Thread: Travel tracking.

Travel tracking.

My life has changed somewhat with the bus time apps, do you have them in Preston.

I can now in London, wherever I am, can find the nearest bus stop, and it tells me where the bus is and how long it will be and where it goes.

Independent of those steaming things streaming times at important bus-stops. Wherever you are GPS, tells you everything, how far to walk which way, and next bus ( you have to careful of tandem scooters, because if you have your phone in your hand they snatch it. be alert!.
    Last edited by outreacher; 02-12-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    "You will be better advised to watch what we do instead of what we say"
    A. A. Milne

Support the Revolution

I'm pretty sure that Preston were the first town to implement signs on the bus stops with real time ETAs of the next bus. It lasted a couple of years before being turned off, probably due to cost.

Can see it being useful in somewhere like London.

Yep - they are good, not many about unless in busy areas, this is an app, that tells you every bus within an area of wherever you want, and shows where it is at your current time.
    A. A. Milne

Support the Revolution

Use Bus checker now and again, used to be a local Lancashire one but that could not be sustained so pointed you towards Bus checker.
    Does the job for me although I usually know my times and route.

Found the Real time ETA to be next to useless myself, you would watch the time countdown to the next bus, 5 min, 3 min, 1 min, Bus due... and then the sign would show next bus due in 10 mins!. They just come and went as if the system did not exist.

Money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Use Bus checker now and again, used to be a local Lancashire one but that could not be sustained so pointed you towards Bus checker.
    Does the job for me although I usually know my times and route.

Found the Real time ETA to be next to useless myself, you would watch the time countdown to the next bus, 5 min, 3 min, 1 min, Bus due... and then the sign would show next bus due in 10 mins!. They just come and went as if the system did not exist.

Money well spent.
    Found out what they do is if they turn a bus around, pull one out of service that don't remove it from the countdown for a long time so you might be waiting for a ghost bus, but generally it is fairly accurate.
    A. A. Milne

Support the Revolution

Lots of Ghost buses here then mate, used to be spot on when it was first used but then we had a Preston Bus and Stagecoach "Rivalry" kick off trying to tempt passengers, and each Company had staff on the Streets (in busy areas and routes) at Bus stops informing when to send Buses when large queues had formed.

After that died down the Buses did come but nothing like the times stated. Think somewhere along the line someone gave up on the thing and while it was "online" at bus stops the times did not seem to tally.

Saw one of the London apps when I was going there last year and that looked good (mainly for London though I think).