Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Stick or twist.

Youth Team
    Quote Originally Posted by VICE VERSE View Post
    humour is wasted on you
    That's ironic. I was quoting an Echo and the Bunnymen song, straight over your head.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyfuss View Post
    Last i heard qpr were gonna get away with just a fine which was less than 10m.
    Thanks Dreyfuss. If that is all the FA are going to do what then is going to stop other clubs breaking the FFP if they can get promoted to the Prem, then relegated in bottom place and getting 100,000,000 plus parachute payments just for a 10,000,000 fine? The mind bogles!

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Thanks Dreyfuss. If that is all the FA are going to do what then is going to stop other clubs breaking the FFP if they can get promoted to the Prem, then relegated in bottom place and getting 100,000,000 plus parachute payments just for a 10,000,000 fine? The mind bogles!
    Yes it is ludicrous. QPR argued they couldn't reduce their expenditure quickly enough after relegation from the Premiership - initially they were facing a 60m fine. Bournemouth got promoted and posted a 30m+ loss and ended up with a 7.5m fine. Which again is peanuts. I am not sure what the overall answer is. The FA don't want more clubs going out of business. The events at Portsmouth should of been a wake up call for all clubs. But it just led teams to seek out loop holes in the rules.

It seems as though as long as you overspend but get promoted you will be ok. But clubs like Forrest have struggled after overspending and enduring transfer embargos. Teams who pissed up all their parachute money on dross signings are equally struggling - Wigan, Rovers etc. But the fact Newcastle can afford to keep Benitez and key players and sign a whole host of multi million pound players - shows were the league is heading in the next few years. Relegation from the Premiership could well become just a one year time out from getting hammered every week - allowing clubs to restructure and come back stronger.

Thats not going to be healthy for the league. But money (and the question 'how to make more money') is driving all decisions in football (like that woeful decision to bring U-21 teams into the EFL Cup or expanding the world cup teams to 48 - are perfect examples - its not what is good for the sport its just about what can turn the biggest profit).

Personally I hope Brighton fail to get promoted. Its seems they are just following the Bournemouth way of spend, spend, spend. And should they get promoted and fail FFP rules, I think they should be hit with a transfer embargo for 1 year and a fine equal to 50% of the first years tv revenue. More clubs need to be made an example of. But until there is some kind of financial meltdown at the top end of the football pyramid I don't imagine we will see any change (for the better) any time soon.

Note: I am not saying Brighton will definitely break FFP rules. Their full accounts for last year have not been published yet. Their chairman was very out spoken about how QPR deserved a hefty punishment. So if they do fail FFP I hope he doesn't change his tune all of a sudden.
    Last edited by Dreyfuss; 13-01-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Yes it is ludicrous. QPR argued they couldn't reduce their expenditure quickly enough after relegation from the Premiership - initially they were facing a 60m fine. Bournemouth got promoted and posted a 30m+ loss and ended up with a 7.5m fine. Which again is peanuts. I am not sure what the overall answer is. The FA don't want more clubs going out of business. The events at Portsmouth should of been a wake up call for all clubs. But it just led teams to seek out loop holes in the rules.

It seems as though as long as you overspend but get promoted you will be ok. But clubs like Forrest have struggled after overspending and enduring transfer embargos. Teams who pissed up all their parachute money on dross signings are equally struggling - Wigan, Rovers etc. But the fact Newcastle can afford to keep Benitez and key players and sign a whole host of multi million pound players - shows were the league is heading in the next few years. Relegation from the Premiership could well become just a one year time out from getting hammered every week - allowing clubs to restructure and come back stronger.

Thats not going to be healthy for the league. But money (and the question 'how to make more money') is driving all decisions in football (like that woeful decision to bring U-21 teams into the EFL Cup or expanding the world cup teams to 48 - are perfect examples - its not what is good for the sport its just about what can turn the biggest profit).

Personally I hope Brighton fail to get promoted. Its clear they are just following the Bournemouth way of spend, spend, spend. And should they get promoted and fail FFP rules, I think they should be hit with a transfer embargo for 1 year and a fine equal to 50% of the first years tv revenue. More clubs need to be made an example of. But until there is some kind of financial meltdown at the top end of the football pyramid I don't imagine we will see any change (for the better) any time soon.

Great post, it's a shame that as long as you spend big and actually get promoted you're in the clear. I agree that there needs to be more done to clubs that rack up horrific amounts of debt. But then will eventually make this league so hard to deal with if Prem teams come down with 90 mil of parachute payments it just isn't fair. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.
    WE'RE THE ONE AND ONLY NORTH END

Youth Team

Personally I hope Brighton fail to get promoted. Its seems they are just following the Bournemouth way of spend, spend, spend. And should they get promoted and fail FFP rules, I think they should be hit with a transfer embargo for 1 year and a fine equal to 50% of the first years tv revenue. More clubs need to be made an example of. But until there is some kind of financial meltdown at the top end of the football pyramid I don't imagine we will see any change (for the better) any time soon.

Note: I am not saying Brighton will definitely break FFP rules. Their full accounts for last year have not been published yet. Their chairman was very out spoken about how QPR deserved a hefty punishment. So if they do fail FFP I hope he doesn't change his tune all of a sudden.
    +1

All the more incentive for tommorow

hope for an Arsenal type performance (with better finishing)

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
    +1 All the more incentive for tommorow
    Yup. I really hope we stuff them. Their owner has shelled out 250m into the club since he took over (including stadium development). Its mostly made up of interest free loans. But he is gonna want to start seeing a return on all that investment at some point soon. Their wage bill is 27m (ours is more like 10.5m) which shows the gulf in finances that we are up against this season.

Assistant Manager
    +1

+2 I agree totally!

First Team
    +1

To be honest, I think we need to accept that the Arsenal game was most likely a one-off monster of a performance. Players gave their all, put in more effort than usual... DJ even put a tackle in for Christ's sake!

An Arsenal type performance could only be complete if Ben Pearson were playing in midfield, and he won't be. Huge miss.

Quote Originally Posted by BenPearsonIsGod View Post
    That's ironic. I was quoting an Echo and the Bunnymen song, straight over your head.
    thanks X.