Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Trains - PNE

Reserve Team

Virgin Trains - PNE

Virgin trains are ripping Preston people off with their fares. A fare from Lancaster to London will be cheaper than catching the same train from Preston. The fare from Preston can be up to 3 times dearer than from Lancsater. PNE fans need to put pressure on the club to immediately cancel all association with this disgraceful organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by blackprince9 View Post
    Virgin trains are ripping Preston people off with their fares. A fare from Lancaster to London will be cheaper than catching the same train from Preston. The fare from Preston can be up to 3 times dearer than from Lancsater. PNE fans need to put pressure on the club to immediately cancel all association with this disgraceful organisation.
    book the ticket from lancaster then board the train at preston
    when i was young i had no sense
    i brought a flute for 50 pence
    the only tune i could play
    was fuck the P_ _ _ and the I_ _

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by pneveg View Post
    Gotta love a bit logic.

Reserve Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Norts 1531 View Post
    Gotta love a bit logic.
    Yeh, and when they check your ticket you run the risk of being charged the full fare from Preston in addition to what you have already paid. Smart arse.

Quote Originally Posted by pneveg View Post
    Had a look on their twitter feed earlier and they responded to one person saying that it is "not permitted".

It's an absolute disgrace tbh. Happy to play the good guys putting on some special trains and etc. yet more than happy to shaft Prestonians with their pricing structures.

First Team
    This has been the case for years. Preston is seen as a "hub" station where folk from all over Lancashire travel through to get to their destination, whereas Lancaster has a far smaller catchment area.
    You can book your ticket from and to Lancaster, but as has been said if you are caught boarding at Preston rather than Lancaster, you'll be charged the difference. However, you can leave the train in Preston and get away with that. I'm north Preston so use Lancaster out and Preston home and you're right; most of the time it's much cheaper.

Simple way to beat this.

Book a Preston / Lancaster return.

Book a Lancaster / London return.

Preston / Lancaster is 14 minutes if IRRC.

Saves you loads of all for 30m - 60m traveling / waiting time.

There is a Saturday Supersaver inc Bus / Tube for 51-05 on Trainline.com from Preston. That is my tip.
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Reserve Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohnotagain View Post
    This has been the case for years. Preston is seen as a "hub" station where folk from all over Lancashire travel through to get to their destination, whereas Lancaster has a far smaller catchment area.
    You can book your ticket from and to Lancaster, but as has been said if you are caught boarding at Preston rather than Lancaster, you'll be charged the difference. However, you can leave the train in Preston and get away with that. I'm north Preston so use Lancaster out and Preston home and you're right; most of the time it's much cheaper.
    You are right these fare anomalies have been going on for years, but that still doesnt make it right. PNE are in partnership with Virgin trains, who appear happy to continue to shaft its customers. I understand that if caught leaving the train at Preston, after having purchased return fare from Lancaster then Virgin trains are likely to implement the same fare charge differences or you could fare prosecution.

Coaching Staff
    Yeh, and when they check your ticket you run the risk of being charged the full fare from Preston in addition to what you have already paid. Smart arse.
    They check your ticket once you're on the train, and when you leave the station of your destination. Never had one checked prior to getting on a train. I think your personal insult is entirely unfounded, and I would appreciate an apology at your earliest opportunity.

(Just mentioned this to the missus and she said that the exact same issue was being discussed on Rock FM this morning. Wouldn't be surprised to see the prices from Lancaster going up in the very near future.)

Assistant Manager
    The people of Lancaster have kindly asked us to keep quiet about all this before anyone in power notices.