Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This is how Privatised Rail Works.

This is how Privatised Rail Works.

A ticket from Preston to London costs 3 times more than a ticket from Lancaster to London.

Mark Menzies claims the company is “milking” passengers between Preston and London by charging more than three times as much as those from Lancaster travelling on the same trains. “I find it abhorrent,” said the Fylde MP who has pledged to raise the matter in Parliament. “It is a very poorly thought-out pricing policy and it must stop now.”

A ticket on the 7.58am Euston service from Preston last Thursday cost £145, while travellers from Lancaster – 20 miles further north – were charged only £46.60.

Virgin said peak time prices reflected the high number of business travellers catching trains at Preston, adding that lower fares were available outside peak times.

Mr Menzies’ protest follows the case of a passenger from his constituency who was threatened with arrest after buying a cheaper ticket from Lancaster and boarding the train at Preston. The businessman, a regular rail traveller to the capital, was ordered by the conductor to pay the full fare on the spot or risk prosecution. It has now emerged that some rail users have been getting on at Preston, travelling north to Lancaster and then boarding trains to London at the cheaper fares. Another passenger claimed he bought a ticket from London to Lancaster and, when he tried to get off early at Preston, he was told he must continue his journey through to Lancaster and then get a train back to Preston. Otherwise he would be committing fraud.

Single fares to London on Thursday last week cost £46.60 from Lancaster on the 7.38am service, but £145 from Preston on the same train departing at 7.58am. Returning on the 4.30pm service from Euston, the cheapest ticket to Preston cost £82, but only £42.50 for passengers continuing on to Lancaster. For a journey next Monday, the return journey costs £227 from Preston to London Euston. The return journey to Lancaster – one stop further away from the capital – on the same train, costs £89.10, a difference of £137.90. Tickets from Lancaster can be bought off-peak, whereas the same train is classified as peak when it arrives at Preston and continues to London. “As a member of the Transport Select Committee, I’m not standing to the side and watching something that is continually hurting my hard-working constituents who need to travel to London,” said Mark Menzies. “It is a very poorly-thought out pricing policy and it must stop now. “Passengers are being charged a premium to travel some 40 fewer miles on the railway, and prevented from travelling at peak times.”

The row comes less than six months after it was revealed rail travellers could pay more for a standard anytime return ticket between Preston and Euston than people booking a five-night holiday in New York. The fare, booked at Preston railway station on the day, cost an eye-watering £344 - rising to £362.70 with a tube ticket into the city centre. At the same time a holiday firm came up with a five-night break in Manhattan, including flights and a three-star hotel, for just £360.

A return ticket as a Virgin Business customer between Preston and London can cost just over £500. So it can be cheaper to travel abroad - and spend two weeks in a hotel. For £351 you can book a return flight from Manchester to Moscow. Travellers to Madrid can pay £277 for a return flight, rising to £452 with a two-week stay in the hotel.

A spokesman for Virgin Trains on the west coast route said: “Virgin Trains has for many years relaxed peak restrictions on some of its longer distance routes where we have more leisure travellers who are less likely to be commuting into London in the busy peak period. That’s not the case at Preston where there are a lot of business travellers who need to travel to and from London at peak times. Of course, if passengers are able to be flexible and travel outside peak times from Preston they can get lower fares.”

http://www.lep.co.uk/your-lancashire...gers-1-8325638
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    A ticket from Preston to London costs 3 times more than a ticket from Lancaster to London.

Simples.. book your ticket from Lancaster and get on at Preston.

Slips money saving tips..
    If you pay to watch the Premier League.. you are part of the problem !

Manager
    I haven't read the whole article but get the gist.

I am sure a nationalised rail would also have strange payment mechanisms in place and would possibly charge more for higher demand

Quote Originally Posted by One of our own View Post
    I haven't read the whole article but get the gist.

I am sure a nationalised rail would also have strange payment mechanisms in place and would possibly charge more for higher demand
    I used to turn up at the railway station buy a ticket and get on a train to London. what it cost it cost, you didnt need to be a mathematical genius, the ticket price was the ticket price.
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by sliper View Post
    Simples.. book your ticket from Lancaster and get on at Preston.

Slips money saving tips..
    Did you read the article?????? I know there's lots of words in there and that, but one of the points made was that someone boarding at Preston with a ticket from Lancaster, was forced to pay the full fare or be prosecuted. Is your tip based in a % of the fine income???

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post

IntercIty NorthEnd Supporters have known about this for a long time and acted accordingly............ Being forced to get back on a train and travel to Lancaster or be done for fraud is a new one on me though ( nice twist )........
    Vote For John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by PNEESSEX View Post
    Did you read the article?????? I know there's lots of words in there and that, but one of the points made was that someone boarding at Preston with a ticket from Lancaster, was forced to pay the full fare or be prosecuted. Is your tip based in a % of the fine income???
    Yes.. a quick calculation based on trains journeys between Preston and Lancaster over a 5 year period.. during which I haven't been asked for a ticket on the train once.

If you are the nervous type buy a ticket from Lancaster to Preston and show that if challenged.. you are still quids in.

Are they really going to check the video to check where every passenger with a Lancaster got on ? I don't think so !
    Last edited by sliper; 10-01-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    If you pay to watch the Premier League.. you are part of the problem !

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by sliper View Post
    Yes.. a quick calculation based on trains journeys between Preston and Lancaster over a 5 year period.. during which I haven't been asked for a ticket on the train once.

If you are the nervous type buy a ticket from Lancaster to Preston and show that if challenged.. you are still quids in.
    It's a bit like the BA scam: it's cheaper to fly from Europe to the USA than it is from Heathrow. So you start your journey in Dublin, or Amsterdam or Oslo, go via LHR and thence to USA. On the way back, you're supposed to go all the way through to where you started your journey, but, as long as you don't check your luggage all the way through, you can terminate your journey at Heathrow......it saves significant amounts of £££££

Do sensible countries use "yield management" for public transport? Honestly don't know.
    How does Germany, France etc work?

Sent from my B5060 using Tapatalk

Pricing legislation on " pence per mile " ( fluctuating on peak/ quiet times ) might be a better approach........ Mind you, we'd need to re nationalise the railways......or God forbid we'd upset private enterprise ( skankers ) ..
    Vote For John Brown