Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 307

Thread: Lancashire CCC 2017

  1. #261
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,086
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleythehord View Post
    Well Essex have just declared undoubtedly to deny lancs the final bowling point. No chance of a result.

    25 point deduction for unsporting declaration anyone?


    For me, this will taint their championship.

    Is that acceptable by the authorities... and is it acceptable amongst players?

    Would Lancs have done the same if positions were reversed?

    Genuine questions... I don't know if I'm just out of touch.

  2. #262
    Chief Anal Acoustician jcfartpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    16,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    For me, this will taint their championship.

    Is that acceptable by the authorities... and is it acceptable amongst players?

    Would Lancs have done the same if positions were reversed?

    Genuine questions... I don't know if I'm just out of touch.
    I was just about to ask the same question. I would think every team would do the same if it is legal. Lancashire not winning the title won't be because of Essex declaring in this way. It will be because Essex have won 3 more games over the course of a season. It's like managers/fans of football teams going on about a referee or something in one game that means a club is relegated or doesn't make the play-offs or whatever.......it's the season as a whole that dictates where a team ends up.
    East Midlands Branch

  3. #263
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,086
    Quote Originally Posted by jcfartpants View Post
    I was just about to ask the same question. I would think every team would do the same if it is legal. Lancashire not winning the title won't be because of Essex declaring in this way. It will be because Essex have won 3 more games over the course of a season. It's like managers/fans of football teams going on about a referee or something in one game that means a club is relegated or doesn't make the play-offs or whatever.......it's the season as a whole that dictates where a team ends up.
    Clearly Essex have been the best team in the league and deserve the trophy - barring a sudden collapse.

    But I'd say that they deserve a sudden collapse after that disgraceful declaration. But as it seems to have happened in the Middx v Yorks game, maybe disgraceful declarations are accepted in cricket nowadays. Be interested to hear the views of the others too about how widespread this sort of thing is.

    As for that Welsh game... apparently no rules were broken.

  4. #264
    Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walton Le Dale
    Posts
    6,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    Clearly Essex have been the best team in the league and deserve the trophy - barring a sudden collapse.

    But I'd say that they deserve a sudden collapse after that disgraceful declaration. But as it seems to have happened in the Middx v Yorks game, maybe disgraceful declarations are accepted in cricket nowadays. Be interested to hear the views of the others too about how widespread this sort of thing is.

    As for that Welsh game... apparently no rules were broken.
    Law 14.1 explicitly states that declarations designed to deny the opposition bowling bonus points are not allowed, so clearly they should penalised if the law is to be upheld. However, and this is the daft thing about the episode, I believe they checked with the umpires (who in turn checked with the ECB) and they were given permission to do it.

  5. #265
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,086
    Quote Originally Posted by wld View Post
    Law 14.1 explicitly states that declarations designed to deny the opposition bowling bonus points are not allowed, so clearly they should penalised if the law is to be upheld. However, and this is the daft thing about the episode, I believe they checked with the umpires (who in turn checked with the ECB) and they were given permission to do it.
    I'd love to hear the explanation of how that didn't break the rule!

  6. #266
    Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walton Le Dale
    Posts
    6,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    I'd love to hear the explanation of how that didn't break the rule!
    As with most of the laws of cricket, there's a bit that says 'may' be punished!

  7. #267
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,086
    Shame Essex continue to power on (and Warks continue to capitulate).

    But our game is going bang on plan with Somerset on 330/9 after 96ov. Just need to let them get another 20... then we can rack up 400/9 in 110 overs and go on to win the game.

    With Yorkshire looking like they might only get one bowling point, we can achieve our objective of letting Somerset pick up as many bonus points as possible, whilst still achieving victory.

  8. #268
    First Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Lancs
    Posts
    1,189
    PLUNGY ALERT. Hameed's 1st innings score of 4, came off 56 balls and took 70 minutes. Even by his standards, that must've been painful to watch. Any last chance of a place on the Ashes tour, seems, like Lancashire's quest for the title, unlikely.

  9. #269
    First Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    plungy
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by janiejones View Post
    PLUNGY ALERT. Hameed's 1st innings score of 4, came off 56 balls and took 70 minutes. Even by his standards, that must've been painful to watch. Any last chance of a place on the Ashes tour, seems, like Lancashire's quest for the title, unlikely.
    My mate Hameed, what can I say without constantly repeating myself? Well, today hes scored 13 runs in almost 32 overs in the middle. The young man has gone from the new England hope to a struggling, poor county opener within 12 months.

    Injury hasn't helped his cause, but more importantly, his confidence must be in tatters. Its a sad sight to see a young player with some promise performing so abysmally.

    England have already said their will be no new faces in the forthcoming winter tours, which must have come as a further hammer blow for the young lad, even despite his poor form.

    Even as someone who's tolerance of Hameed waned a long time ago, it has given me no pleasure watching his demise this summer. One decent innings is all he has given his county.

    One can only hope that next season brings better things for both Hameed and, in turn, the Red Rose.

  10. #270
    Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walton Le Dale
    Posts
    6,178
    Another team breaking law 14.1 with regard to extraordinary declarations. There can be no justification for declaring at 201-8 on day 1 and they need to be penalised. If the ECB don't take action, what is the point in having such laws?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •