The Park Hotel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Park Hotel

I`ve just aquired a postcard with an aerial view of Preston showing The Park Hotel, the railway station and the parks leading down to the river, possibly 1920`s.

Bearing in mind the new City status Preston does seem to lack a quality central hotel, what a pity this building in its magnificent position could not be turned into a hotel again.

What is it used for currently?

When did it close as a hotel?

Are there any publications about it?

Re: The Park Hotel

It's currently the HQ of Lancashire County Council,converted sometime in the 1950's.
    Kendal Pest Control Services.
    All vermin legitimately controlled by our expert team.

I int leaving this field 'til I've gitten yan!.

Comment

A bit more info....
      It was designed by the Oldham Architect,Arnold Mitchell,for the London and North-Western and Lancashire and Yorkshire railway companies.
      Built in 1882 in red Ruabon brick with a red tiled roof,it has a frontage over Miller Park of 174 feet,with a tower that rises to a height of 113 feet and 9 inches.
      Kendal Pest Control Services.
      All vermin legitimately controlled by our expert team.

I int leaving this field 'til I've gitten yan!.

Comment

I worked there for 13 years and it was the best days of my working life. Inside each floor was made up of long corridors with small rooms leading off. These rooms usually had 2-5 people in and were ideal for table cricket etc. The "The Office" open planned offices of today are crap in comparison. The building really had some history. In the cellar there was copies of hundreds of very old government health acts of parliament plus dated Lancets and British Medical Journals.
        The Tower was one of my favourite lunch time visits, i took some great piccies up there. Half way up on the first level was a room full of chalkings of the morse alphabet and also some morse messages. Apparently it was used in the 2nd world war for sending messages. I remember one message dated near the end of the war saying " Victory is in sight". Also there was a big water tank where the "White lady" was drowned. She apparently haunts the Park Hotel.
        Up at the tower top you would climb out through the windows. The views of Preston are fantastic especially right down the docks. This is where they fly the big union jack flag from. I wonder does anyone remember a massive union jack at Walsall away (the old ground, Fellows park i thnk) very early 80,s. Mmmmm wonder where that came from .

Comment

Cheers Barton, super snaps. Always admired the old hotel whilst on my walks through the park, it is a magnificent building. I would love to get up that tower to take some pics over Preston.

Comment

I wish they’d knock down that monstrosity which was built next to it in the 50’s!!

Totally spoils the view of this magnificent building, especially when entering Preston on the train from the south!
            Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

Comment

Thanks Barton.

Any more pics, especially inside the building and over to the railway and shopping centre side.

Comment

No Probs, I have a few pics inside the building but they have people on + myself. Quite a few on here know me and i would get 2 much grief if they saw what i looked like in the early 80,s. (longish hair and wonderful physique) plus obviously it would get all the female contintent of the board far to excited.
                Just notice the shapes and the makes of the cars on the car park pic. The one looking towards town shows Mount Street and the side of the Old Catholic College , no big cark park on left as there is now.

Comment

I think i took the pictures with an old Helena camera which cost next to nothing. I wish i could go back up there and take the same pics with my 6.2 million pixel digital one i have now.
                  They where the best working days of my life. It was hard work fitting the work in round all the dinner time drinking sessions we had for any excuse of a do. I think we even went for a drink to celebrate the first Friday in the week.
                  If i find any more i will put them on here and let you know Thonker.

Comment

Cracking pictures, thanks for sharing them!

Comment

Thanks again Barton, more interesting stuff.

It would make a fantastic Hotel again, or better still luxury apartments.

Position and views are wonderful, bit of a waste being offices now.

Comment

A few years ago, I went to an excellent lecture in the building organised by UNISON. It was given by the diminutive local historian, and altogther wonderful woman Marian Roberts, who now lives near her daughter in Norwich as she's well into her 80's. It was on the history of the building, but I don't remember too much about it.

What I do recall is that like many railway hotels, it was sold off by British Railways in about 1952 after nationisation. At the time, it had about 55 bedrooms, but only 6 bathrooms, so not really up to currant standards. Marian had a hotel tarriff from the turn of the century; it cost more to have a guest's dog or horse put up overnight than what you had to pay for one of your servants to stay in the dorm for such people. She also read from Joyce Grenfell's diary when the entertainer stayed there just afteer the war. It was a hilarious account of the dragon of a hotel receptionist employed there at the time. You might find this in Waterstones.

If you want to know more, all Marion's papers were donated to the County Record Library before she left Preston. I wish I'd taped that lecture.

Anyone can go into the reception hall though not into the rest of the building. The hall has a magnificent staircase and wonderful ceramic tiling which was renovated a few years ago. Well worth a look.

Comment

I have a few Avenham park pics in my photobucket album

Comment

Fascinating pics Barton. Wonder what the odds are on any of those cars still being on the road?
                            It's you and me against the world...
                            When do we attack?

Comment

The Park Hotel brings back memories of music exams for the piano......that was where they were held.

Comment

Working...
                              X