Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Northern rail and penalty charges. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Northern rail and penalty charges.

  1. #11
    First Team northender2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by sofaofthedamned View Post
    Ikea are awesome at customer service.
    Sounds like you had a good experience but ive had awful customer service from Ikea in the past, i ordered some items a few years ago, one of the items was missing from the delivery, after spending over an hour on hold trying to get through to someone they advised they'd deliver it the following week, i waited in all day and no delivery, again spent an hour on the phone to be told there was no record of the original conversation and the item hadn't been re-ordered, this happened 3 times before i finally cancelled the order and went into the store to collect it myself

    Having said that, i used to work in customer service and it can be difficult dealing with customers who always think they are the most important customer or their issue is the highest priority, the people who work in customer service do the best job they can, its just the companies who have stupid rules and procedures that make life hell for the customers and the staff who have to listen to their complaints.

  2. #12
    First Team giro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by europne View Post
    A friend of mine appears to have been given a penalty charge incorrectly, with the follow up details falsified and her signature forged in prosecution details by the Northernrail staff.

    It was for a journey from Preston to Manchester.

    It’s like parking tickets where they emphasise you will have to pay court costs and a large fine, but hey ho if you send us £100 now the case is closed, frightening most people into taking this course.

    Anyone else experienced similar issues or is this a one off.
    I can’t comment on the specific issue you make reference to, although I can well believe what you say.

    On a personal note. I’m quite happy to state that Northern Rail are an absolute disgrace of an organisation.

    They couldn’t give a stuff about their customers.

    At Preston station, and many other main line routes, they have absolutely no Managerial representation.

    You’re left to deal with the friendly named “revenue protection officers” who are actually employed by G4S.

    In fact the customer service centre is outsourced, as well.

    The rolling stock is a bloody joke.

    It took me 10 weeks to get a refund off them for a trip to Manchester.

    I could go one but I think I’ve ranted enough.

    Northern Fail would be a more appropriate name!

  3. #13
    Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,919
    Quote Originally Posted by giro View Post
    I can’t comment on the specific issue you make reference to, although I can well believe what you say.

    On a personal note. I’m quite happy to state that Northern Rail are an absolute disgrace of an organisation.

    They couldn’t give a stuff about their customers.

    At Preston station, and many other main line routes, they have absolutely no Managerial representation.

    You’re left to deal with the friendly named “revenue protection officers” who are actually employed by G4S.

    In fact the customer service centre is outsourced, as well.

    The rolling stock is a bloody joke.

    It took me 10 weeks to get a refund off them for a trip to Manchester.

    I could go one but I think I’ve ranted enough.

    Northern Fail would be a more appropriate name!
    It’s worse !!!!

    I wonder how many more people have been done like this.

    Friend of mine got a train Preston to Manchester, asked staff if it was ok to get on the train without a ticket, they said no problem get on the train. The train had come from Scotland and was so crowded there was no chance of getting a ticket on the train, when she got of at Piccadilly she purchased a return ticket to Preston. She was then approached by a plain clothes Northern Rail employee who accused her of travelling without a ticket, she showed her tickets, but the person still took her details, she produced her photo driving licence for identification, with her signature on it.

    Several weeks later she received details saying she would be prosecuted, and asking her for details of what happened. She wrote back explaining she had purchased a ticket etc. And thought that would be the end of it.

    Several weeks later she received a summons to go to court to be prosecuted for travelling from Wigan, and that in the prosecution details the investigator said she had purchased a ticket from Oxford Rd to evade paying the fare, which she said she had made her sign on the back , and then supposedly took this as evidence, which NEVER happened.

    The summons also said how much she would be possibly be fined, all bully and scare tactics, BUT, if she paid £100, plus the £4 fare from Wigan they would drop the case. I saw a solicitor friend of mine who advised her to fight the case, as I did, but the thought of going to court was too scary for her and she paid the fine, as many people would.

    The signature on the back of the ticket she supposedly bought was forged, and the story about travelling from Wigan made up by the investigator.

    How many others have been scammed like this, or is this a one off?

  4. #14
    First Team giro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by europne View Post
    It’s worse !!!!

    I wonder how many more people have been done like this.

    Friend of mine got a train Preston to Manchester, asked staff if it was ok to get on the train without a ticket, they said no problem get on the train. The train had come from Scotland and was so crowded there was no chance of getting a ticket on the train, when she got of at Piccadilly she purchased a return ticket to Preston. She was then approached by a plain clothes Northern Rail employee who accused her of travelling without a ticket, she showed her tickets, but the person still took her details, she produced her photo driving licence for identification, with her signature on it.

    Several weeks later she received details saying she would be prosecuted, and asking her for details of what happened. She wrote back explaining she had purchased a ticket etc. And thought that would be the end of it.

    Several weeks later she received a summons to go to court to be prosecuted for travelling from Wigan, and that in the prosecution details the investigator said she had purchased a ticket from Oxford Rd to evade paying the fare, which she said she had made her sign on the back , and then supposedly took this as evidence, which NEVER happened.

    The summons also said how much she would be possibly be fined, all bully and scare tactics, BUT, if she paid £100, plus the £4 fare from Wigan they would drop the case. I saw a solicitor friend of mine who advised her to fight the case, as I did, but the thought of going to court was too scary for her and she paid the fine, as many people would.

