Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Posts function

Preachs PA
    I get the same and itís kind of odd but I understand why it works. New post only shows new posts. Until someone else replies then you arenít a new poster on a thread. Will see if there is anything in vbulletin forums that changes it or allow forums to go back to previous way

Quote Originally Posted by jakehake View Post
    I get the same and it’s kind of odd but I understand why it works. New post only shows new posts. Until someone else replies then you aren’t a new poster on a thread. Will see if there is anything in vbulletin forums that changes it or allow forums to go back to previous way
    It's really hard to be 100% clear on what we all mean!

[edit... if you're interested in another observation... read right through to the end]

I think there is some logic that you go to the 'New Posts' function in order to see new posts... and you could argue that your own posts don't need to appear in the list because you should already know about them.

But I don't think it's good logic because all 'new posts' should appear - as it gives a clear view of which threads are active... so returning to the old way would be good.

I will add that there has always been some inconsistency with the New Posts function. Sometimes it shows only truly new posts (so if only 3 threads have been active in the last hour or two, then only 3 threads would appear on the list)¬Ö but you might press the same button again a few minutes later, and a much longer list appears, showing all threads that had been posted going back for several hours, or even a day.

But to be clear, the issue I'm (somewhat) concerned about is that this active thread I'm posting on right now, will probably disappear off the 'New Posts' list as soon as I submit this post... because my own posts no longer (usually) register on the New Posts list. That's not the end of the world, but it's not ideal as the list is not then a comprehensive list of currently active threads. Having said that... it is intermittent, and I'd guess that there's a 10-20% chance that I will actually be able to see my post registered at the top of the New Posts list! Sometimes it does, more often it doesn't. If it does this time, I'll edit to let you know.

Personally, I prefer the 'old' logic... that a new post is a new post.

EDIT.... On this occasion, my post did immediately appear at the top of the New Posts list! So I clicked on it so that I could edit it. BUT once I'd saved that change... I went back to the New Posts list... and the thread no longer appeared on the list (I mean not on the list at all... so your last post from 12.23am was not enough to register it on the 'New Posts' list. So in order for me to edit this again, I had to remember which forum it was in and go to that forum to find it. Like I said, not the end of the world, but for those of us that use the New Posts list as the main entry point into the forum (to me, easily the best way to do it!), it's not ideal.
    Last edited by Regardless; 15-06-2018 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    It can't be that JK... because sometimes my new posts appear on the New Posts list... sometimes they don't.

I've always used New Posts as my first port of call to access the forum and see what's new. What do you and others do? Go through each individual forum one by one - to see what's new? Seems a bit odd, unless you're only interested in one of the forums.
    Yep thatís what I have always done.

Admittedly I focus on the busier forums and scan the others of which I know other mods have always paid more of a focus.

As Jake states the new post functions now shows new posts from everyone and not just yourself, Iím don't think it can be changed back.
    Last edited by JK; 15-06-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Preachs PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    It's really hard to be 100% clear on what we all mean!

[edit... if you're interested in another observation... read right through to the end]

I think there is some logic that you go to the 'New Posts' function in order to see new posts... and you could argue that your own posts don't need to appear in the list because you should already know about them.

But I don't think it's good logic because all 'new posts' should appear - as it gives a clear view of which threads are active... so returning to the old way would be good.

I will add that there has always been some inconsistency with the New Posts function. Sometimes it shows only truly new posts (so if only 3 threads have been active in the last hour or two, then only 3 threads would appear on the list)¬Ö but you might press the same button again a few minutes later, and a much longer list appears, showing all threads that had been posted going back for several hours, or even a day.

But to be clear, the issue I'm (somewhat) concerned about is that this active thread I'm posting on right now, will probably disappear off the 'New Posts' list as soon as I submit this post... because my own posts no longer (usually) register on the New Posts list. That's not the end of the world, but it's not ideal as the list is not then a comprehensive list of currently active threads. Having said that... it is intermittent, and I'd guess that there's a 10-20% chance that I will actually be able to see my post registered at the top of the New Posts list! Sometimes it does, more often it doesn't. If it does this time, I'll edit to let you know.

Personally, I prefer the 'old' logic... that a new post is a new post.

EDIT.... On this occasion, my post did immediately appear at the top of the New Posts list! So I clicked on it so that I could edit it. BUT once I'd saved that change... I went back to the New Posts list... and the thread no longer appeared on the list (I mean not on the list at all... so your last post from 12.23am was not enough to register it on the 'New Posts' list. So in order for me to edit this again, I had to remember which forum it was in and go to that forum to find it. Like I said, not the end of the world, but for those of us that use the New Posts list as the main entry point into the forum (to me, easily the best way to do it!), it's not ideal.
    So I had a look and it is because vbulletin changed the way they track which threads you've read/posted on. Technically vbulletin have just fixed a flaw that wouldn't track you were the last poster/reader of the thread so the new behaviour is strictly correct as they track what you've read/posted via the database so there is no way around the logic now. There is no way back to the old functionality from this version of vbulletin. (For anyone wanting to understand the technicalities it's switched from using cookies to database, the slightly erratic results could just be the way the server handles caching of data but wont make a massive difference to what you see)

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...grade-to-4-2-4

Well done jake! Good to have an explanation (although I'm not reading the details!)

Quote Originally Posted by preach View Post
    Just clonk it with a hammer bud.
    That made me laugh.
    No wums please - low patience threshold