Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: Lancashire CCC 2016

Assistant Manager
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38517892

I imagine this news will ease Hampshire's pain over losing McLaren.....

SA cricket may soon be in a bit of a mess.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholson View Post
    I think Chapple's been groomed for the job for the last couple of years, the only worry I have about him is that he is too close to certain players who've been under-performing for far too many years now and will he allow his friendship to get in the way of making professional decisions like dropping out of form players?

I do wonder what would happen if Lancashire followed the Yorkshire route of appointing a big name ex player from overseas to completely overhaul the club but everyone who falls into that category seems to already have a contract with an IPL or Big Bash team and Lancashire clearly can't/won't pay that kind of money.
    My biggest concern is Chapple's close ties with a number of the under performing players

A good friend of mine and a Lancashire member saw Chapple and the players you imply smashed out of their brains in a pub following a T20 defeat. We played again less than 48 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc373 View Post
    My biggest concern is Chapple's close ties with a number of the under performing players

A good friend of mine and a Lancashire member saw Chapple and the players you imply smashed out of their brains in a pub following a T20 defeat. We played again less than 48 hours later.
    I think everyone who follows Lanc's has known for some time that at some point in the future Chapple was going to get the head coach job but I do think right now it would have been better to bring in someone with no connection to the club who can be objective when it comes to the current group of players many of whom as I'm getting tired of saying have under performed for far too many years then give Chapple the job in about 5 years when the playing staff will be very different.

A couple of good kolpak signings by Hampshire, more that makes up for losing MacLaren. I'm no financial expert but I believe the value of South African Rand has been dropping for a long time and their economy is so bad I've heard stories about AB de Villiers being paid in dollars just to stop him taking the Chris Gayle route of prioritising T20 cricket over international cricket. I keep saying it but if Lancashire really want to strengthen they have to use the kolpak market now because this is going to be the last year counties will be able to use it, I'm sure the club isn't short of money they just don't like to spend it so much.
    love PNE, hate lasher's

Assistant Manager
    I wouldn't give the job to Chapple either, for similar reasons to Nicholson. It is my view that Chapple has been just as much at fault as Giles for poor recruitment and standing by under performing players like Brown. I'm clinging to the hope that the acting title in their job roles means they're chasing an established coach, the romantic in me hoping Wasim but I suspect other interests rule him out.

As for Kolpak, this year might be the last one that new players can be signed on Kolpak deals hence the long contracts for those two players. I also believe the ECB are still waiting on guidance for existing Kolpaks (Notts asked as soon as the referendum happened with regard to Brendan Taylor and are still waiting) but are working on the assumption that any existing contracts will be honoured and will be able to be renewed if wanted. There's apparently a few more South Africans wanting deals, I even saw Faf talked about as one.

Looking at our boards propensity for trying to save money the 1,100 per match fine per player may influence their thinking. However, radio 5 last night quoted 100,000 for Abbott per season (they were using it as a ball park figure but probably not far off) - we could just ask Rihanna to put on one more concert this year and pay for 11 Kolpaks!

Yeah defo need to dip into the saffer market. I really like van der Dussen who plays for the Lions http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafr...er/337790.html. Very clean hitter of the ball and got good numbers across all formats. But I have to say I get the impression nothing is even happening behind the scenes. They really should be scrambling to find the best players available to snap up