Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No season ticket yet

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerb View Post
    The chances of us going up with only Maguire who can put the ball in the net are remote at best. The opportunity is there , we are in the best position we have been in for years, we need to invest, now is the time but unfortunately it looks like as ever we wont do it and we will go backwards, very sad but its been the case for donkeys years !!
    Maguire is the only player capable of getting 20 goals a season I agree - but you don't need more than one of these. Cardiff went up with a top scorer of 10 and he played out wide. Wolves had jota on 17 - next player got 12. Middlesborough's top scorer was 14 next was 10. Aston villa was 16 next was 10. Derby had vydra on 22, next on 9. Anyway you get my point.

Our main scorer is Maguire - he should (providing he stays fit) get 20 goals for us next season - he is certainly capable. Robinson, barky, harrop, browne are certainly capable of picking up 9/10 goals next season. As proven 5 of the top 6 sides last season didn't have a player who got over 20 goals although mitro would have done had he been at Fulham all season. There second only just go into double figures.

To improve, the player's mentality at certain points of the game need to improve. Browne missing the penalty/davies missing a big chance against shef Wednesday. That for me is down to experience and I don't care about a new striker. We will improve this season because we will have more experience. I've just proven that you don't need two big scorers in your side to reach the play offs or automatic. The reason these sides did better then us is because they had a better mentality in certain situations. I am confident that will change for this season.

Which star striker would you like us to buy, and what do you think their transfer fee and wages would be?

As gut wrenching as that 2005 West Ham defeat and subsequent failure to properly back King Billly was, it has no bearing on our current situation. We need to get over this lament.

The comparison with Burnley is a ludicrous one as they had already been in the Premier League twice when they spent big on Gray. They had also spent millions assembling the rest of their squad, not just the one striker.

Coaching Staff
    We have a £10 million striker.

We have a £15 million midfielder.

We have a £5 million defender.

Just because we didnít pay that for them doesnít mean we should go out and spend big on other players when it really isnít necessary. The club are clearly still trying to add 1/2 players and weíve already made a few first team signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishtar36 View Post

Just because we didnít pay that for them doesnít mean we should go out and spend big on other players when it really isnít necessary. The club are clearly still trying to add 1/2 players and weíve already made a few first team signings.
    That post was far too sensible for this forum

I am quite happy to go into the season as we currently are but hopefully minus the deadwood 5. Leaves some room then for any January incomings.
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Quote Originally Posted by flippinheck View Post
    Players will be leaving . We also receive a lot more money from TV this season .
    Got the figures for that?

I've renewed my season ticket.

There's enough exciting or new players at the club as it stands. Yes a striker would top it off but equally show your financial support and we might have more reason to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ian Bogie - Preston North End Director

Substitute
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishtar36 View Post

Just because we didn’t pay that for them doesn’t mean we should go out and spend big on other players when it really isn’t necessary. The club are clearly still trying to add 1/2 players and we’ve already made a few first team signings.
    Spot on, anyone who thinks we can compete with the 'big spenders' are deluded. Villa were paying £40-50k a week on player salaries last season and look where that got them. I'd like to hear from those who would like us to spend more, how much do they think we should spend. Forget, transfer fees, they are virtually irrelevant, as it would be feasible to build a squad of free transfers and loans that would win the league if you were prepared to pay high enough wages. So how much should we be prepared to pay, bearing in mind that you would destroy team spirit if the whole squad isn't on similar money.
    Last edited by Town_ender; 15-07-2018 at 11:46 PM.