Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123
Results 1,221 to 1,227 of 1227

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by marsbars View Post
    I remember hearing they were making a TV series after I'd read a few of the books and thinking there's no way they could capture all that detail on film. I was utterly wrong. It's absolutely bloody amazing.
    I haven’t read any of the books but the TV series is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Most films/TV series have flaws, but with GoT there’s virtually nothing to be negative about.

I actually missed the first 2 series, when if first came out my first reaction was what a load of bull. A couple of mates persuaded me to give it a chance so I started watching from the beginning and I was hooked after 3 or 4 episodes.

First Team
    Really? I haven't read any of the books past the 4th or 5th but series 6 and 7 on TV were fanbloodytastic Manc.
    I'm not disagreeing with you there, they are fantastic entertainment. As far as I'm concerned though it's a different show now.

Early seasons, based on the source material, were character driven. The main attraction was the interaction between the amazing characters we had, and the plot advanced based on how these characters acted.

Later seasons are more like Lord of the Rings in my opinion. We have this epic, fantasy plot which is massive fun to watch and I still love the show. However, it is now plot driven. The cast of main characters has been drastically cut, and now they're along with us for the ride. Individual characters are no longer the main focus of the show, the threat of the Walkers is the main theme.

Since the show overran the source material the style of writing and story telling has drastically changed. Some say for the better, as we now have a more focused plot, fewer pointless side stories as we have in the later books and thanks to the big budget it now enjoys, the production value has skyrocketed. In my opinion though, its original draw was the character driven plot, and the way they developed in a complex and believable way. The interactions between them took centre stage as events unfurled around them. Now the characters have taken a back seat as the epic story unfolds.

It's still a great watch, and it has me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Can't wait for the final season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian White View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you there, they are fantastic entertainment. As far as I'm concerned though it's a different show now.

Early seasons, based on the source material, were character driven. The main attraction was the interaction between the amazing characters we had, and the plot advanced based on how these characters acted.

Later seasons are more like Lord of the Rings in my opinion. We have this epic, fantasy plot which is massive fun to watch and I still love the show. However, it is now plot driven. The cast of main characters has been drastically cut, and now they're along with us for the ride. Individual characters are no longer the main focus of the show, the threat of the Walkers is the main theme.

Since the show overran the source material the style of writing and story telling has drastically changed. Some say for the better, as we now have a more focused plot, fewer pointless side stories as we have in the later books and thanks to the big budget it now enjoys, the production value has skyrocketed. In my opinion though, its original draw was the character driven plot, and the way they developed in a complex and believable way. The interactions between them took centre stage as events unfurled around them. Now the characters have taken a back seat as the epic story unfolds.

It's still a great watch, and it has me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Can't wait for the final season.
    You've obviously thought about this a tad more than I have tbh! However, isn't the progression towards 'the main theme' as you call it not exactly what was planned i.e. all the sub plots and character progression unravelling towards the finale? Eventual falling into place if you like?
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

First Team
    You've obviously thought about this a tad more than I have tbh! However, isn't the progression towards 'the main theme' as you call it not exactly what was planned i.e. all the sub plots and character progression unravelling towards the finale? Eventual falling into place if you like?
    Yeah I definitely think it's an intentional change in focus that will happen to a lesser extent if the books are finished. The transition from am almost political drama to high fantasy action was inevitable and has changed the show massively.

It's still an amazing watch but a big part of it is that the showrunners have been forced to rush towards a climax, cutting out "unnecessary" characters which the books won't be forced to do. We've instead been given a much more focused story which has translated very well to the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian White View Post
    Yeah I definitely think it's an intentional change in focus that will happen to a lesser extent if the books are finished. The transition from am almost political drama to high fantasy action was inevitable and has changed the show massively.

It's still an amazing watch but a big part of it is that the showrunners have been forced to rush towards a climax, cutting out "unnecessary" characters which the books won't be forced to do. We've instead been given a much more focused story which has translated very well to the screen.
    Are we ahead of the books on TV now?
    Alex Neil “This club has had a certain style for four years and I’m trying to change that and the style I want to play is the complete opposite to that.”

First Team
    Are we ahead of the books on TV now?
    Miles ahead. The most recent book, dance with dragons, ran up to the season 5 finale if I recall correctly.

Assistant Manager
    Our mate has been asked to the HBO wrap party tomorrow night.

I think he has a scene with Jaime Lannister and he got measured for what will be some CGI rowers apparently. He's a big lad.