Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Lancashire CCC 2017

Quote Originally Posted by PNE Plungy View Post
    Been meaning to say its nice to see you back Regardless. We were getting worried about you. Hope all is well
    Cheers Plungy. Last December I tried to do a routine password change and it all went wrong. Locked out of my account!

Back to the cricket... I stopped following tonight's game with 5 overs to go. Nearly missed a classic finish, but not that it mattered. Every match went against us in the end.

Coaching Staff
    Just got back. I'm afraid when the opposition bat bowl and field better there is only going to be one result, even if they did make a meal of getting the last 12 runs to create a bit of excitement.

I could not understand why we did not try to push on more in our innings with so many wickets in hand. It was almost as though they had decided before the inninings that 160-170 was going to be enough and they set their stall out to get that. 4 or 5 overs in to the Warwickshire innings, it was obvious that 180 was a par score for the pitch and we probably needed 190.

Just not good enough lancs. The club are trying very hard to put on a good show at the ground, attracting old and young alike with a great fan zone, live music , real ale tents, loads for the kids who really love it and a terrific match day experience inside the ground, but it all falls a bit flat when the team underperform as they have done so often at OT this year.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    Cheers Plungy. Last December I tried to do a routine password change and it all went wrong. Locked out of my account!

Back to the cricket... I stopped following tonight's game with 5 overs to go. Nearly missed a classic finish, but not that it mattered. Every match went against us in the end.
    The game was won and lost in the power play overs. We had 1 good over from our first 6 whereas the Bears had 4 or 5.

Here's the thing. We have 20 overs to bat, effectively meaning we can afford to lose a wicket every 12 balls. With the fielding restrictions, why the hell are we playing forward defensive shots or letting the ball go through in any of the first 6 overs?

Even Butler draws criticism from me tonight, even though he scored 58. It should have been clear that a run rate of 7 per over was unlikely to be anywhere near enough to get us up to a defendable target. Yet he and Vilas were tip tapping it about for far too long. Birmingham showed us how to attack in T20 cricket in conditions far less favourable than Lancs enjoyed. With only 4 wickets down, 163 runs was a hugely disappointing return, especially with 2 vastly capable batsman who occupied the crease for so long.

One can only hope we learn from yet another shite T20 campaign. Though I said the same last year, and nothing jas changed. What a complete shambles with the talent we have.

Chief Anal Acoustician jcfartpants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNE Plungy View Post
    The game was won and lost in the power play overs. We had 1 good over from our first 6 whereas the Bears had 4 or 5.

Here's the thing. We have 20 overs to bat, effectively meaning we can afford to lose a wicket every 12 balls. With the fielding restrictions, why the hell are we playing forward defensive shots or letting the ball go through in any of the first 6 overs?

Even Butler draws criticism from me tonight, even though he scored 58. It should have been clear that a run rate of 7 per over was unlikely to be anywhere near enough to get us up to a defendable target. Yet he and Vilas were tip tapping it about for far too long. Birmingham showed us how to attack in T20 cricket in conditions far less favourable than Lancs enjoyed. With only 4 wickets down, 163 runs was a hugely disappointing return, especially with 2 vastly capable batsman who occupied the crease for so long.

One can only hope we learn from yet another shite T20 campaign. Though I said the same last year, and nothing jas changed. What a complete shambles with the talent we have.
    Exactly as I saw it last week in both games I saw.....it was as if the power play didn't mean anything.....in fact, quite the opposite.
    East Midlands Branch

Assistant Manager

Lancashire CCC 2017

Been saying most of the season that our approach to the power play is the main source of our failure this season. No big issue with Livingstone but his partners have been Brown who leaves as many deliveries as he hits to the boundary and Clark, who was seemingly promoted to be a pinch hitter but decided to push singles and defend on the whole. Yet we had Lilley in the team who looks to hit every ball when he bats in the powerplay and could have opened.

I was all for dropping Brown but why play a batsman and then not let him bat? Jones played two games as a batsman but didn't face one delivery.

Croft's captaincy last night was awful again, my fault for praising him on Wednesday! Bringing McLaren back on when he'd bowled like a pub player when something different was needed, standing in the outfield clapping and shouting come on lads every now and again is not captaincy. Vilas and Buttler were calling the shots again.

Jordan Clark's season was encapsulated In 2 minute spell when he dropped a relative dolly, got called on to bowl, got ready and then told not to bother. I can't help but feel we didn't use him to his full potential in the T20s this season.

For an experienced bowler McLaren bowled way too many buffet deliveries.

Finally, the tactical approach all season has been poor. The game has moved on and our coach hasn't, it's almost like England were a few years ago in the 50 over stuff under Moores, batting slowly and conserving wickets for a late flurry whilst everyone else was going for it from the off.

Very finally, and this really annoyed me last night, when Croft missed the last delivery why on earth would you not attempt a bye?

Hopefully if we get Finn it'll give boost the bowling for next season.

First Team
    Excellent summary WLD, as always.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by wld View Post
    Been saying most of the season that our approach to the power play is the main source of our failure this season. No big issue with Livingstone but his partners have been Brown who leaves as many deliveries as he hits to the boundary and Clark, who was seemingly promoted to be a pinch hitter but decided to push singles and defend on the whole. Yet we had Lilley in the team who looks to hit every ball when he bats in the powerplay and could have opened.

I was all for dropping Brown but why play a batsman and then not let him bat? Jones played two games as a batsman but didn't face one delivery.

Croft's captaincy last night was awful again, my fault for praising him on Wednesday! Bringing McLaren back on when he'd bowled like a pub player when something different was needed, standing in the outfield clapping and shouting come on lads every now and again is not captaincy. Vilas and Buttler were calling the shots again.

Jordan Clark's season was encapsulated In 2 minute spell when he dropped a relative dolly, got called on to bowl, got ready and then told not to bother. I can't help but feel we didn't use him to his full potential in the T20s this season.

For an experienced bowler McLaren bowled way too many buffet deliveries.

Finally, the tactical approach all season has been poor. The game has moved on and our coach hasn't, it's almost like England were a few years ago in the 50 over stuff under Moores, batting slowly and conserving wickets for a late flurry whilst everyone else was going for it from the off.

Very finally, and this really annoyed me last night, when Croft missed the last delivery why on earth would you not attempt a bye?

Hopefully if we get Finn it'll give boost the bowling for next season.
    Is this happening? Not heard this before, I hope so. What's the crack with Kerrigan? I see he's gone to Northants, on loan I presume.

I bet them Yorkies were pissed off over their non qualification, especially after Lyth's heroics on Thursday

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by janiejones View Post
    Is this happening? Not heard this before, I hope so. What's the crack with Kerrigan? I see he's gone to Northants, on loan I presume.

I bet them Yorkies were pissed off over their non qualification, especially after Lyth's heroics on Thursday
    It was mentioned by the ESPN editor last week as a possibility and Chapple confirmed he was interested yesterday. Assuming he doesn't get back in the England side, would be a great addition and the pitches at OT would suit him.

Kerrigan has obviously fallen behind Parry and Parkinson (and possibly Lilley). One of my favourite players, treated poorly by England and never the same since. I was at OT the Monday after his England game and the bouncy, vibrant player had gone, arguably something he didn't get back. You could say, however, that he could have shown strength of character to come back.

Forgot to say this morning that I agree totally with everyone's assessment of the T20 season and last night in particular. Hopefully now we can put it behind us and maybe look to close that gap on Essex, especially as we still have to play them.