Preston during world war 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pnematic View Post
    The regiment stationed on the " Yankee Camp " was a black only regiment as they were segregated back then ( incredible now ).
    The Yankee Wall was a firing range - just a tall long brick structure - used to play there as a youngster. It was next to the railway track under the motorway bridge. Kids were still finding spent cartridges years later.

The Briggers took the black lads to their hearts - the black guys amazed that were treated as equals for once. It's a documentary asking to be done. Apparently there was much hostility from the locals towards the white MPs after the tragic events.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a3677385.shtml

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/about_us/case...dge_report.php

Comment

Thanks Essex

Comment

Originally posted by trucker white View Post
        Also the modern building next to the Harris was as a result of bomb damage
        Do you mean Crystal House? (the one with Turtle Bay, Cotswold Outdoors etc at the bottom)

It was built to replace the old town hall, but it wasn't bomb damage. It burnt down in 1947 and was the remains were eventually demolished in 1962. What a building the old town hall was!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
          Do you mean Crystal House? (the one with Turtle Bay, Cotswold Outdoors etc at the bottom)

It was built to replace the old town hall, but it wasn't bomb damage. It burnt down in 1947 and was the remains were eventually demolished in 1962. What a building the old town hall was!

Didn't know that cheers my mistake , was always told it was bomb damage

Comment

Is it true, that rubble from the demolition of that building can be found along the banks of the ribble? Sure it was mentioned in the LEP years ago, that they used it to "shore up?" the banks of the ribble, to stop erosion?

Comment

Originally posted by northender0602 View Post
              Is it true, that rubble from the demolition of that building can be found along the banks of the ribble? Sure it was mentioned in the LEP years ago, that they used it to "shore up?" the banks of the ribble, to stop erosion?
              They did, you can still see all the stone work at the edge of the river near, the foot/cycle path up along from the conti and avenham park pavillion.
              Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post

What a huge loss. That building was a masterpiece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Ian Bogie - Preston North End Director

Comment

Originally posted by IanBogie9 View Post

The number of unique and impressive buildings lost over the years in Preston is really sad.
                  It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBogie9 View Post

That place looked amazing, like a single solid rock. Buildings like that make you feel safe.

Comment

Stunning building I wish I could have seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by The End Game View Post
                        Based on the Cloth Hall in Ypres I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The End Game View Post
                          +1 our own "little" Big Ben

Worth learning from the past - a modern war
                          would imo have a lot more devastation.

Drop the Nukes(not literally)

Comment

Working...
                          X