Thread: Blood Biker dies after collision in Lancaster.

Blood Biker dies after collision in Lancaster.

Awful news.

One of our forum members does this so when i first saw the report I was fearing the worst. Glady it isnt him.

These guys dedicate their time for free in order to save our lives. My heart goes out to this guys family and friends.

A man has died following a collision in Lancaster last night (Saturday, May 5th).

The incident occurred at around 7:45pm when a man riding a Blood Bikes NW motorcycle has collided with a white Jaguar XJR on Caton Road close to the junction with the Bay Gateway.

The rider, who has been named as Russell Curwen (pictured below with his mother Pat), 49, from Kendal was air lifted to Royal Preston Hospital where he sadly passed away a short time later. The Jaguar driver, a 65 year old man from Morecambe, suffered minor injuries and was also taken to hospital.

Sgt Lee Harris from the Road Policing Unit said: “Firstly, my thoughts are with the family of Mr Curwen at this incredibly sad and difficult time.

“This was a tragic incident involving a man who was conveying items on behalf the NHS and a car that was driving along the slip road towards the Bay Gateway.

“If you saw anything that you think could help with our enquiries, please do get in contact with us.”

Russell Curwen’s family have paid the following tribute to him: “Russell liked to live life to the full. He had a keen interest in active hobbies including diving, skiing, mountain biking and surfing, however it was for his employment as a Medical Services Support Driver and his voluntary work for the Blood Bike North West that Russell is best remembered.

“He gave up his time to take much needed, vital blood supplies to hospitals to help people who needed it most, and Russell died doing what he loved. Russell is a much loved son, brother and uncle and he will be greatly missed by all who knew him.”
    https://www.lancashire.police.uk/new...n=SocialSignIn
    change has never been gifted from above, it has always been fought for by people demanding it.

RIP. Hero.
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    Awful news.

One of our forum members does this so when i first saw the report I was fearing the worst. Glady it isnt him.

These guys dedicate their time for free in order to save our lives. My heart goes out to this guys family and friends.

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/new...n=SocialSignIn
    Sadly, he is my father's cousin's son. RIP Russell

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of this poor gentleman.
    No wums please - low patience threshold

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Sadly, he is my father's cousin's son. RIP Russell
    So sorry to read that.

Obviously a wonderful human being volunteering as he did.

Very sad
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Manager
    Why is it always the good guys ?

RIP

Assistant Manager northender0602's Avatar
    Poor guy, feel for his family. Died doing good for others, so sad.

Thorium Indium Potassium
    I never knew Russell, but a lot of my Bloodbike colleagues did, and he was well loved by everyone and he loved what he did for NorthWest Blood Bikes Lancs & Lakes. Russell died doing what he loved, riding a motorbike, at the same time delivering urgent samples to Lancaster hospital, in his own time on a purely voluntary basis.

I was also on call on Saturday night and I was being updated on the situation and unfortunately our worst fears were confirmed late evening.

All volunteer Bloodbikers know the risks but what we do can make a real difference. We are all well trained and experienced, Russell was one of the most experienced of us all. But sometimes it’s out of our hands.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit attrocities." Voltaire
    https://humanism.org.uk/

Poor fellah. As a motorcyclist myself, I have the utmost respect for these chaps.
    "It's like the War of.... Game of.....War of nutrition" - Simon Grayson