Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancashire County Council plans to cut adult social care

Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville
    Giving the best social workers in Lancs massively inflated VR packages, which were snapped by those who knew they could take them and walk into another job, then having to spend a further 8m on a private consultancy company to replace them when the shit hit the fan following a death in care and 'inadequate' rating of services?
    Oh here we go our far right tory apologist attempting to come on and defend the indefensible.

Its what tories do mate, its what tories have always done, its what Tories will always do.

Stuff the vulnerable, the disabled and the poor, lets make sure those with means are more comfortable.

I was happy to pay an extra 2% on my Council Tax knowing it was ring fenced to go to the vulnerable, in fact Id have been happy to pay an awful lot more too. Im not happy for it to be spent on the wealthy having more of what they can already afford.

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    Oh here we go our far right tory apologist attempting to come on and defend the indefensible.

Its what tories do mate, its what tories have always done, its what Tories will always do.

Stuff the vulnerable, the disabled and the poor, lets make sure those with means are more comfortable.

I was happy to pay an extra 2% on my Council Tax knowing it was ring fenced to go to the vulnerable, in fact Id have been happy to pay an awful lot more too. Im not happy for it to be spent on the wealthy having more of what they can already afford.
    Oh Phil I do love your meltdowns when you've been caught out.

Perhaps you should go and meet with your fellow Chorley Labour Party members to calm down by discussing how you can spend more taxpayers money on 'office artwork'. That should help the vunerable no end.

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post

At face value, raef, you're totally ignoring the point AS is making.

I'm also happy to pay more tax for ringfenced services. But I'm not happy for big and costly mismanagement. The two arguments can go hand in hand.

Strangely ive just been reading a book about Art, a book I bought, BTW, not from the library.

Hows the Police investigation into Driver progressing, BTW, you seem to be privvy to inside info, apparently

Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville View Post
    Giving the best social workers in Lancs massively inflated VR packages, which were snapped by those who knew they could take them and walk into another job, then having to spend a further 8m on a private consultancy company to replace them when the shit hit the fan following a death in care and 'inadequate' rating of services?

Why would VR be offered to a body of people that would need replacing?.....................Apart from the fact it's illegal, (so I assume the time span got over that hurdle )............ I pressume the Management responsible were potted?..or were they long gone ( and up) by then ( as is usually the way )?...
    Vote For John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
    Why would VR be offered to a body of people that would need replacing?.....................Apart from the fact it's illegal, (so I assume the time span got over that hurdle )............ I pressume the Management responsible were potted?..or were they long gone ( and up) by then ( as is usually the way )?...
    The last administration in a bid to reduce costs decided it would offer VR to social workers and social services staff in a bid to get rid of some of the older, near retirement members of staff and some deadwood.

Unfortunately the VR offer was so good a lot more staff than expected took it, including some of LCC's best social workers who saw an opportunity to take a big payout before walking straight into other jobs with other authorities such as Blackpool/Blackburn or the private sector. This left a far bigger VR bill than expected and a serious depletion in staff in terms of numbers, experience and those willing to make an actual decision.

Within two years, as Ofsted conducted their review, a child under LCC care died in a murder/suicide fire started by his mother despite pleas from the child's father/legal guardian for LCC to intervene when his ex-wife refused to return their son to him. Subsequently the county was given an 'inadequate' rating by Ofsted which prior to 2013 had been 'good with exceptional traits'.

The administration were told they had to improve asap and were put under the watch of Chesire East Council. Not long after that it was revealed they were bringing in private consultants at a cost of 6.6m to help improve frontline services whilst further reducing costs. At the same, though not connected to social services, Pricewaterhousecooper were brought in by LCC to review their financial situation at similar cost to the social services consultants. 12m to be told how to save money and that your finances are in the s...?!

I'm not sure whether those responsible are still in place or not but the chief executive that oversaw all this, Jo Turton (a close friend of Jennifer Mein, the prev leader of LCC) is set to be potted in a restructure of LCC's top brass.

The last administration in a bid to reduce costs decided it would offer VR to social workers and social services staff in a bid to get rid of some of the older, near retirement members of staff and some deadwood.

Unfortunately the VR offer was so good a lot more staff than expected took it, including some of LCC's best social workers who saw an opportunity to take a big payout before walking straight into other jobs with other authorities such as Blackpool/Blackburn or the private sector. This left a far bigger VR bill than expected and a serious depletion in staff in terms of numbers, experience and those willing to make an actual decision.

Within two years, as Ofsted conducted their review, a child under LCC care died in a murder/suicide fire started by his mother despite pleas from the child's father/legal guardian for LCC to intervene when his ex-wife refused to return their son to him. Subsequently the county was given an 'inadequate' rating by Ofsted which prior to 2013 had been 'good with exceptional traits'.

The administration were told they had to improve asap and were put under the watch of Chesire East Council. Not long after that it was revealed they were bringing in private consultants at a cost of 6.6m to help improve frontline services whilst further reducing costs. At the same, though not connected to social services, Pricewaterhousecooper were brought in by LCC to review their financial situation at similar cost to the social services consultants. 12m to be told how to save money and that your finances are in the s...?!

I'm not sure whether those responsible are still in place or not but the chief executive that oversaw all this, Jo Turton (a close friend of Jennifer Mein, the prev leader of LCC) is set to be potted in a restructure of LCC's top brass.

Thanks for the explanation but I still don't understand the highlighted bit...... A VR application is greeted initially by a one to one and then ( I think ) at least another more in depth meeting.... In the private sector the employer reserves the right to refuse that VR request ( needs of the business etc ) and certainly wouldn't allow a mass exodus to bugger up the business if it were oversubscribed.It would pick and choose the ones it could most afford to loose....... I'm assuming the public sector is the same so which tomfool allowed them all to leave?.Sorry if I'm missing the point.
    Vote For John Brown

Once again, you seem very privvy to info sav, albeit its far from 100% factual.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
    Thanks for the explanation but I still don't understand the highlighted bit...... A VR application is greeted initially by a one to one and then ( I think ) at least another more in depth meeting.... In the private sector the employer reserves the right to refuse that VR request ( needs of the business etc ) and certainly wouldn't allow a mass exodus to bugger up the business if it were oversubscribed.It would pick and choose the ones it could most afford to loose....... I'm assuming the public sector is the same so which tomfool allowed them all to leave?.Sorry if I'm missing the point.
    Not sure of the exact details but CH decided they needed to shed 1300 jobs very quickly, the union got involved and some very experienced staff were allowed to leave. The knock-on effect was felt soon after and ultimately led to an inadequate rating and a death in care.

Lesson to be learned there then me thinks .....
    There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.