Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Five years today...

Assistant Manager BigMarkLeonard's Avatar
    We won't know though until we have budgets.

If Westley's was half of Simon's he has a valid excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by europne View Post
    Thank you Dreyfuss.

I think that completely ends this nonesense about Westley the Hatchman.

He was just shit, at everything.
    Seconded. Nice One Dreyfuss.

An eloquent and comprehensive summary of The Lunatic's disastrous contribution to PNE which should extinguish, beyond all doubt, the belief that he was in any way a force for good at our club. I somehow doubt it though.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMarkLeonard View Post
    We won't know though until we have budgets.

If Westley's was half of Simon's he has a valid excuse...
    You only have a soft spot for GW because you were the kind of donkey he would pick Mark.

Assistant Manager BigMarkLeonard's Avatar
    Even Westley would probably shun me.

No idea where my soft spot comes from. It has been somewhat diminished by the facts within this thread though.

In theory the Westley appointment could and maybe should have worked. He'd taken Stevenage to the brink of the league 1 play offs which was our target at the time and he'd done it with a small budget and players who would work hard for him.

Signing up the best of league 1 - we signed loads of poty's from other clubs - like Welsh, Huntington, Laird, Holmes was a good move. The problem was he couldn't get them to play and the club was actually far to big for most of them, and him. He didn't help himself of course, leaking of the team, sending players to train alone, training on the pitch and not moving up north all went against him.

I actually supported him for far to long in the hope that it would eventually click but he should have gone before he did. Though if he had we probably wouldn't have ended up with Grayson.

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by Schemer View Post
    Spot on regarding Grayson's contribution but let's not forget it was Hemmings/Ridsdale who appointed Wesley. At least they redeemed themselves with Grayson.
    schemer -

I had it on very good authority at the time (from inside the boardroom) that Hemmings wanted to keep Grezza and co to the end of the season but Ridders persuaded him to appoint Westley in a sunday evening conversation!

TH backed PR's judgement.... and of course PR then had to back GW's transfer policy !!!! and we all regretted it...

Certainly PR has made up for it since with Grayson and Neil - and still football people are taken in by Medal Winners 'words of wisdom.

I read an article form him in the paper in January about the 5 steps a manager must make when taking over a struggling club - NONE of which steps did GW take here!

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyfuss View Post
    Dreyfuss - one example to back up your great post.... our 'best player & capt' at the time was Paul Coutts....not a great player imo but playing as well as anyone.
    Westley wanted him to play as a 'midfield enforcer' rather than the attacking midfielder he was.

PC said he couldnt see himself playing that role (i.e. the pearson roll) well. Westley's answer was "a NOBODY can do that roll".

The next week GW brought in Andy Proctor and introduced him to Coutts and the squad as "this is the NOBODY who can do your job". and made AP capt and central midfield enforcer.
    Coutts was on his way....

It did nothing for AP to be known as "NOBODY" in the dressing room....

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    Since the medal winner was sacked over a coffee at Waterloo railway station.

We now go into the final stretch of the season, only three points away from the play offs in the Championship. That seems light years away at the time and to think that Brentford fan accused us of playing anti football on Saturday!

When we get irritated a bit at times it may be worth remembering just how bad things had got.
    JK - thanks for the reminder of a great day...... 5 years ago in January my Mum passed away and we had a collection at her funeral for PNE Youth Academy...

Nick Harrison et al was appointed soon after as Academy boss.

I told Nick about the collection but told him "I wouldnt be passing the money over UNTIL Westley had been sacked!" - because GW was destroying the youth set-up...Hoyland etc...

He fully understood.

So, 5 years ago tomorrow, I passed over the money to Nick 'in celebration' of mum's life and medal winners departure !

We all looked forward to John Dreyers first and only game in charge - Bournemouth H = I wonder what happened to Bournemouth after we hammered them ??

Good post. And a scary reminder of how shit our manager and team were then. I was convinced that, with Medal Winner in charge, we'd have plummeted into League 2.

Credit to the board for bringing in Larry and changing our fortunes around. We're in a great place at the minute.

It always amuses me how Westley get credit for NOT doing something (i.e. renewing a few contracts that were expiring) as if that task somehow required some sort of fusion of Shankley, Ferguson and Ramsey to pull off. And that's practically all the defenders can come up with.

And people talk about style of football. If anyone can tell me what style he was attempting to pull off then they're a better man than me. All i saw was directionless, shapeless mush.

We've had a few shocking managers in our time, the early 80's particularly, but i doubt anyone else did more to alienate an entire club, inside and out. The man has no business being anywhere near professional football.
    Recommended ignore list: 05simpsonm, bsk4ever, Hans Asperges, PNE4LIFE, preach, billymac