Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Broughton By Pass

Quote Originally Posted by kbd_pne View Post
    3 months on, the bypass has taken a lot of the traffic out of Broughton village (which is good), but problems seem to have cropped up elsewhere.

It often takes 45 minutes to get from Fulwood to the Broughton motorway roundabout, and Eastway is packed at both rush hours.
    Taking me 20 minutes to get from the Plungy Hotel roundabout to the M55 in the morning due to the solid traffic on the A6 toward Broughton roundabout. If you don't get past it by 07:20 then it's at least a 15 minute wait.

Assistant Manager
    I love it. I leave for work early so have never had a problem in the morning with traffic, however it saves me 20-30 minutes every night coming home.

Quote Originally Posted by kbd_pne View Post
    3 months on, the bypass has taken a lot of the traffic out of Broughton village (which is good), but problems seem to have cropped up elsewhere.

It often takes 45 minutes to get from Fulwood to the Broughton motorway roundabout, and Eastway is packed at both rush hours.
    At peak times, all the by-pass has done is simply move the bottleneck a mile or saw down the road, which is what most people knew it would do anyway. Admittedly the tailbacks aren't as long as they used to be, well going from Broughton to Preston at least, but a slip road at the D'Urton Lane roundabout going direct on to Eastway rather than up to the Broughton roundabout would help with the rush hour issues.

However, for those using it outside of the two rush hours it's fantastic.

Suppose it shows that the public transport services to North and East Preston are well below par so virtually everyone who works in these areas drives in. And of course that's only going to get worse as more housing get built in the area. In 10 years Eastway could be nightmare to drive down from Andertons Way up to Cottom Sports arena due to the sheer volume of traffic and the extra roundabouts and traffic lights which have sprung up. Not even sure if the new junction on the M55 will do much to help with that.
    Jillhad - a peaceful and tolerant fight back

Eastway and Garstang Road are an absolute nightmare. Every night the traffic is backed up as far as the D'urton Lane roundabout, sometimes even as far as Olivers Place.

All that bypass has done is shift one problem further down - so much for solving it! Can only see things getting worse as people move into the new houses - how the hell did they get the go ahead with no thought for the road infrastructure?

It's also a nightmare on Olivers Place with cars, lorries and busses fighting to get through the ridiculously parked cars.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville View Post
    Taking me 20 minutes to get from the Plungy Hotel roundabout to the M55 in the morning due to the solid traffic on the A6 toward Broughton roundabout. If you don't get past it by 07:20 then it's at least a 15 minute wait.
    Yeah A6 all the way back to Harris Park, even towards Withy Trees can be solid. Problem is travelling from there towards the junction at Broughton is the number of lights to get though on the way. Stopped by lights at the Bull, Lightfoot Lane and Eastway junction thing, where even more traffic just piles onto the A6.

Opposite side of the roundabout can back up all the way down the bypass as well, effectively turning it into a car park.

Re: Eastway, D’urton Lane situation hasn’t helped with the ‘rat run’ being shut off but I guess it’s only fair to residents down there.

Bypass good for the village of Broughton and off-peak traffic hours but rush hour nothing has changed. Ultimately the bypass has been needed for decades and has solved one problem, more problems have arisen since with volume of traffic and unfortunately much, much more investment will be needed to get the traffic in the area to flow more freely

Western distributor will help but not starting until 2019 apparently.
    Last edited by kbd_pne; 15-01-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shabbagaz View Post
    Eastway and Garstang Road are an absolute nightmare. Every night the traffic is backed up as far as the D'urton Lane roundabout, sometimes even as far as Olivers Place.

All that bypass has done is shift one problem further down - so much for solving it! Can only see things getting worse as people move into the new houses - how the hell did they get the go ahead with no thought for the road infrastructure?

It's also a nightmare on Olivers Place with cars, lorries and busses fighting to get through the ridiculously parked cars.
    Maybe PNE should propose to build a training ground in the area. Problem solved.

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by princeinpieces View Post
    Suppose it shows that the public transport services to North and East Preston are well below par so virtually everyone who works in these areas drives in. And of course that's only going to get worse as more housing get built in the area.
    Spot on.

The sheer amount of cars heading for that junction every single morning and evening is just an indictment of how poor public transport is firstly in the immediate area (think just one bus route, the 40/41, goes from Preston through Broughton), and also in the wider region (not a very attractive proposition for commuters using the train).

Plus as you say it's also an indictment of poor planning. I'm all for house building, because ultimately folk need somewhere to live, but the pace at which these houses are going up, all concentrated in certain areas too like Cottam, D'Urton Lane, Eastway and others, is frightening really. It's at least one, probably two, cars per house, all ready to use the roads in the area which just can't cope.

Reserve Team
    The absence of a direct link to Eastway is a golden opportunity missed. The mess that we find ourselves in will only get worse I'm afraid, for the many reasons already stated.

Approaching the roundabout going north, lane 1 is M55 only. Lane 2 is the sole feeder to the 2 lanes of A6 on the roundabout and beyond. As there is no filter left, should not both inside lanes be permitted to access the 2 lanes on the roundabout? As we probably all know, some drivers already do this from lane 1 anyway in what is currently a dangerous and selfish manoeuvre . Adjusting the road markings and signage correspondingly here could improve the flow slightly yet safely.

Planners have just kicked the can down the road - and it will only get worse as more and more houses are built in this area before the new link rd at Bartle gets completed (will believe that when i see it) Traffic queued back every night from the Ibis past broughton printers - bottleneck seems to be the lights at the feed in to the A6 nest to the fire station - coupled with the usual clowns who park across the box junction blocking access when the lights do change. There are more and more people doing the U turn outside the fire station despite the road signage.

I live in longsands and this does have a direct effect on my journey time - but whilst i have no problem with the construction of new houses i cannot understand why they are all being built BEFORE roads and public transport links are being improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
    Maybe PNE should propose to build a training ground in the area. Problem solved.

... I'm amazed you're the only one that leapt on that..
    Vote For John Brown