Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virgin Trains - PNE

Reserve Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Norts 1531 View Post
    They check your ticket once you're on the train, and when you leave the station of your destination. Never had one checked prior to getting on a train. I think your personal insult is entirely unfounded, and I would appreciate an apology at your earliest opportunity.

(Just mentioned this to the missus and she said that the exact same issue was being discussed on Rock FM this morning. Wouldn't be surprised to see the prices from Lancaster going up in the very near future.)
    Wasnt indicating that tickets are checked prior to getting on a train. However, Virgin trains frequently do check tickets at Preston before they allow you onto your departure platform. The whole point is that these fare anomalies should not be happening and PNE should do something about their partnership.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by blackprince9 View Post
    Wasnt indicating that tickets are checked prior to getting on a train. However, Virgin trains frequently do check tickets at Preston before they allow you onto your departure platform. The whole point is that these fare anomalies should not be happening and PNE should do something about their partnership.
    If they're checking tickets on the ramp, go to the ticket machine and buy a 1 way ticket to Manchester for like £7.

Or avoid the main ramp down and use the subway.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Over the last few months virgin had started putting inspectors there too. They've been like the gestapo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Lol. You are right. Couldn't believe it when I saw a subway going to debenhams with nobody there and a bridge the other side with security, train staff and police.

Sent from my B5060 using Tapatalk

Substitute
    Cheapest way to get a ticket to London is as follows,
    Preston to Southport ticket, get off at Leyland, leyalnd to blackpool, Blackpool to Preston, Preston to Kendal, Kendal to Lancaster, Lancaster to Crewe, crewe to Stoke, Stoke to Rugby, Rugby to Leicester, Leisceter to Northampton, Northampton to Cambridge, Cambridge Exeter, Exeter Bristol, Bristol to Reading, Reding to London - this route saves £13,

Quote Originally Posted by dashrunner View Post
    Preston to Southport ticket, get off at Leyland, leyalnd to blackpool, Blackpool to Preston, Preston to Kendal, Kendal to Lancaster, Lancaster to Crewe, crewe to Stoke, Stoke to Rugby, Rugby to Leicester, Leisceter to Northampton, Northampton to Cambridge, Cambridge Exeter, Exeter Bristol, Bristol to Reading, Reding to London - this route saves £13,

You forgot to mention that you need to set off three weeks early...
    Vote For John Brown

Reserve Team
    Quote Originally Posted by dashrunner View Post

Booked, see you there!

Assistant Manager
    Man stopped by cops over false claims he exploited rail loophole

A man was met by police at London Euston after being wrongly accused of exploiting a loophole in the Virgin Trains fare system.

Steven Morrissey, 33 from Blackpool, was held because Virgin suspected he had boarded the train at Preston rather than Lancaster.

The cost of a train from Preston is £351, compared with £93 from Lancaster, despite the fact the journey is 25 miles further from Lancaster.

Mr Morrissey outlined his dissatisfaction with a series of tweets as the journey unfolded.

He said: “Tickets? I show ticket. Where did you board? Lancaster. No you didn’t. I didn’t see you!

“Update … my choice is buy a new ticket or give my name and address for unpaid fare!!! lol I have a ticket!

“Update … I’m not doing either – apparently I will be met by the police! @VirginTrains @richardbranson horrendous service!

“Held for over 30 minutes against my will by @VirginTrains over a complete #jobsworth! Aaaggghhhhh”

The result was that the man held at Euston missed his meeting. They checked CCTV and confirmed that he has boarded the train at Lancaster rather than Preston.

Virgin Trains apologised for his treatment and offered two free first class return journey tickets.

A statement from the operator said: “Virgin Trains has an excellent reputation for customer service and we want everyone to have the best experience possible.

“Our teams make sure people have the right ticket for their journey in order to protect the majority of our customers from the actions of a small minority who try to avoid paying their way.

“However it’s clear that our people made a mistake in this case and we are sorry for Mr Morrissey’s experience.

“We have been in touch to apologise and offer him a gesture of goodwill which he has accepted.”
    http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2017/02...rail-loophole/