Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: New pub for Preston?

Quote Originally Posted by pepe84 View Post
    hi, 2 friends and I will attend the match vs Brighton . Could you give us any advice where to hang around before the match for having a beer. Any pubs we should visit ? We re coming over from Germany.
    Guild Ale House & Moorbrook are the best two in town. Both do German pilsner and wheat beer if you don't fancy any of the cask/craft ales.

Transfer Target
    thanks a lot for the answers. moorbrook looks promising , think we will try it and some other pubs on the way.
    german beer is not so interesting for us, because its available all year for us ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by pepe84 View Post
    thanks a lot for the answers. moorbrook looks promising , think we will try it and some other pubs on the way.
    german beer is not so interesting for us, because its available all year for us ^^.
    Ha ha, fair enough. English ale wise the Guild Ale House (PR1 1DD) have six cask pumps and three keg taps as well as a fridge full of craft cans and bottles whilst The Moorbrook (PR1 1NR) has seven cask pumps and five keg taps and their current line up is excellent.

Went to Brown Hare in Penwortham last night. Better to have a meal there instead of going in for a casual drink. Decent ale, bit dear though.
    'Say goodbye to the pain of the past. Say hello to the championship. It's his day it's Preston's day'

A tad quiet on the Preston pub front at the moment but being January this isn't a surprise.

Plau on Friargate are still 'plauing' along trying to get the place open as soon as possible. February was the last time mentioned and it seems to be on course (that is until they find the corpse of Alfred the Great buried underneath there).

The Ale Emporium next to the Ferret is up for sale and the current occupants will be moving out soonish due to personal reasons. A shame as the beer there has always been good but the place has been frighteningly quiet when I've been in, even on a Friday/Saturday night.

The Guild Ale House has now opened the 'Guild Lounge' upstairs to give the place much needed space and extra seating. The room is available for hire as a function room or meeting place but will not be having a bar installed. Meanwhile Gary's bottled beer range has gone from from strength to strength with some impressive new arrivals.

The Black Horse, who recently lost it's landlord to the nearby Market Tavern, is now under new management and with it the guest ales have returned (unusual for a Robinson's pub). The Market Tavern, despite an extensive refurb by owners Heineken, is still pants with beer from the usual boring Heinenken list. I've been in twice and both times been the only person in there bar the staff.

Meanwhile in Chorley the 234th micropub has opened in the town centre. 'Speakeasy' which is owned by the people who run 'Bootleggers' is on Chapel Street along with Ale Station, Shepherd's Hall Ale House and the ever improving Crown Hotel. As mentioned before Chorley really has become a great place for beer with the Malt & Hops and Bob Inn joining the aforementioned venues in providing a varied and well kept range of cask and keg. Latch, a micro cocktail bar, provides something a bit different if you do wish.

A micro cocktail bar? I want a massive cocktail if anything, matron...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ian Bogie - Preston North End Director

Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville View Post

Meanwhile in Chorley the 234th micropub has opened in the town centre. 'Speakeasy' which is owned by the people who run 'Bootleggers' is on Chapel Street along with Ale Station, Shepherd's Hall Ale House and the ever improving Crown Hotel. As mentioned before Chorley really has become a great place for beer with the Malt & Hops and Bob Inn joining the aforementioned venues in providing a varied and well kept range of cask and keg. Latch, a micro cocktail bar, provides something a bit different if you do wish.
    It's actually a rather great night out down that little road in Chorley near the station. I tried it out between Christmas and new year and couldn't believe I was in Chorley, not been out in Chorley for nearly 10 years besides for Chorley live.

Last train back to Preston too only sets off at 00.05.
    Bill Hicks was right about everything.

Manager
    The Black Horse, who recently lost it's landlord to the nearby Market Tavern, is now under new management and with it the guest ales have returned (unusual for a Robinson's pub).
    Stupidly expensive the last time I went in there (Decemberish) and the bar man/ possibly the landlord was a complete arse.

10 for a pint of Straropramen and a glass of wine in a Preston pub next door to Wilkinsons...

Won't be going back any time soon.

The Black Horse, who recently lost it's landlord to the nearby Market Tavern, is now under new management and with it the guest ales have returned (unusual for a Robinson's pub). The Market Tavern, despite an extensive refurb by owners Heineken, is still pants with beer from the usual boring Heinenken list. I've been in twice and both times been the only person in there bar the staff.
    He's now fallen out with the pubco and handed in his 3 month notice to quit according to the latest CAMRA Central Lancs newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by shabbagaz View Post
    He's now fallen out with the pubco and handed in his 3 month notice to quit according to the latest CAMRA Central Lancs newsletter.
    Dear oh dear that was quick. Seems the grass wasn't greener on the other side! He had a good and rare deal with Robinson's at The Black Horse with being able to bring in other brewery's ale but seems he wanted more (which baffles me as to why he went for a Heinenken owned place).

As for the prices in The Black Horse that doesn't surprise me unfortunately. Bar the cask which is 3-4 a pint the prices have always been a bit steep for Preston and seemingly have got steeper!