Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
PNE to host butter pie competition
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PNE to host butter pie competition

Transfer Target

PNE to host butter pie competition

Folks -

Breaking news: the club is working out what the best butter pie is by asking us, the people who eat them. Basically, the Villa caterers are organising a pie-off (The X-Factor - or Pi-Factor - for butter pies).

The perfect butter pie is a regular topic on here, with much debate as to the best providers/bakers and the best recipe. The competition is being hosted by North End, and is open to professional and amateur alike. The ovens at the ground's catering facilities are more than adequate for the purpose, apparently. I'm told the winner will receive a two-year concession to sell pies at the ground (mind you - could be a tall order unless you're a professional baker!).

There are no firm details yet, but I think it's going to be pretty democratic: show up and either bake a pie or just sample some and vote. The first pie-off isn't even scheduled yet but Simon Rigby and the club are definitely up for it.

So: Which professional bakers should be invited, and is there anyone who fancies taking on the professionals?

PS I am nothing to do with Simon Rigby's company - though it was my (allegedly) bright idea. A couple of you on here know me and also know I'm doing this for the fun of it, nothing commercial here at all. I just noticed the enthusiasm for butter pies and contacted the caterers with the idea. Should be a good laugh.

Transfer Target
    Excellent idea and hopefully it will be very popular commercially and with the fans. I would like to volunteer to be on the judging panel, if possible.

Transfer Target
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
    Excellent idea and hopefully it will be very popular commercially and with the fans. I would like to volunteer to be on the judging panel, if possible.
    Just watch this space - and it'll surely be on PNE social and in LEP - and show up!

Which professionals do we invite, btw? Most people seem to love Gornalls...?

Butter Pies where never the same once Ashworths went. If anyone could get their recipe and can make them like they did on mass, they'd be on a winner.

Todays pie's are to small, lack pepper, and they add to much salt and to dry.

For the record, I have to make my own living in Essex

Boil the Potatoes, Onions and Pepper at the same time. Add some butter to the pan after 30 minutes. Boil so nearly dry, you may burn a little of the pan but it's fine.

Take off boil, add more Pepper, some salt, More Butter and mix allowing the potato to break and mix with the Butter and Onion.

Put in the Pastry, Cover. Cook. Eat hot or cold.
    Last edited by FootballcrazyP_; 13-10-2017 at 12:59 AM.
    3 Butter Pies and a coke please : D

First Team
    There'll be none left after Rigby has filled his jowls.
    Good luck to the winner though, don't expect getting paid any time soon if at all.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballcrazyP_ View Post
    Butter Pies where never the same once Ashworths went. If anyone could get their recipe and can make them like they did on mass, they'd be on a winner.

Todays pie's are to small, lack pepper, and they add to much salt and to dry.

For the record, I have to make my own living in Essex

Boil the Potatoes, Onions and Pepper at the same time. Add some butter to the pan after 30 minutes. Boil so nearly dry, you may burn a little of the pan but it's fine.

Take off boil, add more Pepper, some salt, More Butter and mix allowing the potato to break and mix with the Butter and Onion.

Put in the Pastry, Cover. Cook. Eat hot or cold.
    clayton park is ashworths

i think they are preparing them badly on site. often overcooked.

never buy a pie on a tues (after sat game) always stale

Chief Anal Acoustician jcfartpants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbydavro View Post
    clayton park is ashworths

i think they are preparing them badly on site. often overcooked.

never buy a pie on a tues (after sat game) always stale
    I'm very much a cynic when it comes to food, but I'm betting that most stuff sold in a bakers is warmed on site if sold warm, or made in a centralised factory somewhere if it's cold. Nothing seems to be actually made from scratch on site where it's sold anymore.
    East Midlands Branch

Reserve Team
    Clayton Park is not Ashworths! Very different pies even though some of people who used to work there are now at Claytons!

What a splendid idea....

I love a good butter pie... but it is much misunderstood by non-Prestonians who don't get it and don't understand the origin !!

I work with a lot of people from Yorkshire and Manchester and I am constantly having to explain the ingredients in an effort to convert them.... Some of them just don't understand how you can have a pie without meat. !!!!

I love them cold with red sauce on.......

Glovers pies are definitely up there and they do a pretty good butter one. My Grandad bless his soul used to do a crackin butter pie which was a flatter large plate type pie, best around and I would have definitely put his forward for the comp.