Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Starvation, sex and charity. - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92

Thread: Starvation, sex and charity.

  1. #21
    Director raefil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    60,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mellie View Post
    New window display 😀

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
    snigger
    .

  2. #22
    Assistant Manager Longshanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mellie View Post
    New window display 😀

    Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by europne View Post
    Watching news programmes over the last week I have seen some truly appalling things about refugee camps with regard to Syria, Myanmar and now Congo. What the hell is wrong with this world that this happens.

    But all of these have been totally overshadowed by the unfolding sex scandal , where people are queuing up to get on camera to have their say about how appalling it is, and how much air time is being given to it. This gives a bad name to charities.

    Distasteful as it may be what is appalling to me is how this now appears to be more important than the horrors which are taking place and which numerous charities are trying hard to help.

    The media just loves a sex scandal, thousands of people dieing through ethnic cleansing and hunger just arenít that interesting it seems.

    Maybe if they changed their name to SEXFAM they might get more coverage.
    Good point. Two things. I imagine many workers involved in prolonged overseas work indulge in the worlds oldest trade for mutual benefit and in a consenting way. Secondly that the media has decided for what ever to run this story now when it could have done at any time over the last 40 years. The responses to your post indicate how this will impact negatively on the peoples that need the help most. Whether 10%, 50% or 80% gets through is immaterial. It will not improve their lot. Until some Haitian claims widescale criminality, I'm totally cynical about the motive for the story.

  4. #24
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,475
    Quote Originally Posted by portisheadpete View Post
    Good point. Two things. I imagine many workers involved in prolonged overseas work indulge in the worlds oldest trade for mutual benefit and in a consenting way. Secondly that the media has decided for what ever to run this story now when it could have done at any time over the last 40 years. The responses to your post indicate how this will impact negatively on the peoples that need the help most. Whether 10%, 50% or 80% gets through is immaterial. It will not improve their lot. Until some Haitian claims widescale criminality, I'm totally cynical about the motive for the story.
    I have some sympathy with that view - although not quite so cynical. If the story was limited to some use of prostitutes amongst aid workers, I would be very disappointed but not shocked - nor would I consider it to be the end of an organisation like Oxfam.

    In fact, I suspect that if Oxfam had handled the story better... admitted to failing... promised changes... they could have ridden the storm. But their decision to cover the story up, and then suffer the drip feed of revelations has caused it to get out of hand.

    I do believe that big charities are flabby organisations - and it seems that they have been corrupted to some extent... and infiltrated by some people who perhaps see a trip to Haiti, or other such place, as some sort of adventure, or maybe a power trip. Must be very painful for those whose hearts are in it to be tarred by this brush.

    We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, but some serious sorting out needs doing.

  5. #25
    Reserve Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Way out East
    Posts
    211
    Now it all becomes clear. I had no idea that the good Christian Mogg and the good right-wingers at the Express have been leading the charge against foreign aid. The timing of these revelations, even though it all seems to involve mature consenting adults, makes perfect sense. Feed the right-wing zeitgeist but not the hungry.

  6. #26
    Reserve Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Way out East
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    There are loads of evidence to show where foreign aid is wasted. You asked for my opinion, I gave it.

    Can you prove to me a % that is guaranteed to go where it should?
    "Loads of evidence" is conjecture not facts.

  7. #27
    Director raefil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    60,928
    Quote Originally Posted by PNEPPC View Post
    Now it all becomes clear. I had no idea that the good Christian Mogg and the good right-wingers at the Express have been leading the charge against foreign aid. The timing of these revelations, even though it all seems to involve mature consenting adults, makes perfect sense. Feed the right-wing zeitgeist but not the hungry.
    Lets just say, also, that Oxfam are one of the few charities to break ranks and actually have the balls to criticise what the govts, "Austerity," policies are actually doing to the country.
    .

  8. #28
    Investor Liberation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Plungy
    Posts
    20,505
    Quote Originally Posted by PNEPPC View Post
    Now it all becomes clear. I had no idea that the good Christian Mogg and the good right-wingers at the Express have been leading the charge against foreign aid. The timing of these revelations, even though it all seems to involve mature consenting adults, makes perfect sense. Feed the right-wing zeitgeist but not the hungry.
    Whatever are you suggesting?
    Vote For John Brown

  9. #29
    ANARCHIST Nobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    never been in the clink
    Posts
    46,927
    Quote Originally Posted by PNEPPC View Post
    "Loads of evidence" is conjecture not facts.
    So as I have requested now twice, show me the proof where the vast majority of aid actually gets to the people that need it. As you say anything else YOU write is simply conjecture.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

  10. #30
    ANARCHIST Nobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    never been in the clink
    Posts
    46,927
    If it was between consenting adults I don't see the issue. I am more concerned about this:

    In the financial year 2012/13, Oxfam said its chief executive was paid £119,560 - a figure the charity says is in "the lower quartile of what other large charities paid for their chief executives".

    Charity?
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •