Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Internet off for a week. What are my rights?

Sky Internet off for a week. What are my rights?

hi all, bit of help needed.

My internet has not been working since last Wednesday, Sky were notified straight away. After calling every day this week, had an engineer out thursday but didn't know the problem at the time, I finally got an answer what was wrong with it yesterday and apparently (to cut a long story short) BT Openreach are waiting for permission from the council to dig a road up near me and fix the problem. the problem is totally external and in Openreach's hands.

Now, I'm absolutely blasting the data on my phone and getting pretty pissed off not having any internet. They say they are going to refund me, but it will only be the cost I would be paying which I guess I'll get a refund for a tenner at the most.

Is there anything I can do? to be honest, they've pissed me off that it took a week to get an answer what was actually wrong when i knew all along it was external but they still made me do diagnostic tests that I knew wouldn't make a difference. Can I just cancel my contract and go elsewhere? Everyone's internet on my street with Virgin is working so I wouldn't mind testing them out!

Quote Originally Posted by tom23 View Post

My internet has not been working since last Wednesday, Sky were notified straight away. After calling every day this week, had an engineer out thursday but didn't know the problem at the time, I finally got an answer what was wrong with it yesterday and apparently (to cut a long story short) BT Openreach are waiting for permission from the council to dig a road up near me and fix the problem. the problem is totally external and in Openreach's hands.

Now, I'm absolutely blasting the data on my phone and getting pretty pissed off not having any internet. They say they are going to refund me, but it will only be the cost I would be paying which I guess I'll get a refund for a tenner at the most.

Is there anything I can do? to be honest, they've pissed me off that it took a week to get an answer what was actually wrong when i knew all along it was external but they still made me do diagnostic tests that I knew wouldn't make a difference. Can I just cancel my contract and go elsewhere? Everyone's internet on my street with Virgin is working so I wouldn't mind testing them out!
    Ring them up and tell them how pissed off you are so you're leaving, they will offer you all sorts of goodies to keep you with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
    Ring them up and tell them how pissed off you are so you're leaving, they will offer you all sorts of goodies to keep you with them.
    Natalie Sawyer if you're really really really lucky!
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
    Am I within my rights to do that though? I think i'm contracted till June.

My broadband connection isn't working, but I'm still being charged

Some interruptions to your service, included those due to faults, are covered in your contract and aren't all that unusual. Generally, they'll be fixed within a few hours. Of course, you're entitled to a working service provided with reasonable skill and care - so your providermustget them fixed or reduce your bill to reflect how long you had to go without broadband.
    Contact your provider as soon as you notice a fault, and wait for it to get fixed. If it's not resolved quickly, then it's time to complain.
    You also have the right to cancel your contract without penalty if your broadband doesn't work for four whole weeks after it's activated. Inform your provider in writing that you intend to cancel, in this case.
    https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/g...onsumer-rights
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

Not sure, do it in June!

You can request a pro-rata refund/reduction for the time you have been without the service. Sky are usually very good about this.
    "I went to Blackpool once It was like walking through a Hieronymus Bosch painting. It was then that I decided to go home. God obviously cant see Blackpool. If he could, hed burn it". Miles Cross

Assistant Manager
    By not providing you with the Internet connection, I would have thought they are not sticking to their part of the deal. The contract basically says they will provide you with Internet, and you pay them whatever amount each month. By not honouring their part of the deal surely they are in breach of the contract and making it null and void just as you would be if you failed to pay said monthly fee. They'd soon cut you off for that.

The reason for the diagnostic tests is because Openreach will charge Sky if they are to send an engineer and it's a problem with the Sky router or the Sky software in the telephone exchange. Then they have to have permission to dig as do any utilities, which is down to council rules.....more delays!
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    By not providing you with the Internet connection, I would have thought they are not sticking to their part of the deal. The contract basically says they will provide you with Internet, and you pay them whatever amount each month. By not honouring their part of the deal surely they are in breach of the contract and making it null and void just as you would be if you failed to pay said monthly fee. They'd soon cut you off for that.
    It's not sky's fault BT own the monopoly of supplying land line, but they are fucking useless, Sky can't dig up the road, but good if they could and price out openreach, but until, monopolies are removed, live with it, or lobby your MP.
    "You will be better advised to watch what we do instead of what we say"
    A. A. Milne

Support the Revolution