As for a referendum - that's blatantly ridiculous - why should anyone on here have a say on this. The only people that should be consulted are Muslim women.

Unbelievably, with Paul Nuttal being ukip leader abortion is back on the agenda - it seems to me a lot of people want to have control over women's bodies, whether or not it is disguised as benevolence.

Rather than just ban something we should be encouraging and creating safe spaces for muslim women to escape to if dropping the veil will bring them trouble. We need to accept that tolerating religious freedom doesn't give a free pass to ugly patriarchy. One thing men can do is if they hear or see other men treating women like shit they challenge it - and it's not just the horrible wife beating stuff, it's who does the housework, who has a say - and that's hard because we have to challenge our own and others behaviour.

I'd like to see an end to 'enforced modesty'. But bans and referenda do nothing to help women.