Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Woods or Vermijl? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woods or Vermijl?

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by kbd_pne View Post
    If you’re referring to a right sided wide role in midfield, Grayson started Vermijl there a few times last season and he looked completely lost.
    In the formation AN favours he would be slightly more tucked in and that might work better. But given the way that AN has made the team play in a more brisk and determined fashion then you would have to say that if Vermilj does not do the same then he will not play. AN's remarks about Horgan and Robinson not quite understanding what he wants and hence not starting make it plain that you have to play his way or hardly at all.

vermijil

Youth Team
    Woods is a no brainer for me. He was badly missed last season, whilst Vermijl's absence generally goes unnoticed.
    Both Baptiste and Browning kept Vermijl out last season and rightly so, and despite some half-hearted performances by Browning.

I think the fact that all anyone can say about Vermijl is he should be played further forward says a lot about him really. He's poor defensively, was signed when we had a real problem at RB and even then Baptiste played there more and is now behind a player who has hardly played in 15 months.

And if he did play further forward would anyone play him instead of Horgan / Robinson / Harrop etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    I think the fact that all anyone can say about Vermijl is he should be played further forward says a lot about him really. He's poor defensively, was signed when we had a real problem at RB and even then Baptiste played there more and is now behind a player who has hardly played in 15 months.

And if he did play further forward would anyone play him instead of Horgan / Robinson / Harrop etc.?
    Yep. Considering Robinson, Horgan and Mavididi, all highly rated attackers/wide players, can hardly get a kick at the moment, pretty sure there is no chance of Vermijl having a role to play further forward.

He looks okay going forward from full back as there is space to run into, but when SG tried him further forward last season he just looked lost and didnít have the guile to work in small spaces for that role.

As you say heís a defensively poor RB, and IMO the only role heís looked remotely comfortable in since signing is RWB, and I donít think weíll see that formation in use much more under AN. Even if we did use it heíd still be behind Fisher and Woods.

Providing Woods gets a few more games under his belt and once and for all proves heís properly fit again, I think Vermijl could be offloaded in January.

First Team
    Vermijlís performance against Norwich (H) last season was up there with one of the worst Iíve seen in a while.

Tbf I think heís ok but he isnít better than Woods or Fisher.

Manager
    Woods

Woods. Vermijl is crap.
    'Say goodbye to the pain of the past. Say hello to the championship. It's his day it's Preston's day'

Quote Originally Posted by Retfordpete View Post
    Woods for me. Still questions over Vermijl's ability!
    Ha, was just about to type the exact same reply! Woods may not be fully up to speed but he is a much better player. Vermijl simply isn't good enough.

Like most on here it's definitely a no brainier for me and AN has been keeping him sweet with enough game time to warrant him starting on Saturday. Verm is ok to fill in here and there but before his injury Woods in my opinion was the most improved player in season 2015/16 and one of the best full-backs in the Championship for me. Gutted he got injured pre-season when he had such a cracking season in the Championship.