Page 890 of 890 FirstFirst ... 390790840880888889890
Results 8,891 to 8,894 of 8894

Thread: Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Quote Originally Posted by pnematic View Post
    Yes , the EU are trying their damnedest to get us to remain.

They ve declared their hand there methinks .

Wonder why ? Hmmm ££££.
    How much easier it is to impose horrible irrevocable legislation on 27 countries if they have one unaccountable law creating body ? If national governments made the decisions on this type of thing they would have to explain why it is good to their voters and it would require 27 separate legislative processes.

This is why I see the EU as it is presently constituted as a neo liberal paradise. Little or no political control means the lobbyists have no troublesome contrarian politicians to deal with.

Better it was a United States of Europe than its present arrangement. At least a United States of Europe would encourage the development of Europe wide political movements that could establish a European government that changes its policy direction. But there is little sign of this really happening.. The lobbyists only have to buy the technocrats and you are home and dry.

U.K. Politics might be divided more than in living memory but at least we have a real debate going on.. Unlike the EU.

But ultimately I'd prefer a simple trading arrangement.. the Common Market we agreed to join in 1975.

I have a measure of sympathy with those whose Remain vote was based on the fear of the consequences of Leaving, the consequences of Leaving look increasingly serious. I don't understand and have yet to hear any remotely convincing argument in support of the EUs current way of operating.

I really do fear for Europes future and we can never be totally insulated from any descent into chaos. How far has it drifted from a post war dream of peace and shared prosperity ? Batten down the hatches.. Stormy seas ahead.
    Last edited by sliper; Today at 10:04 PM.
    If you pay to watch the Premier League on TV.. you are part of the problem !

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by sliper View Post
    How much easier it is to impose horrible irrevocable legislation on 27 countries if they have one unaccountable law creating body ? If national governments made the decisions on this type of thing they would have to explain why it is good to their voters and it would require 27 separate processes.

Ths us why I see the EU as it is presently constituted as a neo liberal paradise. Little or no political control means the lobbyists have no troublesome contrarian politicians to deal with.

Better it was a United States if Europe than its present arrangement. At least a United States of Europe would encourage the development of Europe wide political movements that could establish a European government that changes its policy direction. But there is little sign of this really happening.. The lobbyists only have to buy the technocrats and you are home and dry.

U.K. Politics might be divided more than in living memory but at least we have a real debate going on.. Unlike the EU.

But ultimately I'd prefer a simple trading arrangement.. the Common Market we agreed to join in 1975.

I really do fear for Europes future and we can never be insulated from any decent into chaos. How far has it drifted from a post war dream of peace and shared prosperity ?
    Well said , I m right with you.

Quote Originally Posted by pnematic View Post
    Well said , I m right with you.
    And me
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by sliper View Post
    How much easier it is to impose horrible irrevocable legislation on 27 countries if they have one unaccountable law creating body ? If national governments made the decisions on this type of thing they would have to explain why it is good to their voters and it would require 27 separate legislative processes.

This is why I see the EU as it is presently constituted as a neo liberal paradise. Little or no political control means the lobbyists have no troublesome contrarian politicians to deal with.

Better it was a United States of Europe than its present arrangement. At least a United States of Europe would encourage the development of Europe wide political movements that could establish a European government that changes its policy direction. But there is little sign of this really happening.. The lobbyists only have to buy the technocrats and you are home and dry.

I really do fear for Europes future and we can never be totally insulated from any descent into chaos. How far has it drifted from a post war dream of peace and shared prosperity ? Batten down the hatches.. Stormy seas ahead.
    load of crap
    change has never been gifted from above, it has always been fought for by people demanding it.