Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: England v Croatia

Same old same old for me. Not good enough when it mattered. Kane was not in the game tonight. Should have scored his chance in first half to put game to bed.

We've managed to get to the semi final of the World Cup without playing any top sides.

Reality check needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kbd_pne View Post
    Missed opportunity tonight without doubt. Missed great chances then didn’t compose ourselves when they equalised. Croatia’s experienced really showed and they have some outstanding technical players, including the ultimate big game player in Mandzukic. We showed very little creativity or quality once they had equalised and ultimately our lack of creativity in open play hindered us when chasing a game, which we hadn’t really had to do (not counting Belgium reserves game) so far.

However, overall you have to say the tournament has been a great success for England. Nobody would’ve thought that we’d reach extra time of a semi-final, and fhe manager and the way he goes about him, along with the honesty and integrity of the squad, has re-engaged the nation with the national team again.

There is some excellent young talent coming though below this young squad too, including in current weak spots in the team. For example, I reckon Ryan Sessegnon could be our LWB in Euros 2020. Jadon Sancho is a very exciting, creative, attacking talent playing at Dortmund in the Bundesliga. For once we come out of a tournament with the future looking quite bright for the national team.
    Yup - England didn't play badly at all tonight, but Croatia had the nous and killer instinct when needed. As the game went on, Modric started controlling the midfield.

Like you, I am not too downhearted considering where we were after Iceland. It reminds me of when Germany started rebuilding their team under Klinsmann and put in a good showing in Euro 2006 - you can see the potential in this team.

Assistant Manager
    Great performance from our 9 man team.

Ali and Lingard were totally missing, what position were they playing? They can’t defend, too weak in midfield and totally anonymous in attack, Ben Pearson would have been more effective.

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by wld View Post
    He always does, an excellent and knowledgeable pundit. Neville is the obstinate uncle of punditry who makes up his mind and won’t change it whatever evidence there is to the contrary, Dixon adds nothing to the party and (although a likeable bloke) Wright’s more or less a cheerleader.

One thing that wasn’t picked up on was the refereeing. Not the reason we lost but both tonight and last night there was a noticeable softening in the attitude towards cautions. Presumably an instruction from FIFA but why?
    I thought the ref was appalling, incredible how many things he got wrong. I can’t believe the first goal was allowed to stand, yellow or possibly red card anywhere else on the pitch

Assistant Manager northender0602's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wld View Post
    He always does, an excellent and knowledgeable pundit. Neville is the obstinate uncle of punditry who makes up his mind and won’t change it whatever evidence there is to the contrary, Dixon adds nothing to the party and (although a likeable bloke) Wright’s more or less a cheerleader.

One thing that wasn’t picked up on was the refereeing. Not the reason we lost but both tonight and last night there was a noticeable softening in the attitude towards cautions. Presumably an instruction from FIFA but why?
    I remember Keane commenting on Jo Hart a few years ago, basically said he was a dodgy keeper, I heard a bit of what he said at half time and I got worried.

On their equaliser was his foot not a bit high? Thought the ref was poor, booked Walker for keeping hold of the ball, but let Croatia get away with an almost identical trick. Croatia got what they deserved in the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius17 View Post
    I've just seen a pic of some of our ROI players celebrating the fact that we are out of the World Cup. What do you think about that?
    Hand on heart, were we disappointed Wales lost to Portugal?

First of all, I'm sure we'd all agree that pre tournament, if someone said you'll qualify from the group, win a penalty shootout, finally win a Quarter Final game, and lose in Semi Final with no excuses, we'd have taken it.

Opportunity lost I agree, but still the biggest achievement I can remember in my life time. I just hope we take Saturday seriously.

Transfer Target
    Quote Originally Posted by portisheadpete View Post
    I think theyve probably drunk more than me. Get over it and dont cause mischief. We need to get behind our players.
    Just disappointing. I would have supported them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius17 View Post
    Just disappointing. I would have supported them.
    Easy for us as we're mostly the better side. I've always been keen for home nations to do well. However as soon as I saw Wales celebrate us losing to Iceland, fuck em!

As soon as I saw Scotland celebrate drawing us in World Cup qualifier like they won World Cup, fuck em!

It must hurt them like mad that mostly as shit as we are, we do better than them..
    Last edited by norky84; 12-07-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Youth Team
    Quote Originally Posted by norky84 View Post
    Hand on heart, were we disappointed Wales lost to Portugal?
    I was, but only because I dislike Portugal so much.