Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancashire CCC 2016

Assistant Manager
    Heroic stuff by Bresnan.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by justinr73 View Post
    Heroic stuff by Bresnan.
    Sounds like he's done very well.. and ridden his luck a bit too... and for sure it could go down as one of the real memorable innings for Yorkshire supporters.

Interesting scenario that I've not read about, or heard being discussed (it must have been though!). How will the game progress if Yorkshire are all out for 349 and (barring miracles at Somerset), cannot win the Championship?

Middlesex are behind in the game... time is beginning to move on now and a draw is no good to them... If Yorkshire get 348/9 (currently 327/7), it might actually be beneficial for Middlesex to give them a couple of extras... Make sure Yorkshire remain in with a real chance of the title and so will be "up for the chase" when Middlesex set them a total.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by justinr73 View Post
    Heroic stuff by Bresnan.
    Heroic stuff from Michael Richardson and Bryden Carse! They came together with Durham 186/7 ... but got past the follow on target. But as I type, Carse is out after they'd put on 79 for the 8th wicket.

It's great that they won't follow on, but they really need to dig in and hope their last two wickets can take time out of the game. Right now, Hampshire are still strong favourites.

I reckon that if Durham manage to bat through to tea, it would bring the game back to roughly 50/50 (equal chance of draw or a Hants win)... but that seems unlikely.

It's looking increasingly like we'll have to rely on Durham.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    Sounds like he's done very well.. and ridden his luck a bit too... and for sure it could go down as one of the real memorable innings for Yorkshire supporters.

Interesting scenario that I've not read about, or heard being discussed (it must have been though!). How will the game progress if Yorkshire are all out for 349 and (barring miracles at Somerset), cannot win the Championship?

Middlesex are behind in the game... time is beginning to move on now and a draw is no good to them... If Yorkshire get 348/9 (currently 327/7), it might actually be beneficial for Middlesex to give them a couple of extras... Make sure Yorkshire remain in with a real chance of the title and so will be "up for the chase" when Middlesex set them a total.
    I agree, if Yorkshire score another 9 runs from now and win the match they win the title. Somerset have done all they can and look likely to finish on 226 points. Middlesex are likely to have to go at scoring quickly to set Yorkshire a chase. This should play into Yorkshire's ahnds and I reckon they will win the title by a point.

As for Lancashire, I think we are totally dependent on Durham scraping a draw. I can't see our batting line up scoring the 300 plus we are likely to chase. Someone could make themselves a hero

Manager
    As if written... they've just gone off for bad light/rain at Lords with Yorkshire on.... 349/9. You could hardly make it up!

Clearly Middlesex have NOT been thinking about giving them that extra run. They've been desperately trying to get the last man out.

I wonder if they'll have this discussion now they're having a break. Maybe Yorkshire will find a way of suggesting it to them!

I'd definitely give them one run when they get back out there... then resume hostilities.

Very good partnership at the moment between Michael Richardson and Graham Onions, last I checked Durham were about 60 behind with 2 wickets remaining. When Hampshire bat again they'll be in a similar position to Middlesex, they'll have to score quickly to set up a declaration and leave themselves enough time to bowl Durham out again.
    love PNE, hate lasher's

Manager
    Unfortunately after some great resolution by Durham, the last 2 wickets fell quickly - giving Hants a handy lead of 60. If Durham had eeked out another 40 runs, Hampshire would have needed to spend a bit of time building their innings, but I think they can afford to be quite aggressive almost from the off. I don't expect Hampshire to bat much into tomorrow morning. Probably leave themselves two and a half sessions to bowl out Durham on a 4th day pitch.

Can't complain... it's great that Durham have battled so hard and given themselves a chance of a draw. Warwickshire now 265 ahead with 6 wickets down. Looks like we'll face 300 or more - and need to survive for 3 and a half sessions.

Come on Durham!

Manager
    Middlesex and Yorkshire unlucky with the weather. For the first day and a half, you would not have bet on a draw... but it's looking a possibility now.

Warwickshire declared giving us 347 to win. Hampshire now 108-5 leading by 158. Jones out lbw already 4-1. Come on Durham!

Hampshire 108-6 we still have a chance.

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ben damph View Post
    Warwickshire declared giving us 347 to win. Hampshire now 108-5 leading by 158. Jones out lbw already 4-1. Come on Durham!

Hampshire 108-6 we still have a chance.
    Come on Hameed... be a hero and bat out the remaining 12 overs today and 96 overs tomorrow - it's the sort of thing you must dream of!

Best thing about Hants losing those wickets is that it slows them down. They clearly took a risk on scoring quickly, knowing they could dig in if they lost a few wickets... They'd been scoring at a rate of knots but just 25 off the last 10 overs.

They're 175 ahead at 125/6. If they can get another 50 runs runs, they'll be favourites but it's going to be a thriller.

Has anyone seen any up to date odds on relegation. Right now, I bet they Warwickshire are fairly long odds... and we'll be a little shorter odds than Hants.