Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City of whingers and moaners?

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    Its really depressing reading at times. The amount of misinformation is staggering too. People just dont want to even check facts before they go into a rant about certain bodies, not even realising thyre aiming their ire at totally the wrong organisation.

I think Preston is a rapidly improving city, even the Bus Station is now starting to look really smart from the outside too.
    Proof of why many moons ago only wise sages had access to parchment, ink and quill !

Quote Originally Posted by shabbagaz View Post
    To be fair, that's what the group is supposed to be about and the admin encourages it. However, it has got to the point where it is just the same photos/subjects posted constantly.

I used to post my own to the group fairly regularly but haven't posted any for a long while.
    So shall we liven it up and be proactive?
    Last edited by marsbars; 12-03-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

Its really depressing reading at times. The amount of misinformation is staggering too. People just dont want to even check facts before they go into a rant about certain bodies, not even realising thyre aiming their ire at totally the wrong organisation.

I think Preston is a rapidly improving city, even the Bus Station is now starting to look really smart from the outside too.
    Or should we join this depression?
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

Someone recently told me that Simon Rigby is actually a Blackpool fan. I was surprised at this news, if indeed correct. I can't remember who told me though. Can anyone clarify this?
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Quote Originally Posted by chorleythehord View Post
    I’m afraid I don’t share the Simon Rigby lovein. I like the ambition, but without going in to detail, I don’t like some of the ways he does things. I think he may well get his comeuppance and I’m not sure his guild hall plans will come off.
    Which parts? I thought most of his Guild Hall stuff was now complete?

Quote Originally Posted by shabbagaz View Post
    I can't help myself sometimes and have got involved in another spat on one of the Facebook groups!

The new market has been a constant topic of conversation yet the same people continue to pop up and slag it off something rotten, very unfairly IMO. The old market hall is/was a dump and something needed to be done.

For too long Preston had been merely treading water and nothing was being done to realise Preston's potential. However, over the past few years we've had very positive and encouraging developments.
    Why is it some people continue to put the city down and slag it off something rotten?

We've had the Fishergate scheme (yes, it would be better fully pedestrianised but it's a damn site better than it was before!), ongoing improvements down Lancaster Road, the Guild Hall and it's many improvements since being taken over by Simon Rigby, the restoration of Winckley Square, a growing real ale scene (still work to be done admittedly), the improvements to the bus station (a building I'm not exactly a fan of, but at least it's better than it was), the new market development and the new cinema that will be built.

Practically every positive development gets slagged off.

From my own point of view - I love the city and I'm proud of being a Prestonian. I'm pleased Preston is making progress likewise I'm proud of it's history, it's football team (of course) and the many picturesque scenes the city has to offer.

All I ever hear, certainly from some on the Facebook groups, is people constantly putting the city and it's developments down and branding it a "shithole" which is far from the truth.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just beginning to find the constant put-downs infuriating.
    You're right, there have been some good improvements recently. There's certainly a lot more food and drink options than there used to be and Fishergate does look better. Still plenty of developments going on, the uni roundabout and the market development etc.

Shame that the roads aren't great. And with that (as well as the pot holes) I mean the way the traffic lights are set there is very little chance of moving around the centre without having to stop at several sets of traffic lights for even a short journey. I think there could be some cheap simple changes here that could really help things.

Preachs PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    The one thing that the City Center has going against it, in terms of a full scale development, is space.

Unless you totally demolish a substantial inner city area and re-start with a blank sheet of paper. Not going to happen due to cost.
    Wasn't that how Liverpool One came about though so it can be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    You're right, there have been some good improvements recently. There's certainly a lot more food and drink options than there used to be and Fishergate does look better. Still plenty of developments going on, the uni roundabout and the market development etc.

Shame that the roads aren't great. And with that (as well as the pot holes) I mean the way the traffic lights are set there is very little chance of moving around the centre without having to stop at several sets of traffic lights for even a short journey. I think there could be some cheap simple changes here that could really help things.
    The irony of this post is that this is eactly what gaz is on about.

Potholes traffic signals are nothing whatever to do with our city council.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Benn
    ‘I don’t like being called a Eurosceptic. I just disagree with the system. I wasn’t an Anglo-sceptic when Mrs Thatcher was in power. I just disagreed with her policies.’

The irony of this post is that this is eactly what gaz is on about.

Potholes traffic signals are nothing whatever to do with our city council.
    Excellent. If you can point out where I said it was then great. But I think you'll struggle.

I would have thought the irony was an OP moaning and whinging about people moaning and whinging?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    The one thing that the City Center has going against it, in terms of a full scale development, is space.

Unless you totally demolish a substantial inner city area and re-start with a blank sheet of paper. Not going to happen due to cost.
    Absolutely happy with that.. many centres have been ruined by these large developments. That was the whole problem.. councils had become myopically focused on big developments for the usual national retailers you can see everywhere.

Development poloicy was geared to getting as many shoppers as possible into XYZ boring national retailers but in doing so they pretty much destroyed the centres of many towns.

Small developments, creating a unique city centre experience and keeping the integrity of the centre is the way forward.. it would seem Preston has at long last got the message after years of bad planning.
    This is the way to attract shoppers away from other centres and places like the Trafford centre

The truth is competition from the internet shopping has most likely killed these boring retail schemes and caused this rethink

But remember its only a few years ago they were planning to knock down the bus station and replace it with more boring retail sheds..
    Last edited by sliper; 13-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    If you pay to watch the Premier League on TV.. you are part of the problem !