Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread 2018

Assistant Manager
    I don't understand how Ben Stokes gets to play in the ladies singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    How did you enjoy Wimbledon Ando?

Just watching Katie Boulter on TV now, up against Osaka, the 18th seed. Katie has been making great strides amongst a little clutch of British girls who got into or near the top 200.

She's playing some super stuff at times but not quite steady/consistent enough and just lost the first set 6-3. Hopefully early nerves (which took her to 0-3 at the start) that can be overcome to provide more of a threat.

Boulter looks like she's heading for top 50 for sure... then who knows?... would not shock me to see her in the top 20 in a couple of years. In fact, as a 21-yr-old, if you filter out all players >22yrs, she's 16th ranked in the world - and we have three other girls in the list of "under 22 yr olds" in the world, so hopefully at least one of those four young players can really kick on as they mature... my guess is either Boulter or maybe Taylor.
    It was absolutely brilliant regardless...... we were on Court one and saw Liam Broadby get thumped by Raonic and also we saw Serena won her first round game... the whole atmosphere was magnificent !

We will definitely be applying again for next year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ando60 View Post
    It was absolutely brilliant regardless...... we were on Court one and saw Liam Broadby get thumped by Raonic and also we saw Serena won her first round game... the whole atmosphere was magnificent !

We will definitely be applying again for next year.....
    I was gobsmacked when I first went. Glad you had such a great day.

I was gobsmacked when I first went. Glad you had such a great day.
    It's all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes as well that make it so magical...

The walled garden, the beautiful flowers, all the service people so wonderfully turned out in their uniforms, the politeness of everyone.. it truly was a wonderful day !

Turning attention to the future of British tennis... two of our really promising young singles players, Jay Clark (19) and Harriet Dart have teamed up in the senior mixed doubles and have made it through to semi-final. They've got it tough against Jamie Murray & Azarenka in the next hour or so.

Even though Murray and Azarenka are more likely to deliver a grand slam for GB, I think it would be great if the two youngsters got through to the final.

In Boys' singles, we've got Jack Draper playing in the semi-final right now. I've watched a couple of his games, and he looks really competent and he's currently battling 4-5 in the second set, after he took the first one on a tie-break... not been a break of serve in the match yet.

Draper's only 16 too, a year younger than most.

Assistant Manager
    Looks like Isner is trying to beat his own record.

61 year old Martina is playing in the invitational doubles.

Bartoli (33) and Hantuchova (35) are getting torn a new one.

The Isner - Anderson match was surprisingly compelling given the two massive serves. Good luck in recovering from that one Kevin!

And closer to home, looks like Jack Draper could be one of those Brits who puts us through the mill. A sixteen-yr old up against an 18yr old and our boy comes through 7-6 6-7 19-17. Incredible too... but Draper sealed victory on his TENTH match point! But still wonderful tenacity to do that.

Dart and Clark weren't good enough against Jamie Murray and Azarenka... so good luck to Jamie in trying for his 6th grand slam title.

As compelling at the first semi-final was, this Djokovic-Nadal match is different class. A thing of beauty.

Will have to carry on tomorrow, so Anderson can take some solace that his fatigue isn't going to be a completely terminal disadvantage... but even so, I can't see him getting close to either of these two. It feels like this match is essentially for the Championship.

Coaching Staff
    As compelling at the first semi-final was, this Djokovic-Nadal match is different class. A thing of beauty.

Will have to carry on tomorrow, so Anderson can take some solace that his fatigue isn't going to be a completely terminal disadvantage... but even so, I can't see him getting close to either of these two. It feels like this match is essentially for the Championship.
    I didnt catch the other semi. Has Nadal found a cure yet to his perpetually itchy balls and backside.

Quote Originally Posted by portisheadpete View Post
    I didnt catch the other semi. Has Nadal found a cure yet to his perpetually itchy balls and backside.
    No, but with them enforcing the 25 second rule more rigidly now, he has to scratch quicker.

Great effort from Jack Draper on the Red Button or bbc website now.

The lad he's up against is also only 16 and yet is ranked in the top 400 in men's tennis, and has also won the French Open Boys' title without dropping a set... and got to the final here without dropping a set.

Draper got thrashed in the first set - looked overawed... but has upped his game superbly to take the second to a tie break... lost the first two points but then rattled off seven in a row... Final set to come.

More interesting than the men's final to me!