Fairways on Blackpool Rd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigtow View Post
    Was dangerous, big sand avalanches, don't remember it being guarded or monitored. Was it storage for sand, can't see it being there naturally
    Was it something to do with Crofts? My mum mentioned something about them, sure it was that area?

Comment

Originally posted by northender0602 View Post
      Was it something to do with Crofts? My mum mentioned something about them, sure it was that area?
      It was part of Crofts Brickworks with a Clay pit at the back.
      They occasionally dumped bath shaped vessels in the pit which we used as canoes to sail around the pit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtow View Post
        Was dangerous, big sand avalanches, don't remember it being guarded or monitored. Was it storage for sand, can't see it being there naturally
        I'm not sure of the origins of the sand pits but by the time we used them in the 70s they were largely grassed over, a bit like the sand dunes at St Anne's. There was also a horrible land fill site there that stank.
        Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by beagleman View Post
          Following the success of my thread re the toy shop on Plungington, am I right or not that there used to be a petrol station where Fairways VW garage is now ? Opposite the old Perrys site. Seem to recall a drive on petrol station there in 70s or 80s ? May be wrong. Not the one opposite Romford Rd btw. Cheers boys n girls.
          Correct. It was a Texaco petrol station and was there upto about 10-15 years ago, then knocked down and the VW garage took over the space. This is where it was located https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post
            I'm not sure of the origins of the sand pits but by the time we used them in the 70s they were largely grassed over, a bit like the sand dunes at St Anne's. There was also a horrible land fill site there that stank.
            I remember it well from my youth across the lines to the sand pits on my chopper. Great fun in the sand "dunes" stinky water ponds around and always old empty oil drums. I guess now letting kids go to such a place would be a bit dodgy but that wasn't considered in the early 70's

Comment

Working...
            X