    The signature on the back of the ticket she supposedly bought was forged, and the story about travelling from Wigan made up by the investigator.

    How many others have been scammed like this, or is this a one off?
    Quote Originally Posted by europne View Post
    It’s worse !!!!

    I wonder how many more people have been done like this.

    Friend of mine got a train Preston to Manchester, asked staff if it was ok to get on the train without a ticket, they said no problem get on the train. The train had come from Scotland and was so crowded there was no chance of getting a ticket on the train, when she got of at Piccadilly she purchased a return ticket to Preston. She was then approached by a plain clothes Northern Rail employee who accused her of travelling without a ticket, she showed her tickets, but the person still took her details, she produced her photo driving licence for identification, with her signature on it.

    Several weeks later she received details saying she would be prosecuted, and asking her for details of what happened. She wrote back explaining she had purchased a ticket etc. And thought that would be the end of it.

    Several weeks later she received a summons to go to court to be prosecuted for travelling from Wigan, and that in the prosecution details the investigator said she had purchased a ticket from Oxford Rd to evade paying the fare, which she said she had made her sign on the back , and then supposedly took this as evidence, which NEVER happened.

    The summons also said how much she would be possibly be fined, all bully and scare tactics, BUT, if she paid £100, plus the £4 fare from Wigan they would drop the case. I saw a solicitor friend of mine who advised her to fight the case, as I did, but the thought of going to court was too scary for her and she paid the fine, as many people would.

    The signature on the back of the ticket she supposedly bought was forged, and the story about travelling from Wigan made up by the investigator.

    How many others have been scammed like this, or is this a one off?
    Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

    I regularly have to travel from Preston, at short notice. Got to the Station, but couldn’t buy a ticket because the ticketing system had a glitch. I was told by the Ticket Office to pay on the train. Explained this to the “Revenue protection officer” aka The Bridge Gestapo, and was let through. About a minute later, as the train was pulling into the station, one of the gorillas walked onto the platform and said I’d lied to them because the ticket system was working. I pointed out that it may be working now, but it wasn’t 2 mins ago. He decided to call the police because he didn’t believe me. The upshot was I missed the train. The policewomen told me she was trying to help me. I pointed out the only thing she’d done was to help me miss the train!

    Northern Rail couldn’t give a toss!

    Never thought I say it, Nationalising the railways seems like the best option!

  5. #15
    Substitute Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tabby's Star
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by giro View Post
    Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

    I regularly have to travel from Preston, at short notice. Got to the Station, but couldn’t buy a ticket because the ticketing system had a glitch. I was told by the Ticket Office to pay on the train. Explained this to the “Revenue protection officer” aka The Bridge Gestapo, and was let through. About a minute later, as the train was pulling into the station, one of the gorillas walked onto the platform and said I’d lied to them because the ticket system was working. I pointed out that it may be working now, but it wasn’t 2 mins ago. He decided to call the police because he didn’t believe me. The upshot was I missed the train. The policewomen told me she was trying to help me. I pointed out the only thing she’d done was to help me miss the train!

    Northern Rail couldn’t give a toss!

    Never thought I say it, Nationalising the railways seems like the best option!
    Yes i've heard the Revenue Protection Officer crap
    Not a Ticket Inspector anymore - more Bollocks PC.

    This company sounds bent. (Lost in greed)

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42283561

  6. #16
    Substitute Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tabby's Star
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by giro View Post
    Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

    I regularly have to travel from Preston, at short notice. Got to the Station, but couldn’t buy a ticket because the ticketing system had a glitch. I was told by the Ticket Office to pay on the train. Explained this to the “Revenue protection officer” aka The Bridge Gestapo, and was let through. About a minute later, as the train was pulling into the station, one of the gorillas walked onto the platform and said I’d lied to them because the ticket system was working. I pointed out that it may be working now, but it wasn’t 2 mins ago. He decided to call the police because he didn’t believe me. The upshot was I missed the train. The policewomen told me she was trying to help me. I pointed out the only thing she’d done was to help me miss the train!

    Northern Rail couldn’t give a toss!

    Never thought I say it, Nationalising the railways seems like the best option!
    Yes i've heard the Revenue Protection Officer crap
    Not a Ticket Inspector anymore - more Bollocks PC.

    This company sounds bent. (Lost in greed)

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42283561

  7. #17
    Coaching Staff CJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lane Ends
    Posts
    2,349
    Went to the Christmas markets in Manchester on the train last Sunday. Should've driven on reflection. The train was delayed and when it finally arrived there were already people standing in the aisles. Not a good start when you've paid over £30 return for two adults and a child. On the way back a sinister looking chap came and sat at our table and said he was conducting a survey for the train company and after inspecting our tickets he started asking where we'd bought the tickets and where we'd got on and off the train. Fuck know's what all that was about?
    Last edited by CJB; 09-12-2017 at 08:30 AM.

  8. #18
    Director raefil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    59,114
    suggestion for anyone going to christmas markets in manchester. Theres a park and ride at Tyldeseley, bus from there runs along guided busway and then bus lanes. Drops you right at the market. V1 or V2 bus, costs 4 quid return.
    .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •