Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: New pub for Preston?

Assistant Manager northender0602's Avatar
    If Punch Taverns have any brains, they will listen to his ideas, because they haven't actually made a decent go of it, some of these chains need to realise that one size does not fit all, some pubs are just unique and need to be kept that way.

Quote Originally Posted by northender0602 View Post
    If Punch Taverns have any brains, they will listen to his ideas, because they haven't actually made a decent go of it, some of these chains need to realise that one size does not fit all, some pubs are just unique and need to be kept that way.
    Spot on. Generic eateries have their place and bar Spoons it's rarely in the middle of a town or city.

Punch (Marston's) took a pub with a niche customer base and thought it could attract a whole new clientele with food and IKEA furniture whilst keeping the regulars happy. The end result was the regulars hated the new look and new customers weren't won over by expensive pubco beer and average food.

Surprisingly Heineken then did exactly the same with the Market Tavern and The Stanley. The MT has shut and I believe it's only the Friday/Saturday soul nights keeping the Stanley going.

Both Dog & Partridge and Market Tavern were open again yesterday. Had a peer through the window of the former and saw Doombar, Trooper and Lancaster Bomber on cask (no thanks!) but it did look quite busy.

The Market Tavern has been taken over by..... Jeremy from the Conti/Ferret/Plau/Plungington. It seems Heineken rang and almost begged him to take over after his success with the Plungy Hotel and he couldn't resist. He's already trying to extend the beer range using the outer reaches of the permitted 'SIBA' list with ales in from Phoenix, Jennings, Youngs and Mallisons and I assume he will try to negotiate a deal with the owners over getting beer from any brewery he likes.

Who knows where this leaves Plau especially as it's rumoured the Ferret isn't far from closing (it already does on Sundays) due to a combination of poor gig attendances and a drop in food orders. The latter is apparently due to a change in kitchen staff and a number of places in town doing the same style of food (Wings & Beer, We Don't Give A Fork, Iceberg, Solita etc).

Assistant Manager northender0602's Avatar
    looks like the Market Tavern has been spared http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2018/01...amiliar-faces/

Assistant Manager
    10 keg lines at the Orchard, expect that it'll be the likes of Cloudwater and so on? Wondered if they may put 1-2 cask ale pumps in but with the GAH across the road I suppose why bother.

One of the city’s most popular pubs is to launch a new venture within Preston Market.

The Orchard will be a craft ale bar within the new £4million covered market.

Owner of the Guild Ale House, Gary Quinn, and his partner Jane Briscoe, have decided to take on one of the new units within the market hall.

It will have ten keg lines and aims to build on the success of the Lancaster Road based pub which has attracted a cult following with its focus on local and small breweries.

Gary said: “We wanted to open something which would compliment the Ale House rather than compete with it.

“It retains our ethos of dealing with small micro-breweries and we’ll also use it as a chance to expand the types of drinks we do.

“Gin is still a big thing and I think rum is going to expand in the next 12 to 18 months.”

Gary and Jane have applied for an alcohol licence for The Orchard.

If granted it would allow the bar to operate from 11am to 1am each day.

Gary said: “We picked the name The Orchard as the area used to be an orchard, and so it retains an identify with the markets area.

“The bar will be the first glass-fronted corner unit you see as you walk down Earl Street from the Ale House.

“This means we have our own door so can trade even after the main market has closed for the day.”

The Orchard is expected to have space for around 30 drinkers at a time.

Preston’s new market hall, which is under the main covered market, will be opening on Monday 12 February.

It replaces the current Indoor Market which is due to be demolished and replaced with a £50million cinema and restaurant complex.

Gary said: “I think the new market is looking fantastic and we’re really pleased to be a part of it.

“I just hope the people of Preston embrace it and it is a success.”
    http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2018/01...ns-new-market/

Quote Originally Posted by sedgwick__7 View Post
    10 keg lines at the Orchard, expect that it'll be the likes of Cloudwater and so on? Wondered if they may put 1-2 cask ale pumps in but with the GAH across the road I suppose why bother.

http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2018/01...ns-new-market/
    Reckon there could be one or two cask with ale from the more modern breweries but as you said, he won't want to take business away from the GAH which is very much cask orientated.

Manager
    Seems to have gone quiet on that new micropub on Lune Street.

Plau also looking on the ropes, they were asking for investors on Facebook last week.

The Orchard will do well I think.

Youth Team
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post

Plau also looking on the ropes, they were asking for investors on Facebook last week.

There wasn't anything on the Plau's FB page about that.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew's Ghost View Post
    There wasn't anything on the Plau's FB page about that.
    Twitter, sorry.

https://twitter.com/plaubar?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post

They must have heard you re the Lune Street bar https://www.lep.co.uk/news/business/...ntre-1-9007142.

As for Plau unfortunately it's hardly shock. Done it all completely wrong and after four years still doesn't have anything to show for it. Since then he's taken over two other pubs!