Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Observations - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Observations

Quote Originally Posted by Nishtar36 View Post
    I agree with Ernest on this. If Pearson doesn't play, we are fucked in midfield. Also, in away games it's been clear that we don't have enough steel in there - Gally, DJ and Browne don't offer enough protection to the back 4. So I'd definitely be for signing another central midfielder with a bit of 'presence'.
    Me too - Pearson misses a lot of games through suspension, and while it's rare we need two DMCs in a match, it would be a useful option to have.

Definitely need a centre forward who can play on his own up front too.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Thracia View Post
    Me too - Pearson misses a lot of games through suspension, and while it's rare we need two DMCs in a match, it would be a useful option to have.

Agreed.

See, we can concur occasionally.

First Team
    If Wigan go down, can we make a bid for Morsey ? He looked good last season but can't have done that well this.

Quote Originally Posted by PNE Plungy View Post
    Agreed.

See, we can concur occasionally.
    No one ever doubted it.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by pet shop boy View Post
    If Wigan go down, can we make a bid for Morsey ? He looked good last season but can't have done that well this.
    He did well for Barnsley who were desperate to keep him, so he's definitely worth a look.

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishtar36 View Post
    He did well for Barnsley who were desperate to keep him, so he's definitely worth a look.
    I really liked the look of him in League One. But been underwhelmed from what I have seen of him on TV in Championship, but yeah he's still worth a look. He signed a new deal at Wigan in January so he is contracted there until 2019. Was a strange situation as Barnsley had a clause in their loan agreement that meant they could purchase him for a set fee, (but the new Wigan manager didnt want him to leave) but the player ended up rejecting their personal terms anyway. God knows who is making the deals at Wigan - with the current situation where they have to play a goalkeeper who the manager doesnt want to select. The big signing Bogle is out injured for the rest of the season too. Will be interesting to see how they cope this summer. May well be a fire sale down there. I am sure it won't be too long before someone mentions Nathan Byrne.
    Last edited by Dreyfuss; 21-04-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyfuss View Post
    I am sure it won't be too long before someone mentions Nathan Byrne.
    We agreed a deal for him in the summer and he turned us down for Wigan, ended up back in L1 on loan at Charlton. Couldn't see us going back for him.

As for Morsy, it wouldn't surprise me if he has a relegation release clause with a low buy-out fee in his contract. He was very clever in January using Barnsley's wish to sign him permanently and Warren Joyce's wish to keep him at Wigan in order to get him an improved contract at Wigan.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ernest View Post
    Largely agree though with only Huntington and Boyle as our players Clarke's injury means we will need two central defenders - if he looks to be fit then Baptiste would certainly be acceptable as one of them, the other should be a younger player.
    Agree about Baptiste, Browning could be the younger player. Secure returns for those 2 and we should be fine at centre back.

I think we should see how Vermilj and Woods look after a proper pre-season before thinking of adding to our roster of right-backs - I personally think we may well find we are OK there.
    Woods is a good player but at the age of 30 returning from a bad knee injury (he has been injury prone in the past too) he may not be playing every single game. We need a good, solid back-up to him next season. For me Vermijl isn't that as he is poor (imho) defensively but you're entitled to disagree.

One poser is whether we bring Davies back and look to use him as a back-up central defender/left-back - sooner or later we have to make him a member of the squad at this level and see how he does.
    I think one of the problems for Davies is that we have two experienced left sided defenders in Cunningham and Spurr in front of him, both with 2 years left on their contracts. I could see another loan move. You are correct that sooner rather than later we will have to see if he can make the jump but I doubt he is much of a financial burden. Don't see the issue with keeping him on the books. Perhaps if Fleetwood go up they will want him back on loan and we can see how he does in this league ? That would be ideal.

The need for another aggressive central midfielder has been evident for a while - if we had signed one in January we might still be in the play-off hunt. What we need upfront is back-up for Hugill as a disruptive centre forward - I would not be totally against bringing Makienok back - whether we make a further signing depends on whether May is still here.
    Our issue in midfield is when we play a 4-4-2, which imho at home is our best system, Pearson is the only one who can play in that system. Pearson is perfect for that 2 in midfield. Mobile, aggressive, good on the ball, he has everything. The problem is he tends to have to carry his partner in the pairing because Johnson and Gallagher aren't great in a 2, and it's hard to see what Browne contributes. If we add another aggressive and mobile midfielder next to Pearson, that would give us the perfect platform in the middle for the wingers and strikers to do there thing and for the full backs to get forward and overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thracia View Post
    Completely agree. If we bring in a target man, which imho we should, he should be one that can play the lone role as none of our current bunch can. That would give us the option to pack the midfield whilst also managing to make the ball stick up top, without having to switch to 3 at the back and losing our threat from wide areas.
    Last edited by sedgwick__7; 21-04-2017 at 01:40 PM.

This thread is a good read. Judging by most opinions, it does seem we need to strengthen and recruit in most areas this summer.

On Pearson, am I the only one who thinks he makes a good solid attacking midfielder? He's physical for his size, not easily knocked off the ball, good dribbling ability, not short of pace, has an eye for a pass and can shoot/knows where the net is. Would definitely like to see another bigger, stronger player to play alongside him in a midfield partnership, to play the defensive role and free Pearson to maraud forward.
    Last edited by Tugg Speedman; 21-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugg Speedman View Post
    This thread is a good read. Judging by most opinions, it does seem we need to strengthen and recruit in most areas this summer.

On Pearson, am I the only one who thinks he makes a good solid attacking midfielder? He's physical for his size, not easily knocked off the ball, good dribbling ability, not short of pace, has an eye for a pass and can shoot/knows where the net is. Would definitely like to see another bigger, stronger player to play alongside him in a midfield partnership, to play the defensive role and free Pearson to maraud forward.
    He's certainly not a "holding midfielder" as some would suggest, because of the attributes you have just stated. He's not solely "attacking" either because of the dirty work he does.

IMHO he is an all-round box-to-box midfielder who can do pretty much everything.

He probably could add a few more goals to his game, as he does have a burst of pace when running forward, but that's more possible in a midfield 3 whereas playing in a 2 at the moment you have to be a bit more disciplined positionally.