Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ikea pulls out of Cuerden site

Quote Originally Posted by edgy View Post
    That is a fair point !!
    Joking apart
    I do get frustrated when I see a town or are we a city ?? With such amazing potential that just isn't exploited
    I think the new market development is excellent, looking at the plans for the shankly hotel gives me hope too.

Its slow but I think were moving in the right direction. The Adelphi quarter plans look likely to, aesthetically, vastly improve that area too

Assistant Manager
    Article is almost two years old. I think Kendrick sums it up at the end, who would sanction the spend of billions of pounds on facilities that are already there.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc373 View Post
    Article is almost two years old. I think Kendrick sums it up at the end, who would sanction the spend of billions of pounds on facilities that are already there.
    Iím sure things like this take more than a couple of years to come to fruition.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc373 View Post
    A very wise person
    Spend a week on a ward in the main hospital and decide if the facilities that as you put it are already there are fit for purpose
    You can have a car that is already there and on that principle not replace it but if the MOT failure is beyond economic repair to get the car working again then the only option if want to drive is buy another car that is fit for purpose ?

Quote Originally Posted by raefil View Post
    I think the new market development is excellent, looking at the plans for the shankly hotel gives me hope too.

Its slow but I think were moving in the right direction. The Adelphi quarter plans look likely to, aesthetically, vastly improve that area too
    Totally agree that the Town is really starting to look good with lots of new developments....

Im just not sure about the name of the new hotel though - why not name it after Harris given where it is going to be sited ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ando60 View Post
    Totally agree that the Town is really starting to look good with lots of new developments....

Im just not sure about the name of the new hotel though - why not name it after Harris given where it is going to be sited ?
    The hotel owners are from Liverpool and are Liverpool fans. I know Shanks played for us hundreds of times and helped win our last major trophy but the name is not one associated with the city of Preston or tbh not one you'd name a hotel after.

Youth Team
    Apparently IKEA have announced a fall in their profits of c.40%. The Cuerden store would have been their second largest in the UK. Given that the fall in profits was in part down to an expansion in their number of stores in 2017/18, and the worsening state of the traditional retail sector, they are obviously rethinking their strategy. They are apparently considering opening Argos-style click-and-collect stores in town and city centres as an alternative.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew's Ghost View Post
    Apparently IKEA have announced a fall in their profits of c.40%. The Cuerden store would have been their second largest in the UK. Given that the fall in profits was in part down to an expansion in their number of stores in 2017/18, and the worsening state of the traditional retail sector, they are obviously rethinking their strategy. They are apparently considering opening Argos-style click-and-collect stores in town and city centres as an alternative.
    Will these stores still offer the meatballs?