Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: The Tennis Thread 2018

  1. #1
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,394

    The Tennis Thread 2018

    Good idea, I think, to have a single thread for this topic rather than one (very) small thread for the occasional big tournament.

    Wanted to start by pointing out how Kyle Edmund is doing... he is now certain to break into the top 20 next week, having beaten Djokovic in Madrid and backed it up by knocking out Gofin, the world number 10, in the 3rd round. Kyle seems to like clay - looking forward to seeing how he does at the French next month. In fact, it's not completely impossible for him to climb the rankings far enough to get a top 16 seeding, which should be very helpful in the draw.

    With tennis players blooming later nowadays, at 23, Kyle Edmund only has only one younger player above him in the world rankings, and he's the world's fourth best player under the age of 25.

    Keep an eye out for him.

  2. #2
    Assistant Manager Sepp Blatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sparta, Greece
    Posts
    5,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    Good idea, I think, to have a single thread for this topic rather than one (very) small thread for the occasional big tournament.

    Wanted to start by pointing out how Kyle Edmund is doing... he is now certain to break into the top 20 next week, having beaten Djokovic in Madrid and backed it up by knocking out Gofin, the world number 10, in the 3rd round. Kyle seems to like clay - looking forward to seeing how he does at the French next month. In fact, it's not completely impossible for him to climb the rankings far enough to get a top 16 seeding, which should be very helpful in the draw.

    With tennis players blooming later nowadays, at 23, Kyle Edmund only has only one younger player above him in the world rankings, and he's the world's fourth best player under the age of 25.

    Keep an eye out for him.
    Tennis has never been a particularly popular sport here, but a few more people are taking note now that Stefanos Tsitsipas is showing promise. Only 19, but steadily moving up the rankings and reaching finals.

  3. #3
    Manager Ando60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Euxton
    Posts
    17,499
    I am going to Wimbledon this year for the first time ever...... I am not a massive tennis fan , but my wife and i have taken a conscious decision to go to a few sporting events that we have never previously attended - Tennis, Rugby League, Greyhound racing, Horse racing.................

    We entered the ballot last November and have been drawn out to attend Wimbledon on the first day ( July 2nd ) on court one... should be a good experience !

  4. #4
    Director raefil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    64,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando60 View Post
    I am going to Wimbledon this year for the first time ever...... I am not a massive tennis fan , but my wife and i have taken a conscious decision to go to a few sporting events that we have never previously attended - Tennis, Rugby League, Greyhound racing, Horse racing.................

    We entered the ballot last November and have been drawn out to attend Wimbledon on the first day ( July 2nd ) on court one... should be a good experience !
    Sounds a good idea, would love to do wimbledon one year. Did the Grand national a few years ago, glad I did but wont again. Did the open at royal Lytham St Annes, that was a tiring but brilliant day. Went to a Wigan RL match, thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed that one and have been a few times since.
    change has never been gifted from above, it has always been fought for by people demanding it.

  5. #5
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Ando60 View Post
    I am going to Wimbledon this year for the first time ever...... I am not a massive tennis fan , but my wife and i have taken a conscious decision to go to a few sporting events that we have never previously attended - Tennis, Rugby League, Greyhound racing, Horse racing.................

    We entered the ballot last November and have been drawn out to attend Wimbledon on the first day ( July 2nd ) on court one... should be a good experience !
    That's brilliant Ando, you lucky git! I'll be amazed if you don't love it! Take a bit of time out of court to wander around the other outside courts - on day one there should be some fairly big names out there and it's amazing how close you can get to the action. Even a match between two players you've never heard of is amazing.

    Good win for Edmund again tonight against world no 16. He's a bit unfortunate to face Zerev in the last 16 now... but if he happened to win, he'll probably climb the rankings further... maybe scrape into the top 16 himself.

  6. #6
    Manager Ando60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Euxton
    Posts
    17,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    That's brilliant Ando, you lucky git! I'll be amazed if you don't love it! Take a bit of time out of court to wander around the other outside courts - on day one there should be some fairly big names out there and it's amazing how close you can get to the action. Even a match between two players you've never heard of is amazing.

    Good win for Edmund again tonight against world no 16. He's a bit unfortunate to face Zerev in the last 16 now... but if he happened to win, he'll probably climb the rankings further... maybe scrape into the top 16 himself.
    Cheers Regardless.... Thanks for the tips.

    I am definitely looking forward to strolling around the " Out Courts "

  7. #7
    Manager Ando60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Euxton
    Posts
    17,499
    Zerev is giving Nadal a real test in the final....

    It s currently one set all and Zerev leads in the 3rd.....

  8. #8
    Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bishop's Stortford
    Posts
    8,598
    Nearly time for Wimbledon then.

    Itís great Ando.

    First time I went, it was the first day and about 85 degrees. Play went on until about half 9 and youíre more or less sat next to the players on the outside courts.

    Konta continues to fail to endear herself the the great British public. I find her service routine to be nigh on unwatchable.

    Have had the warm up tournaments on whilst iíve been working from home recently.

    I trust Mrs Ando doesnít object to womenís doubles?

  9. #9
    Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bishop's Stortford
    Posts
    8,598
    Goerges v Puig will be worth a watch Ando - scheduled for about 6pm on Court 18.

  10. #10
    Manager Regardless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,394
    How did you enjoy Wimbledon Ando?

    Just watching Katie Boulter on TV now, up against Osaka, the 18th seed. Katie has been making great strides amongst a little clutch of British girls who got into or near the top 200.

    She's playing some super stuff at times but not quite steady/consistent enough and just lost the first set 6-3. Hopefully early nerves (which took her to 0-3 at the start) that can be overcome to provide more of a threat.

    Boulter looks like she's heading for top 50 for sure... then who knows?... would not shock me to see her in the top 20 in a couple of years. In fact, as a 21-yr-old, if you filter out all players >22yrs, she's 16th ranked in the world - and we have three other girls in the list of "under 22 yr olds" in the world, so hopefully at least one of those four young players can really kick on as they mature... my guess is either Boulter or maybe Taylor.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •