Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Protection

PC Protection

I keep getting messages on my PC telling me that i am unprotected and need to subscribe ( to McAfee ) as soon as possible.........

I dont particularly want to part with the 90 or so that they are asking for ..

Any suggestions - preferably free !

Quote Originally Posted by Ando60 View Post
    I keep getting messages on my PC telling me that i am unprotected and need to subscribe ( to McAfee ) as soon as possible.........

I dont particularly want to part with the 90 or so that they are asking for ..

Any suggestions - preferably free !
    From my own experience when I bought my current laptop, uninstalled the pre-loaded McAfee and just use Windows defender. Had nearly 2 years trouble free.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
    From my own experience when I bought my current laptop, uninstalled the pre-loaded McAfee and just use Windows defender. Had nearly 2 years trouble free.
    On the other hand, all the free protectors I have tried in the past only worked for a while and then allowed viruses to knacker my PC. Now for peace of mind I pay for Macafee and I too have been trouble - free for 3 years now. Experience has taught me that you get what you pay for but if anyone uses good reliable free ones, fair doo's.

Assistant Manager
    I've never had a virus and have never paid for Anti-Virus software. I don't particularly pay much attention to which free software I use either, as they all seem to do the job.
    Classic Grayson

AVG free edition is sufficient. http://www.avg.com/ppc/ww-en/protect...4EFA&gclsrc=ds Make sure you download the basic version.

According to Microsoft on windows 10 - Defender is all you need.

It's also a good idea to use a free Malware programme just to be sure, run it every couple of weeks...https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Take your pick...

With AVG and Malawarebytes, don't do the free trails or upgrade., just stick with free versions.
    Last edited by outreacher; 11-01-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    "You will be better advised to watch what we do instead of what we say"
    A. A. Milne

Support the Revolution

Assistant Manager
    If you do decide to go for McAfee again, make sure you buy from somewhere other than McAfee themselves. Amazon is always cheaper and Ebay normally even cheaper - often as low as 20 for the package for a few devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
    Same with me. Windows defender is as good as any paid for av software. When it was launched Mcafee and Norton were very upset, so much so that, because of long standing contracts, Microsoft have to allow one of them to be the default av program even though their own product is just as good.

IMO, anyone who pays for Mcafee or Norton are being ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    On the other hand, all the free protectors I have tried in the past only worked for a while and then allowed viruses to knacker my PC. Now for peace of mind I pay for Macafee and I too have been trouble - free for 3 years now. Experience has taught me that you get what you pay for but if anyone uses good reliable free ones, fair doo's.
    I used to use Mcafee but didn't like it, mainly because it slowed the computer down. It was necessary back then but now windows defender really is pretty much all you need.

Having said that, Outreachers advice to use free anti-malware as extra security is worth heeding, that goes for Mcafee too.

Thanks everybody....... Great advice from one and all !!

I will do some checking when I get back home tonight !

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando60 View Post
    Thanks everybody....... Great advice from one and all !!

I will do some checking when I get back home tonight !
    Ive been happy with the free version of AVG...no problems at all