Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: View from Oxford

Quote Originally Posted by sports rehab View Post
    the squad wasnt dissatisfied until their first group meeting with the new manager GW - and those present in it know why - and though we had dross that should have gone, Grezza and Unsworth were starting to build something new but were only given a month to do it.....possibly had Ridders come in 6 months earlier as someone suggests he wouldnt have insisted on Westley and given GRezza until the summer, whcih was TH' preferred option.

Had GW been a success everywhere else then he would have a defence for his 'management style' but he has failed everywhere since....

Still, had Sir Tom become player manager the 60's might have been a great decade and the rest history....
    You try too hard...

RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Quote Originally Posted by sedgwick__7 View Post
    Just the 50k on Johnson, who was without doubt a catalyst for our promotion following a horrendous January spell of form. He may end up making us some decent money this summer too although I'd rather he signed on again. Underrated.
    Agree on both counts. I don't want to lose DJ just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    We paid about £85k-£90k for Procter from memory.

Mad how much money Westley spunked on small fees and signing on fees.

About £500k on Chris Robertson, Cummins and Beavon, all those free transfers like Cansdell-Sherriff, Byrom & Mousinho too.

Complete luck that we ended up with a few decent ones.

How much did Grayson spend in League One in terms of actual transfer fees?
    Bang on, sf.

I like posts like these as it presents the Westley sympathisers with factual evidence of how hair-raisingly clueless Westley was, and how good Grayson was by comparison.

To be fair, the majority of this forum (not myself) were rabid over the signing of Beavon who to myself, was a one season fluked wonder and thus proved to be so.

I was quite scathing of him on a consistent basis, to the extent that I bet Neal Robhead £5 with regards his lack of scoring ability which I duly won! Neal, to be fair, paid up. I bought him a pint with the £5.
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Manager
    Beavon was a really tidy player, I enjoyed watching him, but regular goalscorer he was not.

He was surrounded by some proper dross though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    To be fair, the majority of this forum (not myself) were rabid over the signing of Beavon who to myself, was a one season fluked wonder and thus proved to be so.

I was quite scathing of him on a consistent basis, to the extent that I bet Neal Robhead £5 with regards his lack of scoring ability which I duly won! Neal, to be fair, paid up. I bought him a pint with the £5.
    Beavon was a decent player - one of the few players who actually resembled something of a footballer during Westley's time here. Perhaps he would have proved slightly more prolific had he not had to rely on the likes of Joel Byrom and John Mousinho for service, and not been managed by an escapee from Ward 5.

When Grayson got here he became a bit part player, making way for Garner and SKD in the striking department and often having to make do with cameos out wide off the bench.

Hoping for a Chris Holroyd return if I’m honest. Westley was a charlatan - literally anybody could have done the job he did here (i.e. bomb off the old lot and sign shite for free). Actual embarrassment to the history of our club. He can take his AMITA mentality along with his polystyrene cups of tea and ram them.