Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a new forum

Quote Originally Posted by preach View Post
    How much would it cost and where can you buy one?
    I think we should put in a bid for Cork City's forum.

Substitute
    I don't frequent here that often, however I've noticed many offers to help sort the forum out.
    Perhaps the powers that be don't want the help.

As has been said many times, Dai Vader is the only admin and only he has access to the stuff needed to sort the forum out.

He's been AWOL for the best part of 3 years and quite clearly can't be bothered to communicate with the rest of us in order to sort things out.

I'd dearly love to say we have full control and will sort things out but until Dai makes an appearance, there is literally nothing we can do. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbagaz View Post
    As has been said many times, Dai Vader is the only admin and only he has access to the stuff needed to sort the forum out.

He's been AWOL for the best part of 3 years and quite clearly can't be bothered to communicate with the rest of us in order to sort things out.

I'd dearly love to say we have full control and will sort things out but until Dai makes an appearance, there is literally nothing we can do. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else.
    The domain was updated in April last year, so someone is doing “something”! Someone also obviously pays the hosting fees each year. Has anyone tried emailing the address that owns the domain?

To upgrade the forum it seems we need three things:

1. Access to the current forum (we’ll need access to the server/database to migrate the data)
    2. Money to pay for the forum software
    3. Someone with the technical ability to do the transfer

1 is important if we want to keep all the old data and for whoever pays for the hosting to continue to do so! It seems pretty desirable not to lose the domain & old data etc, but if it’s enough of a frustration creating a new one wouldn’t be impossible.
    2 there are some free, open source forums (phpBB, for example), the latest version of the current software is a one-off $249, something I imagine we could easily get together
    3 seems easy enough, if there are plenty of volunteers

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by shabbagaz View Post
    Maybe he's won the lottery and retired to somewhere exotic like Lytham St. Anne's.
    And now, the end is near...

Quote Originally Posted by We8PNE View Post
    Your arithmetic is somewhat flawed.
    Why ? Preach is correct - there are 10,000 members.

Admittedly they might not all be active, but there are 10,000..............

Maybe he's just forgot his password.
    dp/1853677280 Th
    Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for preach and the entire human race