Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This is how Privatised Rail Works.

Quote Originally Posted by PNEESSEX View Post
    It's a bit like the BA scam: it's cheaper to fly from Europe to the USA than it is from Heathrow. So you start your journey in Dublin, or Amsterdam or Oslo, go via LHR and thence to USA. On the way back, you're supposed to go all the way through to where you started your journey, but, as long as you don't check your luggage all the way through, you can terminate your journey at Heathrow......it saves significant amounts of £££££
    Hmmm.. So do fly to Oslo first ? And parachute out over London on the way back ? I see Norwegian Airlines are offering flights to Boston for £134..

It's going to be disastrous* losing these deals when we leave the EU...

* copyright LIS.
    If you pay to watch the Premier League.. you are part of the problem !

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by sliper View Post
    Hmmm.. So do fly to Oslo first ? And parachute out over London on the way back ? I see Norwegian Airlines are offering flights to Boston for £134..

It's going to be disastrous* losing these deals when we leave the EU...

* copyright LIS.
    Fly to AMS or DUB or OSL and then back again. Routing includes plane change at LHR or LGW. There's big savings to be made that more than cover the cost of the single flight to OSL or equivalent. Easy to save £500+ Per head on a return flight to LA. It's a quirk of BA Pricing.....I can't imagine 7 hours on Norwegian to BOS......with no leg room

Fly to AMS or DUB or OSL and then back again. Routing includes plane change at LHR or LGW. There's big savings to be made that more than cover the cost of the single flight to OSL or equivalent. Easy to save £500+ Per head on a return flight to LA. It's a quirk of BA Pricing.....I can't imagine 7 hours on Norwegian to BOS......with no leg room
    Never flown with them.. Booked Vueling last trip and was impressed. Brand new plane

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by sliper View Post
    Never flown with them.. Booked Vueling last trip and was impressed. Brand new plane
    Vueling are owned by IAG which is BA, Iberia etc. I tend to fly Ryanair or Easyjet for shorthaul as they're the main users of my local airport. For longhaul it's generally BA or Virgin. I'm not sure where my nearest Vueling hub is

Have to say what a pity it has to be the Fylde Tory MP who is highlighting this problem, where is Prestons Mr invisible, Mark Hendrick? He hasnt even posted on twitter for a month!
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes."

Mahatma Ghandhi

Assistant Manager northender0602's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
    IntercIty NorthEnd Supporters have known about this for a long time and acted accordingly............ Being forced to get back on a train and travel to Lancaster or be done for fraud is a new one on me though ( nice twist )........
    My sister has booked tickets from Lancaster and got on a Preston for yonks. Also cheaper to buy from Lancaster to London than Manchester to London I believe, that's why you see all the tickets, reserving seats with no one in them. Someone should challenge them regards prosecution, least they have paid, just got on at a different station closer to their destination.

Vueling are owned by IAG which is BA, Iberia etc. I tend to fly Ryanair or Easyjet for shorthaul as they're the main users of my local airport. For longhaul it's generally BA or Virgin. I'm not sure where my nearest Vueling hub is
    Thought it was strange that passengers were also called for Iberia and BA..

Meanwhile the 32nd day of industrial action hits commuters in the South East...

Southern strike January 2017: Commuters' fury as day two of walkout cripples Overground and Tube
    Wednesday was the 32nd day of strike action to hit the beleaguered railway since the start of the dispute. Aslef’s 1,000 Southern drivers are this week staging three days of walk-outs in the long-running row over the introduction of driver-only trains.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3437651.html
    "Britain is the only colony in the British Empire and it is up to us now
    to liberate ourselves."

Support the Revolution

Chief Anal Acoustician jcfartpants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One of our own View Post
    I haven't read the whole article but get the gist.

I am sure a nationalised rail would also have strange payment mechanisms in place and would possibly charge more for higher demand
    Quote Originally Posted by althepal View Post
    Do sensible countries use "yield management" for public transport? Honestly don't know.
    How does Germany, France etc work?

Sent from my B5060 using Tapatalk
    I'm going off memory here but having used the trains in both countries I'm pretty sure that in France and Germany it's on a price per mile function. There are a lot of things in this country that are just fucked up thanks to our usual friends.
    East Midlands Branch

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by outreacher View Post
    Meanwhile the 32nd day of industrial action hits commuters in the South East...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3437651.html
    Surely Southern Rail are starting to breach their contract to provide the service now?

The government should tell Southern Rail they've got 30 days to resolve the dispute or they lose the contract. Then tell the Union it's employees are employed by Southern Rail, and if they don't negotiate, Southern Rail will lose the contract and they'll all be out of a job. Pretty sure they'll find an agreement fairly quickly.

That could then re-open the re-nationalisation discussion. I may surprise a few people here but I'm actually pro nationalisation of transport!