Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Trams in Preston (again!)

Youth Team
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville View Post
    Ironically one of the biggest causes is the single lane bridge in Grimsargh over the old railway line.
    True but if it managed to get to deepdale retail, gamull/redscar, it would cut a lot of traffic round there. I suspect it will just go from deepdale to somewhere in the city though and be quite useless for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by PrestonAl View Post
    True but if it managed to get to deepdale retail, gamull/redscar, it would cut a lot of traffic round there. I suspect it will just go from deepdale to somewhere in the city though and be quite useless for most people.
    Absolutely. My view as I've said many times before, is that a route from Deepdale through the City Centre is very far fetched as it would cause a lot of disruption and be expensive.

Whilst the old Preston-Longridge line would still need a lot of work to restore it to running order, the cost and disruption would be far far less than building across the ring road, Church Street, Fishergate etc. The route, between the M6 and Preston railway station at least, would also be far quicker as it would only need to cross Gammul Lane, Skevie Road and Deepdale Mill Street via level crossings.

Still early days but with Eric Wright Group on board the demonstration line should be up and running within the year. From there it's a matter of attracting investors and getting the council(s) on board.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySaville View Post
    Absolutely. My view as I've said many times before, is that a route from Deepdale through the City Centre is very far fetched as it would cause a lot of disruption and be expensive.

Whilst the old Preston-Longridge line would still need a lot of work to restore it to running order, the cost and disruption would be far far less than building across the ring road, Church Street, Fishergate etc. The route, between the M6 and Preston railway station at least, would also be far quicker as it would only need to cross Gammul Lane, Skevie Road and Deepdale Mill Street via level crossings.

Still early days but with Eric Wright Group on board the demonstration line should be up and running within the year. From there it's a matter of attracting investors and getting the council(s) on board.
    A tram line is certainly something the city needs, but if it's anything like the Broughton by-pass then I wouldn't be able to use it to get to work because I'll have retired by then. But if it's going to happen then it's got to be done right, having a 1 mile tram line between two random points isn't going to help anyone.

To me 4 lines are needed: Preston to Longridge - east. Preston to Garstang - North. Preston to Walton Summit - South. Preston to Longton - West (although it's more south west I know).
    Jillhad - a peaceful and tolerant fight back

Assistant Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by princeinpieces View Post
    To me 4 lines are needed: Preston to Longridge - east. Preston to Garstang - North. Preston to Walton Summit - South. Preston to Longton - West (although it's more south west I know).
    Agree, would all take so many cars off the road in the centre.

trams are needed for what?

Quote Originally Posted by flipper View Post
    trams are needed for what?
    polines!
    Bald and proud

Quote Originally Posted by sedgwick__7 View Post
    Agree, would all take so many cars off the road in the centre.
    Bit of an idea by numbers, but if it was done successfully, with a huge investment, one carriageway of the ring road between the courts and Old Black Bull pub could be used purely as a tram station/main hub with the other carriage way converted into a single lane two way road, given the number of cars needing to go through the town centre being drastically reduced if people from all directions had an alternative to using their cars.
    Jillhad - a peaceful and tolerant fight back

Quote Originally Posted by princeinpieces View Post
    Bit of an idea by numbers, but if it was done successfully, with a huge investment, one carriageway of the ring road between the courts and Old Black Bull pub could be used purely as a tram station/main hub with the other carriage way converted into a single lane two way road, given the number of cars needing to go through the town centre being drastically reduced if people from all directions had an alternative to using their cars.
    If it was cheap enough.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

My big problem has always been that the majority of traffic is going through Preston center to get somewhere else. South Ribble to Ashton, Penwortham to Fulwood etc. Unless you have a huge tram network you don`t help most of these people. But the media and the "powers that be" obsess about shopping and town center workers traffic.