Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Observations - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Observations

Substitute
    Challenging comments in this stimulating thread.
    I was really disappointed at Deepdale on Saturday, and amidst a terrific season, I have seen some poor team performances- away at Brentford, Reading and Fulham immediately coming to mind when we lost our balance and shape. When we have played poorly, there is a natural tendency to blame individuals, and I suggest that this is harsh when it is clear that Mr Grayson has assembled a squad and a team whose performances and results are significantly better than their individual displays or long term individual potential. So Cunningham at left back is vital to the balance of the team and Clarke's very presence has a stabilising effect on both players and fans, and we have scored more goals in the absence of Garner and Beckford because we play without prima donnas, even though Hugill and Robinson probably lack their immediate threat or record.
    Of course, I would love us to go out and buy a 20 goal per season Championship striker, but that is not the way of Mr Hemmings or Mr Grayson who both prefer to develop players and increase their value rather than to gamble on players on their way downhill. (This is my reservation about our preparedness to invest 2.5 million on the 31 year old McGeady or to offer a contract to the veteran Baptiste)
    As such, realistically I am anticipating the squad being incrementally improved before next season with a raw but powerful central defender, and ideally a midfield battler who can also take over as a leading-by- example captain who will put real pressure on the underachieving Gally and Johnson who sometimes seem to play their own individual games nowadays instead of as a cog in the Grayson designed team.

Quote Originally Posted by lesfry View Post
    Challenging comments in this stimulating thread.
    I was really disappointed at Deepdale on Saturday, and amidst a terrific season, I have seen some poor team performances- away at Brentford, Reading and Fulham immediately coming to mind when we lost our balance and shape. When we have played poorly, there is a natural tendency to blame individuals, and I suggest that this is harsh when it is clear that Mr Grayson has assembled a squad and a team whose performances and results are significantly better than their individual displays or long term individual potential. So Cunningham at left back is vital to the balance of the team and Clarke's very presence has a stabilising effect on both players and fans, and we have scored more goals in the absence of Garner and Beckford because we play without prima donnas, even though Hugill and Robinson probably lack their immediate threat or record.
    Of course, I would love us to go out and buy a 20 goal per season Championship striker, but that is not the way of Mr Hemmings or Mr Grayson who both prefer to develop players and increase their value rather than to gamble on players on their way downhill. (This is my reservation about our preparedness to invest 2.5 million on the 31 year old McGeady or to offer a contract to the veteran Baptiste)
    As such, realistically I am anticipating the squad being incrementally improved before next season with a raw but powerful central defender, and ideally a midfield battler who can also take over as a leading-by- example captain who will put real pressure on the underachieving Gally and Johnson who sometimes seem to play their own individual games nowadays instead of as a cog in the Grayson designed team.
    Completely agree about Gallagher & Johnson, particularly Johnson who has been really disappointing this season.

Also have reservations, like you, about spending 2.5million on McGeady (if that figure is correct). 2.5million is a huge amount for us. It's a fine investment if everything works out and he stays fit and plays upwards of 85% of games - in which case the investment should see a return on the pitch in terms of results and league position. It would also potentially put some more bums on seats, as McGeady is a joy to watch when he's in top gear. Though if this signing was successful, you do wonder what funds would remain available for strengthening in other required areas?

Baptiste would be another gamble, purely in terms of fitness. He's a good player, but how many games would he play between injury and suspension?
    Last edited by Tugg Speedman; 22-04-2017 at 01:01 PM.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugg Speedman View Post
    Completely agree about Gallagher & Johnson, particularly Johnson who has been really disappointing this season.

Also have reservations, like you, about spending 2.5million on McGeady (if that figure is correct). 2.5million is a huge amount for us. It's a fine investment if everything works out and he stays fit and plays upwards of 85% of games - in which case the investment should see a return on the pitch in terms of results and league position. It would also potentially put some more bums on seats, as McGeady is a joy to watch when he's in top gear. Though if this signing was successful, you do wonder what funds would remain available for strengthening in other required areas?

Baptiste would be another gamble, purely in terms of fitness. He's a good player, but how many games would he play between injury and suspension?
    The 2.5 million figure has been plucked from mid air.
    Last edited by Nishtar36; 22-04-2017 at 01:20 PM.