Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Thread: New pub for Preston?

Rumours The Sumners has closed permanently tonight. Owners have sold it for housing after plans to refurb/revive it fell through.

Can't say it hasn't been coming but still disappointing a pub with such history has gone. Even with a refurb I couldn't see the place making a profit non-matchdays.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville View Post
    Rumours The Sumners has closed permanently tonight. Owners have sold it for housing after plans to refurb/revive it fell through.

Can't say it hasn't been coming but still disappointing a pub with such history has gone. Even with a refurb I couldn't see the place making a profit non-matchdays.
    Most people wouldn't like but shame hungry horse didn't pick it up.

I could imagine one of them doing well there or a Harvester.
    Bill Hicks was right about everything.

In a village full of idiots who will never understand!
    Use them, or lose them...

Quote Originally Posted by WFG View Post
    Is it that simple?

Brewery run em into the ground, spend bugger all maintaining the gaff and pay shit wages for landlords. Corporate greed has to be a factor.

Sumners used to be one of the places to be, was always rammed on match days.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Manson View Post
    Most people wouldn't like but shame hungry horse didn't pick it up.

I could imagine one of them doing well there or a Harvester.
    Tbh if it meant saving the place I'd be all for it. Not my thing but would keep the place open and people in jobs. However looking at the demographic around there you've got a mixture of those who wouldn't visit a Harvester/HH to the north west (Fulwood) and those that would never set foot in a pub full stop to the south (Deepdale). That leaves those to the North East opposite the barracks and up towards Brookfield and beyond. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    Is it that simple?

Brewery run em into the ground, spend bugger all maintaining the gaff and pay shit wages for landlords. Corporate greed has to be a factor.

Sumners used to be one of the places to be, was always rammed on match days.
    The only big pubco owned places that do well nowadays are those that sell (cheap) food. If you look at the pubco places in town that don't do food The Old Black Bull (Greene King) is struggling, The Dog & Partridge (Marston's) can't find a new landlord, The Market Tavern (Heineken) was taken over by The Conti group and is still only just managing to stay open and The Hearts of Oak (Inns & Leisure) despite a refurb and name change lasted three months before the new leaseholder walked out.

Because they don't do food they have to rely on selling beer and in that field places like The Guild Ale House, Orchard, The Moorbrook etc out do them quality wise and the Greyfriar, TT, Yates etc out do them on price. This means landlords/leaseholders don't make any profit to add to their, as Nobber put it, shit wages.

However what WFG says also rings true. Preston has many great beer places now but they don't pay for themselves. Use them or lose them!

Quote Originally Posted by WFG View Post
    On the yearly ten pub (was 11 last year, I was still standing and somehow, no hangover the next day) crawl this Saturday celebrating 2 birthdays.

30 minutes max in each pub.

Black Horse
    Wetherspoons
    Old Black Bull
    D&P
    New Brit
    Roper
    Sun Inn
    Adelphi
    Ship n Giggles
    Ferret

Maybe a sneaky one back at the D&P as it is serving till 0130am. That was the 11th.
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    On the yearly ten pub (was 11 last year, I was still standing and somehow, no hangover the next day) crawl this Saturday celebrating 2 birthdays.

30 minutes max in each pub.

Black Horse
    Wetherspoons
    Old Black Bull
    D&P
    New Brit
    Roper
    Sun Inn
    Adelphi
    Ship n Giggles
    Ferret

Maybe a sneaky one back at the D&P as it is serving till 0130am. That was the 11th.
    Drinking halves helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Drinking halves helps...
    Cheeky twat! Pints all the way apart from pub #1 and pub #11 when I hit the JDs.

Last year, I overslept so was in the Black Horse by myself.....a quick JD Coke and a photo as evidence... legged it to Wetherspoons and I had 5 minutes to order a Cider and sup it... fair to say that 1/2 a pint into my cider at Old Black Bull (#3), I fully burped!
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    Cheeky twat! Pints all the way apart from pub #1 and pub #11 when I hit the JDs.

Last year, I overslept so was in the Black Horse by myself.....a quick JD Coke and a photo as evidence... legged it to Wetherspoons and I had 5 minutes to order a Cider and sup it... fair to say that 1/2 a pint into my cider at Old Black Bull (#3), I fully burped!
    Ha Ha, that'll teach you to set the alarm clock
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.