Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PNE to host butter pie competition

Assistant Manager
    Catering in the posh bits at PNE is like school dinners up a couple of notches, passable but nothing to get excited about.

Pies need cooking by a pie maker.

My missus went to finishing school to improve her poise but they're still crap!

Transfer Target
    Quote Originally Posted by budgierustler View Post
    Pie-oneering idea Bingo Caller.

Sounds a great idea...get a project manager with a bit of time and this could well be a goer.

Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.......somewhere over the rainbow weigh a pie!

Seriously ....this could be even more uniqueness to the famous Preston North End.
    B(J) R -

You could be right. I certainly hope so. It's a Preston "thing" - and I found a recipe posted by your good self on this very site, back in 2008...

From 2008:

Butter*Pie

Butter*pies have long been a matchday favourite among Preston North End fans until 2007 when providers ceased to trade. With the new providers not offering a*butter*pie this has caused 2 Preston North End fans to begin a campaign on facebook callling for the return of*butter*pies to the matchday menu.*
    "Butter*Pie" - traditional Lancashire delicacy. Or for those not in the know, potato & onion pie, traditionally served on a Friday so as to comply with the catholic rule of not eating meat on a Friday, with Lancashire being home to many catholics. Apparently this version is a little dry when compared with commercial available versions, but very tasty all the same, of course should be served with HP or Heinz tomato sauce if liked, pickled red cabbage or beetroot all work well.*
    Here is a recipe we have found for*butter*pie;

Ingredients

8oz of plain flour
    2oz*butter
    20z white fat (dripping / lard or veg fat)
    3 large potatoes
    1 onion

Method

Blend in food processor and then drizzle in just enough cold water to make the pastry form a ball.
    Leave in the fridge to rest for 1/2 an hour
    In the mean time, peel 3 large potatoes and 1 onion, cut the potato into large chunks and the onion in to half moon rings. Parboil for approx 20 mins until potatoes are just soft but still holding there shape. Drain and slice into your pie dish , into which you have rolled out a bottom layer, layer in the onions, salt and pepper and flecks of*butter. Top off with your top layer of pastry. Bake at 180 degrees for approx 1/2 hour until golden. Serve immediately with your preferred condiment.

I'd like to think the club would put up information boards declaiming a bit of the history of the butter pie around the ground. Scandalously, on my only visit to Darlington back before the safe robber bought and then ruined them, there were no "Parmos" (spelling?) available at the ground. We could set a trend for the food that defines the club: Bury - black puddings... Liverpool - lob scouse... Man U/Blackburn ... something made of plastic... ?

Transfer Target
    I'd love to enter that competition !
    Dont mind taking on the professionals .
    I've been doing butter pies for my family
    And friends for a long time and they
    Love it ❤️ How do I apply ?

Im probably too old for this, but as a apprentice at Stan Fosters Motor Body Builders on fylde rd, my job was to go for the dinners, Broadbents on Savoy st was the best pie shop in Preston, but that was in 1957, does any old codger remember Broadbents who can confirm
    Last edited by hornbycastle; 14-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    In between goals is a thing called life, that has to be lived and enjoyed

Transfer Target
    Quote Originally Posted by Steviedunton View Post
    I'd love to enter that competition !
    Dont mind taking on the professionals .
    I've been doing butter pies for my family
    And friends for a long time and they
    Love it ❤️ How do I apply ?
    It will be open to all. Should be a fun day.
    PS Good to think about pies, and not 96th-minute equalisers!! Will take me till Wednesday to get over it

Anyone who doesn't eat pies is a big soft baby.
    dp/1853677280 Th
    Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for preach and the entire human race

Quote Originally Posted by BingoCaller View Post
    Folks -

Breaking news: the club is working out what the best butter pie is by asking us, the people who eat them. Basically, the Villa caterers are organising a pie-off (The X-Factor - or Pi-Factor - for butter pies).

The perfect butter pie is a regular topic on here, with much debate as to the best providers/bakers and the best recipe. The competition is being hosted by North End, and is open to professional and amateur alike. The ovens at the ground's catering facilities are more than adequate for the purpose, apparently. I'm told the winner will receive a two-year concession to sell pies at the ground (mind you - could be a tall order unless you're a professional baker!).

There are no firm details yet, but I think it's going to be pretty democratic: show up and either bake a pie or just sample some and vote. The first pie-off isn't even scheduled yet but Simon Rigby and the club are definitely up for it.

So: Which professional bakers should be invited, and is there anyone who fancies taking on the professionals?

PS I am nothing to do with Simon Rigby's company - though it was my (allegedly) bright idea. A couple of you on here know me and also know I'm doing this for the fun of it, nothing commercial here at all. I just noticed the enthusiasm for butter pies and contacted the caterers with the idea. Should be a good laugh.
    This is the best thread ever started on this website! Question. Has anyone ever had a bad butter pie?

First Team
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo poggi View Post
    This is the best thread ever started on this website! Question. Has anyone ever had a bad butter pie?
    Yes, last night at Broughton beer and pie festival.
    Poor. However some of the beer was brill as my throbbing head today will vouch for.

Pies .... I'm in .......
    There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.