Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New pub for Preston?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by riverkiller View Post
    It would seem that the bloke who runs the Moorbrook is taking over at the Hearts of Oak following an imminent refurbishment.
    Yeah he's taken on the lease from Inns & Leisure, a local pubco. His cask, fridge and one keg tap will be free of tie with everything else Heineken tied.

    Going to be a superb and very busy Conti to Plungy Hotel crawl soon once Plug, Plau & HoO are all open.

    Comment


    • Just come back from a weekend in York, quite a few little micro places springing up, probably the way forward on the high street, with shops shutting at the rate they are. Went to a bar on the train station, plenty of choice, and one of the cheapest rounds all weekend, Cheapest being the Bluebell on Fossgate?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by northender0602 View Post
        Just come back from a weekend in York, quite a few little micro places springing up, probably the way forward on the high street, with shops shutting at the rate they are. Went to a bar on the train station, plenty of choice, and one of the cheapest rounds all weekend, Cheapest being the Bluebell on Fossgate?
        We're heading to York for our minimoon week after next. Can't wait to try our what seems to be a plethora of great pubs and bars serving some excellent ale.

        Comment


        • Plug & Tap on Lune Street to open on Thursday.

          Plau now saying they will be opening in September whilst The Moorbrook take over of the Hearts of Oak is complete and is also aiming for September.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by AndySaville View Post
            Plug & Tap on Lune Street to open on Thursday.

            Plau now saying they will be opening in September whilst The Moorbrook take over of the Hearts of Oak is complete and is also aiming for September.
            Serious question.

            Do you think therell come a point where there is too many of these?
            "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

            Justin Welby

            Comment


            • Originally posted by raefil View Post
              Serious question.

              Do you think therell come a point where there is too many of these?
              Not if they keep things fresh. Good ale will be constantly popular but probably not so much this American craft beer shite.

              Plau is a gin bar, not sure how long that fad will last, vile stuff. Everywhere in town seems to have jumped on the bandwagon.

              It'll be another spirit soon that gets the big marketing treatment, probably rum.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sf View Post
                It'll be another spirit soon that gets the big marketing treatment, probably rum.
                The owner of Orchard said this recently prior to its opening -

                Gary said: “We wanted to open something which would compliment the Ale House rather than compete with it.

                “It retains our ethos of dealing with small micro-breweries and we’ll also use it as a chance to expand the types of drinks we do.

                “Gin is still a big thing and I think rum is going to expand in the next 12 to 18 months.”
                http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2018/01...ns-new-market/

                Comment


                • Originally posted by raefil View Post
                  Serious question.

                  Do you think therell come a point where there is too many of these?
                  Who knows Phil.

                  Bamber Bridge will soon have three new micropubs along with the four existing pubs, are there enough drinkers both of cask/craft ale and mainstream lager/cider etc to keep all of them in business? Will the quality of the micropubs bring people from Lostock Hall, Clayton Brook, Brindle etc and benefit all establishments?

                  Your neck of the woods was where the micropub revolution began locally when the Shepherds Hall Ale House opened a few years back and there has since been another seven or eight others join it. One or two have either closed or changed hands but it seems most are still going strong with the ale in pubs like the Prince of Wales, Crown and Malt N Hops (which was already good) improving to compete.

                  Whilst I'm very excited to see Plugs join the likes of The Moorbrook, Guild Ale House, Orchard etc I feel Preston's ale scene needs to be shouted from the rooftops to get drinkers from the suburbs and beyond travelling here to experience the 'crawl' whilst putting into the collective tills in the way they go to Manchester, Lancaster, Hebdon Bridge and even Leyland. If that becomes a thing then Preston may even see a couple more places open. If it doesn't then it won't be long before one closes (probably Orchard given its struggling for custom outside the weekend).

                  Of course a certain football club getting to the Premier League and increasing the number of home and visiting supporters would help no end!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by sf View Post
                    Not if they keep things fresh. Good ale will be constantly popular but probably not so much this American craft beer shite.

                    Plau is a gin bar, not sure how long that fad will last, vile stuff. Everywhere in town seems to have jumped on the bandwagon.

                    It'll be another spirit soon that gets the big marketing treatment, probably rum.
                    Which 'shite' is that?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by sf View Post
                      Not if they keep things fresh. Good ale will be constantly popular but probably not so much this American craft beer shite.

                      Plau is a gin bar, not sure how long that fad will last, vile stuff. Everywhere in town seems to have jumped on the bandwagon.

                      It'll be another spirit soon that gets the big marketing treatment, probably rum.
                      Correct, it is supposed to be rum. Would have to go a long way to beat Kraken.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sf View Post
                        Not if they keep things fresh. Good ale will be constantly popular but probably not so much this American craft beer shite.

                        Plau is a gin bar, not sure how long that fad will last, vile stuff. Everywhere in town seems to have jumped on the
                        It'll be another spirit soon that gets the big marketing treatment, probably rum.
                        Read a couple of months back that Rum is the next “hip” drink.

                        Plau is also doing ales, so they could do well, sadly I can’t partake of real ale anymore, so now I have to source “real” ciders.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by AndySaville View Post
                          Which 'shite' is that?
                          All of it really, not my thing.

                          Big Wave is ok.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sf View Post
                            All of it really, not my thing.

                            Big Wave is ok.
                            Big Wave is dogshit comapred to most of the 'shite' you have instantly written off......

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Randall Flagg View Post
                              Big Wave is dogshit comapred to most of the 'shite' you have instantly written off......
                              Tried a lot of it, not my thing, don't throw a paddy about it.

                              Doubt we will even see the stuff in pubs in a few years time.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by raefil View Post
                                Serious question.

                                Do you think therell come a point where there is too many of these?
                                Think there is a long way to go yet before there are too many, certainly in Preston. In the centre of Preston there is only two Micro Pubs, and Im not sure The Guild Ale House qualifies for this as its not a bad size with the upstairs. The better the general night time offer, the more people will come into town.

                                What is likely to happen is the dross will struggle more unless they change or really concentrate on their market

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X