Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Another pervert in youth football?

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    I also suspect that it is easier for a normal fifty-something person to navigate the "minefield" than someone who is their low to mid twenties.
    on the contrary regardless - Someone my age has had to adapt to these new regulations and it isn't easy- someone in their 20s are likely to have known nothing different and will have had it drummed into them and how to avoid it from the get-go.
    Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

that's a fair counter-argument, and I can't say which is more difficult. I was thinking that a sociable young coach, working with 17 yr olds, is surely going to identify much more intimately with the players... whereas someone fifty-plus would find it much easier to set themselves aside and keep things on a 'professional' footing. And whilst we older ones might have some adapting to do, we're more experienced in life and less impetuous and less driven by hormones!

I was also going to say that we're less likely to fall foul of injudicious use of Twitface and other social media. But thinking about it, it seems that people of all generations get themselves in trouble posting stuff that they later regret!

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Yes, same here Jordan, and I'm only really commenting as someone who also works with youngsters and pointing out to those who don't that it really is a minefield in this day and age. Abuse in football/sports coaching is massive news at the moment and that will be the reason why they are all over this case involving Ellis rather than some sort of witch hunt by someone with a grudge against Ellis and Fylde as someone earlier suggested.
    I don't condone what he's done at all, and clearly it's unacceptable behaviour hence losing his job, just think there's something amiss with that Mirror article, in comparison to the one in the Post. The story is grossly exaggerated compared to the one in the Post, they've also been able to name him whereas the Post were seemingly told not to, and the anonymous source quoting seems to also be false if what Fylde have said about possible legal action is anything to go by. It just seemed to me like a very aggressive and almost spiteful article, rather than just reporting the facts at this stage, and no doubt any apology that could take place in the future will be took away in a few lines in the corner of the paper.

As many of us have said though it will be much, much easier to draw conclusion when the investigation is complete and the police have puts the facts out there.

Abuse in football, as I said earlier in the thread, is obviously a very serious problem at the moment but it doesn't mean hysteria and demonising in the national press should take place after every accusation of inappropriate behaviour. We will have to see where the police draw the line on this case between what's inappropriate and what's abusive, and from what Jordan is saying it sounds like he has been nothing more than an idiot who has rightfully lost his job as a result of it.
    Last edited by sedgwick__7; 10-04-2018 at 05:22 PM.

The apparent conflict between the Mirror's version (I only have it second hand, I won't click on that link) and that of the LEP is huge.

I used to buy the Mirror whenever I fancied a tabloid - until those faked photos of British soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners - when Piers Morgan got sacked. I've not bought one since.
    I know the lad in question who sold the pics to the Mirror. He lived on Tulketh Brow near the start of Tom Benson Way. He took the pictures in Kimberly Barracks next to Deepdale and ended up with a dishonorable discharge from the Ta. He kept the money he got paid up front from the Mirror £20,000

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mellie View Post
    I know the lad in question who sold the pics to the Mirror. He lived on Tulketh Brow near the start of Tom Benson Way. He took the pictures in Kimberly Barracks next to Deepdale and ended up with a dishonorable discharge from the Ta. He kept the money he got paid up front from the Mirror £20,000

Interesting! Wonder what drove him to do it. What was in his mind. A challenge? Stupidity? Greed? Mischief?

Interesting! Wonder what drove him to do it. What was in his mind. A challenge? Stupidity? Greed? Mischief?
    £££££££

2 points:

1, his picture is still on the Tapatalk version of the thread title and I can see and recognise the fella in question.

2, I know that, any person in a position of trust be it policeman, teacher, doctor, football coach etc etc, can not abuse that position of trust with anyone regardless of age otherwise they risk suspension and severe implications with the police in the continuation of any future employment.

You can have a relationship with someone you have had a trustful relationship with granted they are over 18, are of sound mind and you havenít been in a position of trust with that person for at least 2 years. Apparently all that makes a big difference.

So for instance a 24 year old teacher could start a relationship with an 18 year old ex pupil for instance. However they couldnít if they were at the sixth form, if that makes sense. They would have to wait until the person left and would wait a further 2 years.

This is why this football coach is in trouble - that and the fact there are also 15 year olds involved too.

FWIW I never understand why some people find much younger girls/boys attractive I was only really interested in my own age group - give or take a few years.

Especially if those are people you are supposedly in care of at that moment in time or recent time.

In loco parentis. Look it up if you arenít familiar with it.

that's a fair counter-argument, and I can't say which is more difficult. I was thinking that a sociable young coach, working with 17 yr olds, is surely going to identify much more intimately with the players... whereas someone fifty-plus would find it much easier to set themselves aside and keep things on a 'professional' footing. And whilst we older ones might have some adapting to do, we're more experienced in life and less impetuous and less driven by hormones!

I was also going to say that we're less likely to fall foul of injudicious use of Twitface and other social media. But thinking about it, it seems that people of all generations get themselves in trouble posting stuff that they later regret!
    Can I say that is complete bollocks.

I was 22 when I started teaching and I was completely professional in my 10years in the job. Some of the comments from some girls and boys where a little unprofessional at times, but you set them clear boundaries as with all inappropriate behaviour in the classroom/corridors and you then move on. If anything serious happened I would have reported it. I only once had to do so, and that girl was then told that her behaviour was inappropriate by the deputy head. It then stopped after that.

If someone is of the mindset to be unprofessional - they will be unprofessional at whatever age. There was a case at my school - who I actually replaced, funnily enough, he was in his late 50s.

Iím not saying young teachers arenít unprofessional in that regard, the comments Iíve heard over the years make you cringe sometimes. But that can be from women and men doing their first year right through to their last!

However the kids can also be unprofessional, but what you have to understand is that until they are 18 (in some cases even 21!!!) they are still kids or acting like kids and should be treated as such and given boundaries. Or simply passed on to someone higher I you think your job is in jeopardy!