Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Major League Baseball 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jcfartpants View Post
    My limited knowledge of baseball tells me that a 70 game winning streak is highly likely.

Lucroy did and had he not buggered it up it'd have been a 4-game sweep away at Houston - as it was it was 3-1. It was one of those one in a million plays apparently.
    I would limit that to 'somewhat likely', John .

Yes, Lucroy's play was one of those like Russel Martin's for the Jays against the Rangers in the playoffs a couple of years back. Martin was returning an out-of-play ball to the pitcher and hit the batter's bat. That put the ball in play and the runner scored from third. Umpires had no idea what the ruling actually was at that moment but it turns out the same thing happened in 1908 (I think ). Who knew (well, the runner at third base for a start )? There was a twenty minute delay while that got sorted. You really don't see the catcher miss tagging a batter; as you say it's one in a million.

(I'll PM you this weekend regarding the Snot's annual pilgrimage to Deepdale in September.)
    Clean Sheets Win Championships. UP THE NOBBERS & CURRY POWER . Proud sponsor of the EMB.

Chief Anal Acoustician jcfartpants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Snot View Post
    I would limit that to 'somewhat likely', John .

Yes, Lucroy's play was one of those like Russel Martin's for the Jays against the Rangers in the playoffs a couple of years back. Martin was returning an out-of-play ball to the pitcher and hit the batter's bat. That put the ball in play and the runner scored from third. Umpires had no idea what the ruling actually was at that moment but it turns out the same thing happened in 1908 (I think ). Who knew (well, the runner at third base for a start )? There was a twenty minute delay while that got sorted. You really don't see the catcher miss tagging a batter; as you say it's one in a million.

(I'll PM you this weekend regarding the Snot's annual pilgrimage to Deepdale in September.)
    A weird play indeed. So at what point is a play dead then? Doesn't the umpire make a signal to notify that?
    East Midlands Branch