Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Guild Wheel - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Bhagwan H View Post
    Not sure whether there are any pubs on route, but I think all 3 pubs are open in Rib-Rib Arms, Black Bull and White Bull, but I'm not entirely sure. Two are deffo open as I pass through Rib on my way home from work.
    Didn't think there'd be any on The Ribble Way. I've never seen that section of the river before so should be interesting. Would've loved to of taken part in the raft race back in the day, i think that started in Ribchester?

In a village full of idiots who will never understand!
    White Bull in Rib as the best ales on - last time were there it had.

Are you sure you can walk along the river to Rib without having to do a lot of detours?

Quote Originally Posted by WFG View Post
    White Bull in Rib as the best ales on - last time were there it had.

Are you sure you can walk along the river to Rib without having to do a lot of detours?
    There are a lot of detours but it all looks quite picturesque. The section from Ribchester to Clitheroe looks better as it seems to follow the riverbank most of the way. Been looking at the White Bull, looks like a decent place to have sommat to eat as well.

Took bikes to Lytham yesterday. Set off from the front near to Royal Lytham and St Annes Golf Club and cycled all the way up to Fleetwood and back. It's a nice flat run and lovely if weather is good. It's just over 30 miles. There's a lot of cycle paths along the way, with a little road exposure.

I'm thinking of doing the Reedley Marina canal towpath, which is about 20 miles there and back. Has anyone done this ride?

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Noticed The Ribble Way branches off The Guild Wheel at Brockholes. Been thinking about getting on The Wheel at the docks and walking to Ribchester, i'd imagine there is some nice scenery once you get past Brockholes. Anyone know if there are any pubs en route or recommend any in Ribchester?
    i parked at the crematorium and walked the ribbleway to ribchester and back last year,no pubs until you get to ribchester,the walk is fields country lanes and farm tracks their is a good apple tree near a farm house tasty apples,you hardly see the river ribble,i have also walked the ribbleway in the yorkshire dales,parked at horton in ribblesdale
    when i was young i had no sense
    i brought a flute for 50 pence
    the only tune i could play
    was fuck the P_ _ _ and the I_ _

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Didn't think there'd be any on The Ribble Way. I've never seen that section of the river before so should be interesting. Would've loved to of taken part in the raft race back in the day, i think that started in Ribchester?

I did he raft race in 1988 (I think) started at Balderstone.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by pneveg View Post
    i parked at the crematorium and walked the ribbleway to ribchester and back last year,no pubs until you get to ribchester,the walk is fields country lanes and farm tracks their is a good apple tree near a farm house tasty apples,you hardly see the river ribble,i have also walked the ribbleway in the yorkshire dales,parked at horton in ribblesdale
    Yep, WFG said much the same, i had a look at the route and Ribchester to Clitheroe looks a better bet as it seems to follow the path of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    I did he raft race in 1988 (I think) started at Balderstone.
    That rings a bell, wasn't sure if it was Ribchester or not.

What are they going to do with the wheel were it crosses the new Broughton bypass? I imagine a bridge is out ouf the question , but won't a pelican crossing copletely slow down and back up the traffic flow.

I cycled it today and it's still a superb experience. Some bits need sprucing up though, hedges cutting back and thelike. Some of the signs are now completely obscured by bushes, shrubs and trees.

On a side note: Is the Ribble link still used? Thats's another great local facility that seems to becoming neglected. In some places the waterway is now only about 3 feet wide due to the overgrowth. Mind you, I've never yet seen a single boat on that strech of water on the countless times I've done the guild Wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrys Cat View Post
    What are they going to do with the wheel were it crosses the new Broughton bypass? I imagine a bridge is out ouf the question , but won't a pelican crossing copletely slow down and back up the traffic flow.

I cycled it today and it's still a superb experience. Some bits need sprucing up though, hedges cutting back and thelike. Some of the signs are now completely obscured by bushes, shrubs and trees.

On a side note: Is the Ribble link still used? Thats's another great local facility that seems to becoming neglected. In some places the waterway is now only about 3 feet wide due to the overgrowth. Mind you, I've never yet seen a single boat on that strech of water on the countless times I've done the guild Wheel.
    They seem to be setting up a purpose built cycle path on D'urton Lane, where the by-pass will cross but a pelican crossing is the most likely option, although it's not likely that it'll be used every two minutes so shouldn't have that much of an impact on traffic. I take it that the by-pass will join Eastway via the new housing estate where the roundabout has been built at Longfield, rather than join Eastway with the roundabout at Broughton Tower Way. If it uses the latter then it will be a death trap because there's blind bends on D'urton Lane and dickheads will be wanting to do at least 40 round them so that they don't lose any momentum between Eastway and the by-pass.
    Jillhad - a peaceful and tolerant fight back

Quote Originally Posted by princeinpieces View Post
    They seem to be setting up a purpose built cycle path on D'urton Lane, where the by-pass will cross but a pelican crossing is the most likely option, although it's not likely that it'll be used every two minutes so shouldn't have that much of an impact on traffic. I take it that the by-pass will join Eastway via the new housing estate where the roundabout has been built at Longfield, rather than join Eastway with the roundabout at Broughton Tower Way. If it uses the latter then it will be a death trap because there's blind bends on D'urton Lane and dickheads will be wanting to do at least 40 round them so that they don't lose any momentum between Eastway and the by-pass.
    The original plans I saw showed D'urton lane permanently closed at the A6 end for exactly the reasons you suggest?