+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veterans Mental Health

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Weston View Post
    Top man mars. Deep down you're a good 'un......just a bit misunderstood at times?!
    lol - yeah lets go with that
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

During the time I served (1960 - 1983) we had Military Hospitals with one (Netley) specializing in mental health problems. Now there are no military hospitals at all (except of course the Field Hospitals) and military and veterans have to rely on a hard pushed over worked NHS. We should be more like the yanks in this manner in that they not only have military hospitals but also veterans hospitals - perhaps something in between these two would be better than currently relying on NHS and Charities
    With my luck I'll be at the airport when my boat comes in

Quote Originally Posted by Baldygit View Post
    During the time I served (1960 - 1983) we had Military Hospitals with one (Netley) specializing in mental health problems. Now there are no military hospitals at all (except of course the Field Hospitals) and military and veterans have to rely on a hard pushed over worked NHS. We should be more like the yanks in this manner in that they not only have military hospitals but also veterans hospitals - perhaps something in between these two would be better than currently relying on NHS and Charities
    Hi Baldy ... Was Netley the one in Brum? Apparently back in the day that was the only option! I the NHS, due to the military covenant, veterans should be prioritised. I can send you a copy of the letter I used to ensure this happened when dealing with health professionals if you want?

There are a lot of charities around, most of which are appropriate, for Veterans to use for a variety of needs. In terms of mental health the only 2 realistic (and accredited) options are the NHS and Combat Stress. Access to both mental health and psychology services varies nationally BUT within the NHS they should be prioritised. Combat Stress offer both community services and in-patient services at their various treatment Centres, Hollybush House, Audley Court and Tyrwhitt House which service the whole of the British Isles. Some NHS Trusts (mental health) have specific services for Veterans that act asa pathway into appropriate services.

I think the military are actually starting to monitor these things more (although I'm sceptical, if I'm honest) with serving soldiers with initiatives like TRIM which I believe was initiated by the Royal Marines.
    Last edited by marsbars; 08-03-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

A PDF of the military covenant for anyone that needs it
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_covenant.pdf

No not Brum - that came after all military hospitals were closed down. Netley was purely a mental hospital near Southampton for serving military personnel. I accept the military covenant goes some way towards helping solve the situation but most ex service personnel are very sceptical about it.
    With my luck I'll be at the airport when my boat comes in

Quote Originally Posted by Baldygit View Post
    No not Brum - that came after all military hospitals were closed down. Netley was purely a mental hospital near Southampton for serving military personnel. I accept the military covenant goes some way towards helping solve the situation but most ex service personnel are very sceptical about it.
    Veterans are sceptical about anything civvy though aren't they fella The problem with the covenant is that the general public services are ignorant to it in a lot of cases. Trust me I've had 9 month waiting lists reduced to under a week when Ive quoted it.

+ Reply to Thread